Husqvarna 545v2 or 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Another useless thread from me...

No money to buy but they can't take away my dreams.

I have a 445 (45cc) and I've always wanted it to be a little lighter, but I have also wanted a little more power with a 16" bar.
No big trees in my area I'm just impatient in the cut.

Any thoughts?

Why a V2? An older 545 could be had for less(maybe even less than a 543) and is more than powerful enough with a 16"

The few times I see saws like this in the ads on my side of the pond they want almost the same price as a new one, perhaps 20% off... might as well buy a new one if I have saved that kind of money to spend.
The 545v2 and 543XP is in the same cost segment, the 543 is a few bucks more.

545v1 13” feels really nice in my hands, being light and nimble. I’d not want any less power than this at 16”.

543/13” sounds good on paper, haven’t run one, though. But I love the smaller form factor of the 238/242/246, which this saw mimics. Almost pulled the trigger on an xpg version a few times, but the $800 to get it here has been tough to swallow.

543 was not a top seller. It is extremely stuffed up in stock form and needs at least a muffler mod to wake up. Also it is quite pricey for what you are getting.

545 is a solid saw again not sold all that often around here because most dealers only stock the 550 for this space.

Have you done a muffler mod and timing advance to your 445? You could probably make up 3/4 of the performance gap between your saw and a stock 545 if you did.

543 was not a top seller. It is extremely stuffed up in stock form and needs at least a muffler mod to wake up. Also it is quite pricey for what you are getting.

545 is a solid saw again not sold all that often around here because most dealers only stock the 550 for this space.

Have you done a muffler mod and timing advance to your 445? You could probably make up 3/4 of the performance gap between your saw and a stock 545 if you did.

I want a solid and good saw that I can depend on for the rest of my life, not a plastic fantastic screaming for mercy.

Depend if you just have to purchase a new saw....
New saw, 545 instead of 543 anyday. I would only bought a 545 with the last updated, AT12 carb & 6 bolt case.
If your budget is limited, a nicely used 346 XPG NE is a winner!

Thanks, 545v2 it is.

Thanks all for your valuable time and input, may all your days be prosperous.

I think people underestimate the durability of a well built homeowner saw. ;)

If I never entered this forum, I would still believe my 445 was the best saw in the world. I would be plenty happy with it for years to come and I would be happily unaware of what the alternatives would be.
Of course it's all in my head whatever it is, but I figured that if I feed the chainsaw bug this juicy chainsaw - it will become so satisfied and lazy that it will leave me alone and I will be able to sleep at night never wanting to buy another chainsaw.
That's the plan anyway...

It will only get worse.

I’m at the point of CAD where I’m most impressed with saws that run better than they should regardless of if they are pro or homeowner.

I like my 543 with a 15". That being said, it has a very specific niche in my lineup, and is mostly used for cutting smaller stuff (8-10" max, whether hard- or soft-wood) or limbing up a felled tree, when the job site allows two saws at my feet. I have hundreds of hours on mine, and it still has issues every now and again, cold or hot, where it bogs down or has trouble getting gas. If you are slash-cutting lots of standing pole-wood over 6-8", i would steer away from the 543.

In the coming months, I'm going to have the muffler opened up and the carb either cleaned or replaced, which will hopefully have it running more like my old 350.

The 545 has significantly more horsepower than the 543, which may make a large difference for you.

Back