Next saw Stihl MS 271 or MS 261 C-M ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel71

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to pick up a new saw. I have a 4 yr old Dolmar 5105.
My 5105 is in good shape and I can trade in to a new 271 for $100 or less.
Going up to a new 261 C-M would cost me about $275.
Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my place and any
future storm damage.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the 5105. It's just that it has more than a
few hours on it and there are no dealers around here.
I'm cutting less and was wondering about stepping down to a farm/ranch saw.
I really like the 261. The extra $ over the 271 isn't that bad. I guess it's a case
of buy once cry once. Anyway I really like the 261.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the 5105. It's just that it has more than a
few hours on it and there are no dealers around here.
I'm cutting less and was wondering about stepping down to a farm/ranch saw.
I really like the 261. The extra $ over the 271 isn't that bad. I guess it's a case
of buy once cry once. Anyway I really like the 261.
That Dolmar will last many many more years. 4 years old with 10-12 hours a month is nothing for that saw . If you like it, keep it. I wouldn't worry about a dealer, you can get anything you need for it online. If you really want a 261, then go get you one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dolmar has more than 10-12 hours a month on it. Probably
more like 6-8 hours per week. It still looks good and I can
easily get 300 maybe 350 for it.

Future cutting hours on replacement is only a prediction.
(Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my
place and any future storm damage.)

Between those two saws, 261 no question, I have both, they are dimensionally the same, and even share the same piston, but run them side by side and the 271 is a heavy slow slug of a thing. Never ran a Dolmar like yours, but if it still runs well I wouldn't be too concerned about continuing to use it, 6-8 hours a week is still nothing on a quality saw.

Dolmar has more than 10-12 hours a month on it. Probably
more like 6-8 hours per week. It still looks good and I can
easily get 300 maybe 350 for it.

Future cutting hours on replacement is only a prediction.
(Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my
place and any future storm damage.)

Obviously when it comes down to it, if you want to trade it in for a new saw then do it. What matters is that you are happy with the saw and get what you want because you’re the one that has to run it.

I think everyone on here will agree the 261 will hands down be the one to get over the 271, without question. For the price difference it’s an investment in a higher quality saw that will take care of you.

I don’t know anything about the Dolmar saws and don’t like them because to me they look funny :). But tons of guys love them so there’s that. But back to what I said first, if you want to trade it in for another saw then go for it...or keep it and get another saw you have a backup :)

I fail to see the point in selling off a perfectly good 5100/5105 to get either of those two saws, frankly.

The 271 would be a step backward. The 261 would be a wash, functionally the same as what you have. If you want a new saw, fine, but don’t think for a minute you need a new one here.

I had a MS260 that I was never very happy with and considered both the MS271 and the MS261C-M for a replacement. The MS271 and MS260 have the same HP.

I went with the 261C-M which has 1/2 more HP. The improved performance of my 261C-M verses my old MS260 is pretty substantial. The 261C-M is whole different level of saw.

Back