Any millenials still heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just curious. I'm 30 and heat with wood and have been for 7 years. I dont play video games other than mario with my 5 year old. I have no idea how to use a computer but I work as much as I can and heat with wood as supplemental heat. I know people in their 40s and 50s who dont work as hard to have heat. Hand splitting is a beach.

I'm 33 and this is the first year I haven't done any wood for the new house as it came with a pellet stove and half a ton of pellets. I don't like the chimney for the wood stove in the basement so I'll rebuild that this spring and get back to wood next season I really miss the warm floors

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I’m 27 been heating with wood for primary heat for 7 years since I bought my house. I have hundreds of acres behind my house half of which is my father in laws so I couldn’t see a reason not to. House and property will be paid off in 2 years. I will probaly build a new house once that time comes and will be heating with a outdoor boiler then.

Growing up in a house where my parents kept the heat at 62 and every girl I brought home complaining about it made me want a warmer home. My exgf family had a wood furnace and I was always sweating at their house and my wifes family had an indoor wood boiler and it was always nice and warm. I bought this house 7 years ago and there was a stove in the basement. I switched it out for a furnace and have been nice and warm since then. Propane keeps the house at 64, with wood its 70 plus. Not just 70 though 70 and warm any anyone who heats with wood knows that slow warming feeling of a constantly heated house.

Good thread like to hear others stories.. I’m 32 this is my 3rd season heating with wood 4th selling it I cut down close to 50 trees in my overgrown untaken care of yard when we bought it had no idea what to do with the wood so put a small rack in the front yard roughly 1/4 cord and put $30 on it sold everything fast and was mostly pine.. Like the enjoyment of cutting and splitting so much I put in a wood stove following spring cut up good wood way to late and burnt green unseasoned wood haha.. since then I built a wood shed holds about 12 cord and sell about 20 more mostly through bundles and love it

Interesting thread......shows that young people get a bad rap. Lol
I'm retired now but we hired a few young kids that could out work me any day.

It's all how you were raised, period.

Hard working kids are hard to find. 10 years in the hvac business and I've yet to get a helper.

I’m 34; this will be my 10th year heating sole my with wood furnace in basement.
Working for myself as a tree service I couldn’t imagine not heating with wood.
Id rather run my Woodmizer or build some furniture in my basement when I have spare time or a rain day. No video games here either; for my kids either.

I'm 36 and grew up with wood heat only, no furnace or backup heat source.
I own a newer house with a forced air furnace, and installed a wood stove and am using wood for my primary heat source this winter.
I cut and split all the wood myself, Ash, Black Locust, and a little Hickory.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I'm 36 and grew up with wood heat only, no furnace or backup heat source.
I own a newer house with a forced air furnace, and installed a wood stove and am using wood for my primary heat source this winter.
I cut and split all the wood myself, Ash, Black Locust, and a little Hickory.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Living in NY sucks. But when I go to work in the suburbs and install furnaces and acs for these office people who couldn't fix a toilet it always makes me happy to drive home to my house in the country where hard work goes a long way.

Living in NY sucks. But when I go to work in the suburbs and install furnaces and acs for these office people who couldn't fix a toilet it always makes me happy to drive home to my house in the country where hard work goes a long way.
I also live in ny 20 minutes from Cooperstown and 45 min from Albany. So I’m surrounded by idiots lol. That’s why I bought the last house on a seasonal road

Grew up in a house that heated with wood (including hot water). Parents had a Jensen indoor wood boiler installed in 1985. They still use it today and go through 8-10 full cords a year. Had to help bring all that wood in with my brother and sister when she’d help. Now 36, and all three of us kids burn with wood. All for well over a decade. I know as many baby boomers who refuse to use wood as our generation. As has been said, it’s not your age, it’s how you were brought up and how hard your willing to work. My FIL tries to convince me every year that wood is too much work. I laugh thinking this is coming from a guy who’s never actually burned wood, so how exactly would he know.

Ill be 36 in a few weeks, I've heated with wood ever since I graduated in 02 and got out on my own. For the record I identify as a Xennial! lol
Didn’t realize there was such a thing as a Xennial. I looked it up and agree with you. As an older millennial, I was around and remember pre internet and cell phone days, where a 22 yr old doesn’t. We are an in between generation. I imagine older baby boomers felt the same way about technology back then. It’s tough when there is a 15 year span.

Im 36. Have heated with wood for about 12 years now. Im not.much for video games. I have a PS2 that i baught many years ago when i was about 18 and mainly used it for the dvd player.
Im not much for computers. Know enough to be on here and anything else my kids know.
I hate being cooped up i the house would rather be hunting, fishing, rc cars, bicycle riding trails, ATVing and of course tinkering with saws and collecting them.

My grandpa got me hooked on running saws when I was 12. He stuck a 42cc craftsman/ poulan saw in my hand and told me to get to work.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I dont know What generation I am. 40yrs old. To young to be a boomer, and too motivated to be a millennial. Ive heated solely with wood for well over a decade. Wouldnt trade it for the world. We the eliteists know the great benifits that are recieved through dedication and hard work.

Thank you to all of us who havent lost sight of what truly makes our world continue on.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Interesting thread......shows that young people get a bad rap. Lol
I'm retired now but we hired a few young kids that could out work me any day.

It's all how you were raised, period.
I agree with its all in how you were raised. I just laugh when i here people at work complain about the heat in the summer. The factory im at is air conditioned. I just would oove to see them work in a pkace where its 120 degreese. Soaked in sweat.
Its normally not much warmer then 80 in ther on the hottest day.

My dad got me a part time job after school where he worked when I was 15.
I can still remember him telling me no standing around, keep your dam hands out of your pockets, and no sitting on your ass. I have always remembered that and thank him for everything he has taught me.

I dont know What generation I am. 40yrs old. To young to be a boomer, and too motivated to be a millennial. Ive heated solely with wood for well over a decade. Wouldnt trade it for the world. We the eliteists know the great benifits that are recieved through dedication and hard work.

Thank you to all of us who havent lost sight of what truly makes our world continue on.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
68196ab33c3cd0bfbf3b24528ca97007.jpg

Latest posts

Back