Porting gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Whats a decent outfit for porting? I have been looking at a couple of them on Amazon but they aren't true 90 degree heads.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the 90 degree heads would be so limited on who made them. Well guess I will be ordering in the Marathon and going from there.

FWIW, you will want separate bits for your right angle. The rear of the shafts on standard 1/8” will constantly get in your way. I shortened a whole set.
I was under the impression that the Marathon used 2.35mm shafts rather than 3mm(1/8") shafts. They still had to be cut down and an groove cut into them with a flat, at least according to the video I watched maybe something has changed since then.

That sounds like a PITA. Why would you go that route instead of a foredom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds like a PITA. Why would you go that route instead of a foredom?

The price, I'm not in it to do it full time. The Marathon is only about $100. Foredom's are really nice but they have been over priced forever in my opinion.

Get the motor and foot pedal from harbor freight, get 1/4” chuck piece from skarr on the other site, grab a small hand piece from anywhere, and a right hand piece from CC Spec. After that you’ll need burrs, cutting them down does help when in small jugs. You’ll need a split mandrel for finishing work and some sand paper. Looking at around $500 or less for everything. Gotta pay to play. You can do upper transfers without a 90 degree tool but they won’t turn out as nice. Next buy a lathe plus tooling :laugh:

The price, I'm not in it to do it full time. The Marathon is only about $100. Foredom's are really nice but they have been over priced forever in my opinion.

They make Chinese knockoffs if price is the issue. Would save you from modding bits and you can add handpieces in the future.

another option would be using a dremel, name brand or not with the detail pen attachment. Works just as good as a flex shaft setup but are limited to one size and style of grinder.

I have the Dremel with a flex shaft on it now with basically the detail pen but what are you using for you angle attachment to get to the upper ports?

The older version of this. Dremel with flex shaft.

I have the Dremel with a flex shaft on it now with basically the detail pen but what are you using for you angle attachment to get to the upper ports?

The older version of this. Dremel with flex shaft.

You can do uppers with a ball burr or cut off wheels. But I ponied up awhile back for the cc speciality 90 degree piece. I bought all my stuff piece by piece with the lathe being last. First few saws I did I had a machine shop do the cutting. I didn’t feel like shelling out good cash for something I wasn’t sure I would enjoy doing for awhile. Glad I did though. If you need machine work done I don’t mind doing it for a little $$

I looked at the HF model and it's nothing like the grinder I have. I know a lot of people that have used the HF motor for years. There is also a 3000 rpm difference.
I noticed it's I think 1/6hp, but considering I am doing this stuff with even a smaller Dremel it would be a step up, but mine cuts plenty fast for me right now and it's mainly the angle piece I need the most.

I noticed it's I think 1/6hp, but considering I am doing this stuff with even a smaller Dremel it would be a step up, but mine cuts plenty fast for me right now and it's mainly the angle piece I need the most.
Right the 90° handpiece is a game changer. It's also extremely expensive! The HF said it was 15,000rpm and mine is 18,000.

Back