Flying Circlips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice...if ya don't have a lot of experience with piston pin clips installation be careful of one flying in your eye....could be the last tie ya put a saw together for fun...

good luck
Another great piece of advice mate!! I love the clear plastic bag trick mentioned above. Would help with protecting eyes at the same time!

I typically find the missing one just after I open the bag for its replacement

That’s for sure. Or after you order new ones, wait for a week, and then find it right before going to get the new pair. Or you install the new one and then discover the one that teleported in the bottom of the crank case...

...or you start the saw and find it in the case the hard way...

I found one in my beard once in the shower too...

Hi Tom,
As you like tools for the job.

I might suggest this for next time.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STIHL-G...550991?hash=item3fb438a5cf:g:vhUAAOSwqKNcEIMb

After messing around with the tiny things, and getting ok at doing them with some soft screwdrivers adjusted to hold the clips, this was the same idea as the ones used on bikes and carts years ago.
Thanks mate! I have heard they are super easy to use! The reason I didn’t buy one was because apparently you need different ones for different saws / clip sizes? Is 10mm a common size clip do you know?

Thanks mate! I have heard they are super easy to use! The reason I didn’t buy one was because apparently you need different ones for different saws / clip sizes? Is 10mm a common size clip do you know?
ive got a 10 and 12, does most medium sized saws.
I think the 260 is a 10mm circlip too.

I have placed the gallon zip lock bags over a piston while putting clips in before. You can see thru it but it prevents the clip from reaching orbit.

I tried this too, but my hands and the equipment being worked on were too big for the bag. I moved to working in a dry cleaning bag - the kind that your dry cleaning comes home in. More pliable, more room for hands and equipment, can see through it better, and does the job.

Exquisite work area, Mate! Makes one just want to work better! Yes, the clips thing.... my friend used to call the E-clips "ping" clips. When I asked him why, he said to just wait and see... Sure enough, when I started to take one off it went "piiingg", never to be seen again!!!

Exquisite work are, Mate! Makes one just want to work better! Yes, the clips thing.... my friend used to call the E-clips "ping" clips. When I asked him why, he said to just wait and see... Sure enough, when I started to take one off it went "piiingg", never to be seen again!!!

Thank you! That’s really kind :)

Seeing as I have very very little for a saw, enjoying the rebuilding and the process is what it’s all about for me really, the challenge of getting it spotless, returning things to as good as they can be etc :)

You have set the bar high haha, it was such a great feeling finding it! I had a spare pair but they weren’t OEM, but came with my meteor piston. I put OEM in, but would you have felt just as comfortable with meteor? Or the ones that come with meteor? Thanks again for the installing advice :)
They are not for me, I won`t use any but OEM and they must be orientated correctly as well, I have never lost a circlip and never had a failure come back to me, I do want to continue that way.

They are not for me, I won`t use any but OEM and they must be orientated correctly as well, I have never lost a circlip and never had a failure come back to me, I do want to continue that way.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Yes I checked that the “C” opening was facing upwards :) like this “U”

20B39412-A5E8-46DE-8D8C-1024ABEE139A.jpeg

Lmao!
I disconnected a telescopic polesaw the other day only to find out it was missing the retaining screw for the telscopic guts was gone.

The guts stayed put until I laid it in my truck bed.

Then about 20 parts under spring load hit me in the stomach on freak release.

I found most of them and had to rob parts off a parts saw.

I can trace two flying parts off sound.
Twenty would make the rain man go, "****!"

Lmao!
I disconnected a telescopic polesaw the other day only to find out it was missing the retaining screw for the telscopic guts was gone.

The guts stayed put until I laid it in my truck bed.

Then about 20 parts under spring load hit me in the stomach on freak release.

I found most of them and had to rob parts off a parts saw.

I can trace two flying parts off sound.
Twenty would make the rain man go, "****!"
Haha 2 is good!! One can be tricky!!

Back