MS310 Cutting RPM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb593522

Reaction score
Ive been soaking up information on here for a while now and finally decided to join!

I was given a MS310 that needed a little bit of love, after taking care of some issues its running pretty good!

I have done a lot of searching and on here and picking up tips, the saw seems to be four stroking right before the cut an cleaning up fairly nicely in cut. I picked up a tach and am just curious what rpms I should be seeing out of the saw during the cut? (I tried searching but could find anything besides a max rpm of 13,000). I guess now that I have the tach, Im just a little curious how close I got tuning by ear. HAHA

I did do a muffler mod, other than that the saw is stock, running a 20" bar.

Thank you!

There's really on single rpm for any saw model, each saw will run a bit different. If the saws has a slight 4 stroke that cleans up when you hit wood that's all that matters. Now some models want to spin a little past their design limits, the 372 Xtorque is a good example, the bottom end was not designed for the addition of susch a heavy piston, so you need to keep the rpm lower than the original. Most modern saws like to turn 12,000 to 14,000 rpm depending on the model. Saws with revlimiters have to be tuned in the cut unless you really know what you're doing.

So tune your saw to where it sounds good and don't worry about it.

The maximum power output (3.2kW) is at 9.500 rpm (when you cut) on the MS 310.
Tuning to a specific rpm while in the cut is impossible, and again each saw will make power at a different rpm due to a wide range of factors. These numbers a basic guides, they are not set in stone. I was giving no load numbers, which is how most unlimited saws are tuned. If the tuning is correct in the cut rpm will be what they are.[emoji111]

Rpm in the cut is determined by how much pressure is applied , try and keep it in the middle around 9000 to 9500 rpm if you want to cut the fastest. No lugging it down to nothing or letting it scream at 12000 RPM. Both will cut slower than at 9000 to 9500 rpm. Steve

Latest posts

Back