Special motor? for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what is trying to be said about vertical motors is this.
Many vertical motors have lightweight aluminum flywheels, and they still start and run properly due to the mass of the mower blade adding to the rotating mass.
If you used a push mower engine with a light weight flywheel on a wood splitter without the blade, the engine would lack torque and in my experience are harder to get started due to less momentum to keep the engine turning.
I know many of the old briggs and tecumseh engines used an aluminum flywheel on a mower application, and a cast iron flywheel for a non mower, such as pressure washer.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Lawn mower engines do not run well with out some flywheel mass. They are easy to make, but take a little time. A 1/2'' 8'' to 10'' plate with a hole drilled to match some what close to the crank shaft will do it. Hold the disk with a bolt that matches the hole in the disk, gently spin the disk with a grinder to true it up until its close then run it in a drill to see if it shakes. Bolt it on to your shaft then you can forget about it. Lawnmower motors are very cheap. I was given four of five of then in the last year. Thanks

I hate when a day goes by without learning something, so I thank all of you, this has been informative. As for me, I currently am running a 3 1/2 hp 3 phase
with a VFD converter. Works great splitting in the shop during the worst weather in a tee shirt. The old briggs was getting cantankerous and I thought
with a cheap gas motor I could swap out and take it to the woods on the nice days. The cheap motors say for lawn mower only, while the higher price ones
say mutiple use. So for now I will just stay with electric. Thanks again.
David

Here is a Harbor Freight Predator motor I installed on a free 20 ton husky splitter. The splitter was given to me by a friend. it had a bad motor and low on hydraulic oil. The Predator motor 's shaft was about 1/8" longer than stock so I just used washers as spacers and it fit and runs very well.
Hope this helpsrodgers + saws splitter 007.JPG

Here is a Harbor Freight Predator motor I installed on a free 20 ton husky splitter. The splitter was given to me by a friend. it had a bad motor and low on hydraulic oil. The Predator motor 's shaft was about 1/8" longer than stock so I just used washers as spacers and it fit and runs very well.
Hope this helpsView attachment 774698
i have the same engine on a 1962 front tine tiller , they run very well.. it is still working fine after 2 years , i also had the same problem , with a longer crank shaft i used a cut- off wheel and shaved 1/2 inch off the crank ....:)

I bought a predator 346 in 2012 that motor is longer sold . Getting a little off topic but I use about the fuel than the flat head Briggs . Running a 16 gallon pump about idle is all it needs to run it. Letting it set for months don’t remember ever pulling more than 2 times

We put a 6HP vertical BS Murray mower engine on my buddies 20T splitter about 10 years ago,,, starts first pull as it has a pruner bulb... lots of torque, actually runs at about idle unless it hits a crotch,,, just check teh oil level and split wood!!!!

Thanks all, When the time comes to replace it will likely be a predator

I went with the HF predator to replace the Koehler on my TSC 22T (speeco) that was about 8 y/o last winter
It was a super easy bolt in and starts nice & runs pretty quiet.
Only 1 year on it, but no complaints at all (great price with the sale & coupon also)

Back