trail clearing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After you get the trail cut in, you’ll want a hedge trimmer to keep it clean and open. I maintain a lot of MTB trail and use the hedge trimmer more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time when I was a kid we were working on trails and came upon my neighbor who was doing the same. He had a mini Mac pinched in a 16" aspen. Used our Jonsereds M361 to rescue him. I remember being surprised how the Jonsereds dwarfed the Mini Mac and prior to that point, the Johnny was the smallest saw I had ever seen.

Haha yeah a Mini Mac is a small saw, they're extremely compact with the horizontal cylinder and everything crammed into the clamshell case. That's why they are such a P.I.T.A. to work on!

But i can swing mine around with one hand pretty easily, you just only cut with the bottom side of the bar to avoid a kickback.

This is just my personal experience, but for trail clearing i like a top handle because i can cut with one hand and grab / toss limbs with the other, so it goes fast without having to pick them up off the ground.

Now that is REALLY dangerous! One handed saw operation is a kickback accident waiting to happen. You have very, very, little control of the saw.

The issue with top handles in general is that being lightweight they have little inertia to slow down any kickback and allow you time to react. The second issue is that with your hands right next to each other on the handles it makes it MUCH harder to control any kickback that occurs. Simple physics.

This is just my personal experience, but for trail clearing i like a top handle because i can cut with one hand and grab / toss limbs with the other, so it goes fast without having to pick them up off the ground.

Now that is REALLY dangerous! One handed saw operation is a kickback accident waiting to happen. You have very, very, little control of the saw.

The issue with top handles in general is that being lightweight they have little inertia to slow down any kickback and allow you time to react. The second issue is that with your hands right next to each other on the handles it makes it MUCH harder to control any kickback that occurs. Simple physics.

No sarcasm, but i thought the entire idea of a top handle saw was to be able to use it with one hand?

This is even talked about on Husqvarna's website discussing top handle saws.

I've done it for years lopping off small limbs or branches, so did the tree climbers i worked with.

Of course it's not *as* safe as 2 handed, but it all gets down to common sense and experience.

No sarcasm, but i thought the entire idea of a top handle saw was to be able to use it with one hand?

This is even talked about on Husqvarna's website discussing top handle saws.

I've done it for years lopping off small limbs or branches, so did the tree climbers i worked with.

Of course it's not *as* safe as 2 handed, but it all gets down to common sense and experience.

Can it be done? Yes. Have I done it? Yes. Is it safe and prudent? Probably not.

Several prominent professional climbers on YouTube have vowed to never one hand a saw while in the tree and have been able to do it without much issue. I don't have a personal rule about not one handing a saw, and I have done it while in the tree, but I generally frown upon it and try my hardest to always have two hands on the saw. Most times, I'm able to do most of the cutting with the power saw, then switch to the hand saw if I need to control the piece with my other hand while cutting it free.

I'm surprised to hear Husky has verbiage about one handing a saw that isn't 'Don't do it.' Significantly increases the risk of injury in kickback situations. This could prove deadly in a climbing situation.

Every top handle saw that I have ever seen has a place for both hands which the manufacturer expects to be used simultaneously or else they wouldn't have designed it that way.

i know the thread is a little off topic, but as far as top handle saws go, the only manufacturer that seems to actually suggest using them one handed is Husky, and they claim that the saws will only be sold to accredited climbing professionals.

Every top handle saw that I have ever seen has a place for both hands which the manufacturer expects to be used simultaneously or else they wouldn't have designed it that way.

"The primary difference between a top-handle chainsaw and other saws is the movement of the rear handle to the top of the chainsaw, which allows operation with one hand when needed. They are incredibly light (the Husqvarna T540XP is just 3.9kg), very compact and have incredible balance."

https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/forest/get-started/tools/why-choose-a-top-handle-chainsaw/

i know the thread is a little off topic, but as far as top handle saws go, the only manufacturer that seems to actually suggest using them one handed is Husky, and they claim that the saws will only be sold to accredited climbing professionals.

"The primary difference between a top-handle chainsaw and other saws is the movement of the rear handle to the top of the chainsaw, which allows operation with one hand when needed. They are incredibly light (the Husqvarna T540XP is just 3.9kg), very compact and have incredible balance."

https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/forest/get-started/tools/why-choose-a-top-handle-chainsaw/

Very interesting... I bet the lawyers (and probably OSHA) would have a field day with this. I notice that this is a UK site. Not as many lawyers?

Very interesting... I bet the lawyers (and probably OSHA) would have a field day with this. I notice that this is a UK site. Not as many lawyers?

Yeah I noticed the same thing, i didn't find the same verbage on the US site (for as long as I looked it over.) Echo and Stihl make no mention of one handed use so it's probably a liability issue to suggest it.

I thought it was funny how Husky UK said they wouldn't even sell a top handle saw to a non-professional. I wonder if anyone in the US has ever been refused the sale of a professional saw?

FYI this is a typical setup for hauling a saw on a bike. The Rokon makes it easy with the rack on the front already. This one is set kind of wonky in the picture but you get the idea. Some guys mount them on the rear vertically as well, all situations seem to have a smile bracket for the saw to rest on and use straps to hold the head down. I have seen a few scabbard style mounts with clamping screws but they seem like not the greatest way to secure it to me. The saw pictured is a rear handle that sticks up kind of high but am not contemplating your advice on the actual usage. This is not my bike just a picture I found online to show. A small saw that isn’t in the way could very well be a semi permanent fixture on my bike as a little additional weight up front is beneficial. I would like to keep the easy access stuff on the front and the frame packs and such on the back.

Anyway thought some of you would be interested in this. Thanks again for the info, am going to look into the Echo models suggested that light weight top handle might be the ticket for this..

Attachments

• 3CC99302-23C0-4FAF-B729-0D33CB0A10EA.jpeg
    3CC99302-23C0-4FAF-B729-0D33CB0A10EA.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 29
Also FYI this is my Rokon I strap a frame pack to the rear portion for hunting but generally wear a soft frame pack for scouting etc.

Attachments

• 56194757-C3E7-4375-8C38-E7CF3E0290AB.jpeg
    56194757-C3E7-4375-8C38-E7CF3E0290AB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
FYI this is a typical setup for hauling a saw on a bike. The Rokon makes it easy with the rack on the front already. This one is set kind of wonky in the picture but you get the idea. Some guys mount them on the rear vertically as well, all situations seem to have a smile bracket for the saw to rest on and use straps to hold the head down. I have seen a few scabbard style mounts with clamping screws but they seem like not the greatest way to secure it to me. The saw pictured is a rear handle that sticks up kind of high but am not contemplating your advice on the actual usage. This is not my bike just a picture I found online to show. A small saw that isn’t in the way could very well be a semi permanent fixture on my bike as a little additional weight up front is beneficial. I would like to keep the easy access stuff on the front and the frame packs and such on the back.

Anyway thought some of you would be interested in this. Thanks again for the info, am going to look into the Echo models suggested that light weight top handle might be the ticket for this..
That looks like a pretty big saw on there.

You know, ever since I got my 200t, it's been my go to saw. I have an ms170 that is MM and re carbed, and cuts like crazy, but I keep reaching for the ms200t first. Mind you, in a lot of cases, I'm cutting in tight quarters, and the MS170 is too big long. And if I think I need a bigger say, the MS241 or MS362 comes out to play.

It's also good to note that if I'm downing stuff, it's 3-4 inches max from a hedgerow. Other than that, most of the time I'm pruning.

But I haven't seen any evidence that the top handle is more dangerous than a rear handle. In most of my cases, it would be the opposite. I'm up against the house taking one stock out of a bush, etc. I also cut up wood for the smoker with it. But, I'm cutting 'cookies' as I don't put logs into the smoker. Just chunks.

Your use may change your perspective.

4C992492-473A-4435-823E-21612DE4DD83.jpeg 5D412080-F423-487E-89F7-52AEB6B38216.jpeg B1C708EB-31B8-426A-A086-93E8DE630750.jpeg Ok so I got a saw and I warned you of my obsession of old metal stuff. I will see how this works and if it feels squirly or undersized I will upgrade and probably go Echo if I get a newer saw as I am pretty impressed with their reviews, power to weight etc. This saw was cheap and will only get ocasional use so spending substantially less money was the starting point. Stihl 015l w/16” bar

While I did go back to my old ways I did read and learn quite a bit from your recommendations. As said I’ll probably go A different route for the next saw.

I use a Stihl 018c for my trail clearing saw.
You can usually find used ones cheap, they are light, and you can cut decent size wood with it with a 16" bar. They are relatively tough for a smaller saw.
I actually found mine at the dump, fresh gas and a new sparkplug got it running, and a new bar and chain and I was cutting wood with it.
I carry it on my atv and use it on hunting trails.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back