Is Husqvarna Fading??? & West Coast thought's???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Stihl has always been #1 in Sales, marketing, distribution, etc. However, Members here have suggested that Dealers are disappearing no matter the Region. Again, The Local Dealer here in Upper MI "which has favored Husqvarna" is not impressed with their Reps & laughed, perhaps not, about dropping Husqvarna? … The saws are out & personal to the individual.

I was curious what is predominate on The West Coast … However, any insight regardless of region, just curious if this is trending in this day & age? Or if I'm completely mistaken.

Thanks for any insight, if you will!!!

Leaving Dealer "support" out of the equation.

Interesting. Around here it would seem that Husqvarna is gaining market share compared to Stihl. Almost all of the old Stihl mom and pop shops have dried up. There are only two dealers within an hour of me, one is a marine dealership and the other is a fleet supply so there is no real "selling" of the saws there. Rather you as the customer looking at what they have in stock. When selling a product at a premium price you need a knowledgeable sales person to illustrate the value of said item as an uninformed buyer will tend to be attracted to the lowest priced item. You will get none of that from the fleet supply when even the floor manager doesn't know what models Stihl makes.

Must be a regional thing. In Portland Oregon I only know of a couple dealers that sells husqvarna. Meanwhile there’s a stihl dealer on every corner. Same can be said for used saws around here, 1 used husky on Craigslist for every 25 stihls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here in my area of NC, there are no Husqvarna dealers except for Lowe's selling the homeowner stuff. Every hardware store is a Stihl dealer selling homeowner stuff and a couple real Stihl dealers within driving distance. I have to order Husqvarna stuff online.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My husqvarna dealer is a mom and pop dealership they have been around for many decades. Now the daughter is being slowly taking over so it’s more decades to come of there excellent service.

I see all types of businesses closing there doors because there kids don’t want it. Or no one wants to take it over.

Interesting. Around here it would seem that Husqvarna is gaining market share compared to Stihl. Almost all of the old Stihl mom and pop shops have dried up. There are only two dealers within an hour of me, one is a marine dealership and the other is a fleet supply so there is no real "selling" of the saws there. Rather you as the customer looking at what they have in stock. When selling a product at a premium price you need a knowledgeable sales person to illustrate the value of said item as an uninformed buyer will tend to be attracted to the lowest priced item. You will get none of that from the fleet supply when even the floor manager doesn't know what models Stihl makes.
That’s strange cuz around here it’s total opposite. Every hardware store around sells stihl. Probaly 10 places in a 50 mile radius and only to husquavarna places I can think of

That’s strange cuz around here it’s total opposite. Every hardware store around sells stihl. Probaly 10 places in a 50 mile radius and only to husquavarna places I can think of
Yes, Stihl in every ace hardware and they know very little about what they are selling. Ask for parts and wait for them to make a minimum order, maybe in a week or two.

Yes, Stihl in every ace hardware and they know very little about what they are selling. Ask for parts and wait for them to make a minimum order, maybe in a week or two.
Ya I don’t buy and saw parts there there is a agway 15 minutes from my house that has a separate building just of stihl and equipment rental. Iv never had to order anything there they always had what I needed and luckily the guys that run it are very knowledgeable

I'm sure there's a Husky dealer somewhere in the north Texas area. I just don't know where.

Most dealers stock both Stihl and Echo.

Maybe, possibly, a place or two with Maruyama, Redmax, or Shindaiwa. No Makita or Dolmar that I could find.

Stihl has always been #1 in Sales, marketing, distribution, etc. However, Members here have suggested that Dealers are disappearing no matter the Region. Again, The Local Dealer here in Upper MI "which has favored Husqvarna" is not impressed with their Reps & laughed, perhaps not, about dropping Husqvarna? … The saws are out & personal to the individual.

I was curious what is predominate on The West Coast … However, any insight regardless of region, just curious if this is trending in this day & age? Or if I'm completely mistaken.

Thanks for any insight, if you will!!!

Leaving Dealer "support" out of the equation.
I am a husky guy converting back to stihl.

They have diversified too wide to focus on saws like they used to in my opinion.

When the new 500i comes out in the states, I believe stihl will rise above husq another notch in the commercial saw market.

I believe stihl has and will continue to dominate the market. I cannot find a husky saw dealer here even a foutth as common as stihl.

I finally decided its time to switch back because husky in my opinion is getting left in the dust.

Many dealers in BC Canada are primarily Rental equipment shops
with both Husky & Stihl sales & service centres
Husky regional reps take the flack for long waits for back ordered
parts for even the current model saws.the parts lookup system is bare
bones compared to Stihls online order and parts lookup diagram
It appears to be a fast race to the bottom for husky in terms of
dealer support for saws and lawn& garden is their main focus

Wow, interesting to hear I’m in the minority.

I do think Husky has too many models. You honestly don’t need a saw or two or three per 5 cc class or the detuned line of pro saws.

Husqvarna is the big seller at Lowe's and Tractor supply around here.
We also have a reputable Sthil dealer and a new Echo dealer.

Husqvarna strong in the east.

There's a lot of dealers around Fresno. Most are a combination selling both stihl and husqvarna. The one by me sells stihl, husqvarna, echo, shindiawa, and Tanaka. The ace hardware in auberry sells both stihl and husqvarna, they are a full service dealer at that store.

Wow, interesting to hear I’m in the minority.

I do think Husky has too many models. You honestly don’t need a saw or two or three per 5 cc class or the detuned line of pro saws.

I Feel the same way, there are 2 versions of the 120 and 125 model saws. We get the poulan based ones while Asia and Europe(?) get the zenoah flavor ones. Why do they have so many different top handle saw models and 5 homeowner models in the same cc class.

There’s a lot to unpack here.

1) Husqvarna is diversifying with more chainsaws and outside of chainsaws because they see that forestry / logging as a profession isn’t what it used to be. The big trees are smaller than they were. 100+cc chainsaws aren’t needed anymore. Men are being replaced by feller buncher machines, and farmers and land owners with tons of acres who clear wilderness are being replaced by homeowners in condos.
Stihl is looking for footing with the remaining forestry and landscaping professionals. Husqvarna is also, while trying to tap into homeowners.

2) in trying to make it easier for homeowners to buy their product, Husqvarna moved into big box stores. It was easier to present product for consumer to choose to buy and sell a new saw than to support a dealership to guide and convince a consumer what to buy and fix it when it breaks. Dealerships on both sides have closed over the years, but Husqvarna has relied less on them I think to keep operating.

3) Husqvarna has trusted the consumer to fix their own equipment more than Stihl. This may not be what a professional wants to spend time doing, but a homeowner may. Stihl requires a dealership to buy parts through, whereas you can buy Husqvarna parts online yourself. This reduced dependence further depressed demand on dealerships for Husqvarna, perhaps exacerbating their closing.

4) with the spread of information on the internet, point number 3) was accelerated because it was easier to price compare and shop online, diagnose and fix your own equipment. This pushed Husqvarna further into the realm of DIY. While it’s possible to buy a Stihl part and fix the saw yourself as well, Stihl I feel is pitching to a market that doesn’t want to be bothered with anything other than using equipment.

It will be interesting to see how the tables will turn as issues with AutoTune appear and the DIY Husky crowd is forced to find dealership support. Maybe Husky just hopes it’s problem free? I can’t speak to what’s on the west coast, but I think it’s very much a region thing. Some areas will have a strong Husky population holding out. Others will support Stihl more. One of my favorite YouTube channels is HotSaws101 who is based in Oregon, and he runs Husky, Stihl and Dolmar. Although I think he personally has more Husky saws than Stihl.

Latest posts

Back