Ya never know what's gonna walk in the door

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In the for what it's worth department:

Gentlemen walked in with a Stihl 460 wearing a 18" bar. He had the chain filed way past the ledger mark.
I fetch a new chain, and set to the task of blowing all the dust off the beast, fit the chain, dress the bar some. He wanders the store for a bit. He comes back around, and I ask, "you have the air filter for this somewhere?" I was going to blow the dust off it, but since there wasn't one.... Puzzled look.

I cleaned the air horn as best as I could, fitted the HD2, he went outside and drop started it. It sounded ok.
I wonder what the piston looked like? and I wasn't gonna go a snooping.... But that old chain was making flour for chips.

Wow. You expect that out of someone that buys a saw at a big box store. Poulan or what not but someone with that saw you would think would be a bit better than that. Reckon not. Shows what I know.

He probably bought the 460 because he had already destroyed a couple cheap saws and figured an expensive one would just keep running.

In the for what it's worth department:

Gentlemen walked in with a Stihl 460 wearing a 18" bar. He had the chain filed way past the ledger mark.
I fetch a new chain, and set to the task of blowing all the dust off the beast, fit the chain, dress the bar some. He wanders the store for a bit. He comes back around, and I ask, "you have the air filter for this somewhere?" I was going to blow the dust off it, but since there wasn't one.... Puzzled look.

I cleaned the air horn as best as I could, fitted the HD2, he went outside and drop started it. It sounded ok.
I wonder what the piston looked like? and I wasn't gonna go a snooping.... But that old chain was making flour for chips.

or maybe he had no clue what he had because maybe he stole it? just came in and asked to have it cleaned up? hmmm...

I am amazed at the number of saws that have been brought to me to be fixed and don't have an air filter. Junk chain that's way too loose, bar that hasn't had any maintenance and a carb that needs work I can understand, BUT NOT AIR FILTER????

I am amazed at the number of saws that have been brought to me to be fixed and don't have an air filter. Junk chain that's way too loose, bar that hasn't had any maintenance and a carb that needs work I can understand, BUT NOT AIR FILTER????
What's the problem? We breathe the same air and we're fine. Why would the saw be any different?
:dumb:

Has anybody figured out how to sequentially sharpen a chain, ending up with a round rope, running through pulleys, with a bit of valve grinding compound, to put the final touches on a chain saw tooth? Right now, it's all in my head, but it is logical.
Nate

Run for two plus years without an air filter because it was dirty.

a98b5cc4313ef6d4a6eb34588571a10f.jpg

Then it wouldn’t start. 105 psi it pumped.

So I fix it and he don’t come back to get it. [emoji57]

C’list fodder now. [emoji106]

Maybe the saw was given to him or he borrowed it from a relative/friend, that will probably never see it again.

The guy that does maintenance here brought me a husky 460 with a 3/8-058 bar/chain (hammered hard) setup and said he couldn't get the new chain he bought to fit right .325/.063. I flipped the bar and dressed it out the best I could and ground probably half the cutters away to get it back to a chisel. He also said it wasn't oiling right so I took the wrong threaded clutch cover nut, that only threaded about two turns on, that someone had put on it off and put the right one on that I have spares of. Cleaned up the dust between the bar/chain guide and clutch cover so it would mate up again and dug out about a half a tree worth of powder out of the bar groove and bar oiler hole, greased what was left of the bearings in the bar tip and handed it back to him letting him know the bar needed replaced, I still see him using the saw with the setup the same way it was when I handed it back to him. Like someone said above, it's just a tool to them and some people don't care how they treat their tools.

Latest posts

Back