Santa carvings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this pattern about 20 years ago and made about 20 of these for folks at work. I decided to get out my tools and do a few more this year. Between cutting out the Basswood blanks, carving, and painting, I probably have about 2 hours in each one but I take breaks so it's more like a day each. I paint in batches of 4+. I have about 8 more to do.
santas -1.jpg santas -2.jpg santas.jpg

Awesome work Buzz.

I've been whittlin' some in between paying the bills and I get a kick out of it.

It takes me right around an hour to do the carving on my small snowmen and they don't have the detail your guys do. I paint in batches as well.

My hats off to the talented fellers that hand carve for a living.

Awesome work Buzz.

I've been whittlin' some in between paying the bills and I get a kick out of it.

It takes me right around an hour to do the carving on my small snowmen and they don't have the detail your guys do. I paint in batches as well.

My hats off to the talented fellers that hand carve for a living.
Thanks! Pretty hard to make a living at carving. I belong to a local guild and we figured once that you might make $5 an hour or so unless you're doing museum quality work. For me, it's just a way to stay out of trouble. I like to put on some classical music and carve away. Not uncommon to look up and see 1AM on the clock.

@buzz sawyer Exactly, what I've found.

I've tried to really crank some work out in the last few weeks and the numbers don't add up haha. It's one hell of a hobby though. A sharp knife and a hand made strop and you're rolling. When I'm by myself I've been adding some blues, bluegrass, and old country tunes and making the time roll by. I don't have many hobbies that my daughter can sit next to me and jabber my ear off, so it's kind of priceless for that too.

Back