First couple weeks of burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m trying to keep deer in my woods and not run them out until I’m done hunting them. Then cutting will begin again.

Gotcha.

If it is a normal activity the deer will not leave. That has been my experience at least.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I’ve burnt a lot of wood for Texas. I’ve noticed some of my customers are rolling through theirs too. I’ve burnt 1/2 cord of mulberry and 1/4 of cedar. I’ve got another 1/4 of cedar to burn and then back to mulberry. I’m so tired of the sticky cedar, but I’ve got strict rules that we don’t fill the burn pit with big tree trimmings. It’s just tree trimming wood from trees I took out this summer. I’ll burn mine if its down to 50 at night, big ole house with no floor insulation.
Electric for this month was $200 that’s good for me, 100% electric place. Even the water.

I had a nice size buck watch me take down a beech nut. He waited and came over to eat the nuts. Not sure why him, I guess he had seen plenty of me cutting so it was not a threat.

Deer are immune to ATV noise and they know heavy equipment and/or power equipment running means an easy meal.

Prior to logging I hunted a prime chunk of public land. I was always set up prior to shooting time. I routinely had deer around me in pre-dawn and would watch how they acted when my hung over neighbors rode ATV's by at daylight. Even if the wheelers were within 50 yards, the deer would freeze and watch the wheeler drive by then go about their business as soon as the wheeler was over 250 yards away.

Several of the largest bucks taken in our area were shot by loggers. They knew we were in a good area and always chose to log the tracts of public land during deer season.

I may have mentioned earlier I am hoping to cut another half cord this weekend. I could load that right into my furnace room storage area which would save me a step from putting out on the pile. If weather stays mild another half cord should get me another ten days.

I am almost though my pine which leaves me with about 8 cords of hardwood to get through the rest of the winter. So depending on severity and length would determine if I run out. Not the end of the world if I ran out in March as I have a full tank of propane as well.

Unusually mild late autumn here so far. Been burning loosely since mid October, but have barely scratched a face cord. Might be for the better, because we are about to give a generous seasoned wood donation to some friends who are about to install a woodstove.

Maybe a handful of morning frosts, but the daytime temps have been in the 50's, today was low 60's.

IMG_2310.jpg
A little maintenance. In cat bypass mode the stove worked well. With a bank of coals switching to catalytic mode resulted in low flue temps with seasoned wood. After cleaning, and poking each chamber clear on the element, it looked to be in good condition, and she burns very good. This much fouling must be coming from cleaning the flue pipe, as I think the air flow is from the bottom up.

Probably at two cords but most of it was box elder so not doing too bad yet. Started later than last year and I hope I can finish earlier than last year!

Got my electric bill today.

The bill for my dedicated circuit that includes my water pumps and electric boiler (which is on standby) came out to a grand total of $7.54 so all of the cost was from operating the pumps. So that’s a lot better than the 350-600 dollar bills I would have been seeing if I wasn’t burning wood.

12 weeks into burning and I’ve burned 6 cords so far. The good thing is I haven’t pulled a single stick out of my wood pile since December 29th. Every single piece since then has been scrounged from within 1/2 mile of my home.

I’ve got another pine that should amount to 1/3 cord that I’ll process this weekend provided the weather holds out.

Sweet! It's been so mild I don't think I'll need to get into my oak stash. Probably 1-1.5 cords less than I was last year at this point.

Sweet! It's been so mild I don't think I'll need to get into my oak stash. Probably 1-1.5 cords less than I was last year at this point.
That is good!

Most of the last month I have been burning standing dead aspen which is not exactly bone dry. I am sure I would have saved a solid half cord of consumption or more if I was hitting the hardwoods.

Back