Any baby boomers still heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My folks switch to a coal stove several years ago, retired the wood stove, it was ~30 years old and needed to be replaced. My Dad had built it from a 275 gal tank, door off I'm not sure, maybe a coal boiler (was cast iron and heavy).

The coal stove is like a pellet stove, feeds with an auger, so my Dad fills a hopper and emptys the ash every day or two.

My folks still burn with wood. Have been since they got married in 77’. My father had a bad accident about 7 or 8 years ago where he shattered both heels and had to have them reconstructed with rods, pins and screws. I’ve got to hand it to the guy, he doesn’t give up. Still works full time in his mid sixties and does big projects on the side. (Currently developing a 40 acre Parcel into lots). He’s like the energizer bunny. Hope I’m like that at his age.

1950 model here.
I have been heating with wood since 1980 and enjoy it all. Running the saws, splitting and burning, stacking is getting old. But sometimes I get help with that from the grandchildren. They like camp fires and parties. So I say one hand washes the other you guys need wood you help me out when needed.
You all have a Merry Christmas.
God Bless

I am on the tail end of the Boomers. 60 model. Have been heating with wood on and off since 84. Put a Garn in 10 years ago and been heating with wood only since. Had a leak on the Garn earlier this year and almost gave up on wood. Fixed the Garn and got it back on line. Bought some propane this year for the first time in 10 years. I run the Garn year around to heat domestic water. I still have pastures to clean up so I will kept burning wood for a while. I burn 15-20 cord a year.

You ether work a regular job and pay for gas or electric, or you do the labor yourself and heat with wood. You stay in better shape by making your own firewood. No mater how you heat it all cost money or labor.
The beauty of wood heat is you don't depend on electric power or gas delivery, so I can stay worm without depending on someone else. :chainsaw::chop:

You ether work a regular job and pay for gas or electric, or you do the labor yourself and heat with wood. You stay in better shape by making your own firewood. No mater how you heat it all cost money or labor.
The beauty of wood heat is you don't depend on electric power or gas delivery, so I can stay worm without depending on someone else. :chainsaw::chop:

Did wood for a lot of years while I worked and traveled extensively. Didn't want to pay for the oil.

I work 2 full time jobs, around 120hrs a week, house is heated with wood.

Latest posts

Back