404 .050 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely agree! That's why I didn't give up finding some chain for a 58 year old saw that I'm working on.

I moreso meant that it sucks that it's getting hard to find stuff because at some point it was decided to discontinue it.
Need to mass email oregon to remake a batch lol

Need to mass email oregon to remake a batch lol

You know you're not kidding that there's no reason that Oregon couldn't keep making at least ONE variety of chains like 404 pitch in 050 and 058 gauge. I previously emailed them about the 058 gauge and the customer service rep was basically just like "yeah sorry, we don't make that any more..."

Lost sales!

You know you're not kidding that there's no reason that Oregon couldn't keep making at least ONE variety of chains like 404 pitch in 050 and 058 gauge. I previously emailed them about the 058 gauge and the customer service rep was basically just like "yeah sorry, we don't make that any more..."

Lost sales!
If it was profitable someone would make it. TriLink lists .404 .058 25 ft. reels in a 2018 catalog

I been browsing the 100’ rolls of saw chain in 404” .063” full chisel skip, full semi chisel Skip, and semi chisel skip.

I sent Oregon a message about making d009 Mount bars with sprocket noses for 404” .063 ga shorter lengths like 16”, 18”, 20”, 24” for my bigger saws.

We were running .404 in the late 50`s on almost every saw we had, in the shop at home there was hundreds of feet in loops hanging on nails, back then it came in all gauges . Looking back on some of the old chain we had there was Oregon in .404 X .050 # 50AC3 chipper, .404 X .063 # 52AC3 in chipper, .404 Pulpmaster # 52CP3 , Micro Bit # 59AC3 and Micro Guard # 59CP3.

Lost sales!

You probably will see 404 in the future only available in 080 for harvester use, how much 404 is still sold and used daily besides 18 or 19hx?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You probably will see 404 in the future only available in 080 for harvester use, how much 404 is still sold and used daily besides 18 or 19hx?

I have no idea... but I did see more than a few guys talking about transitioning to 404 chain on their bigger saws due to some benefits of the bigger chain.

Maybe it will have a resurgence?

I have no idea... but I did see more than a few guys talking about transitioning to 404 chain on their bigger saws due to some benefits of the bigger chain.

Maybe it will have a resurgence?

I’m coming at it from a fallers point of view how many times a year do we pull out a long bar say 50” on up with the big saw? Not many that sort of sales is what drives that market out here on the west coast you’re seeing less and less fallers because of insurance as well as machines being much more capable.

There’s still a demand for long and short bars with 404” chain? The 2100’s came with 404” chain, with 24” bars when I bought mine.

Looking at my 20” 404/063 bar / full chisel chain Oregon did a nice job grinding the gullet.

I’m coming at it from a fallers point of view how many times a year do we pull out a long bar say 50” on up with the big saw? Not many that sort of sales is what drives that market out here on the west coast you’re seeing less and less fallers because of insurance as well as machines being much more capable.

No doubt with modern technology the role of large one man saws is not what it used to be. At my old job at a tree service, we had one big saw, a Husky 3120. It only got used on the occasion that we took down a big tree .

That said, the saw i am working on has a 404 but only a short bar (20", i think). So it's not very long but it does have a 95cc engine, to run the big chain. So.... maybe 404 has value on shorter bars also?

The 404” tooth is longer over the 3/8” tooth, the 404” chain lasts longer over the 3/8” tooth.

There’s still a demand for long and short bars with 404” chain? The 2100’s came with 404” chain, with 24” bars when I bought mine.
At the time 404 was still widely used heck they were still cutting old growth out here then.

No doubt with modern technology the role of large one man saws is not what it used to be. At my old job at a tree service, we had one big saw, a Husky 3120. It only got used on the occasion that we took down a big tree .

That said, the saw i am working on has a 404 but only a short bar (20", i think). So it's not very long but it does have a 95cc engine, to run the big chain. So.... maybe 404 has value on shorter bars also?
Do you really need that big of a saw for that short of a bar? Probably not it’s more of a kick back risk especially if it’s a newer power head that spins more rpms. Take a 395 I’ll run up to a 60” bar on one for the here and there either place with no footing or oversized/special order tree that needs to come out of a stand.

Locally few dealers of any brand keep much .404 in stock. Cannot remember the last time I saw it on a saw, even the 60” 880 setup I use for milling is in 3/8” and I own a lot of .404, might switch back to .404 after the current chain is done, that way it would match the 076s.

Personally I would rather see a run of 1/2” chisel get reintroduce to the market, if somebody was going to do .404 it better be tall in the tooth.

At the time 404 was still widely used heck they were still cutting old growth out here then.

Do you really need that big of a saw for that short of a bar? Probably not it’s more of a kick back risk especially if it’s a newer power head that spins more rpms. Take a 395 I’ll run up to a 60” bar on one for the here and there either place with no footing or oversized/special order tree that needs to come out of a stand.

Nope not a newer power head... it's a 58 year old saw with no chainbrake. Gonna hold on tight to the SOB.

That's just how it came originally, with 404. I wouldn't bother converting it to 404 if it was already 3/8.

Attachments

• 20191122_190323.jpg
    20191122_190323.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Nope not a newer power head... it's a 58 year old saw with no chainbrake. Gonna hold on tight to the SOB.

That's just how it came originally, with 404. I wouldn't bother converting it to 404 if it was already 3/8.

Makes my hands hurt just thinking about running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back