Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to see what I could get out of my 500/375 shooting 325gr hornady bullets (500 S&W) with reloader 7 I got up to 2350fps before I cried for mercy.

Kinda gave up on that for now. Need an ultramag length action to run it as a repeater which means a new barrel with large threads. I don't want to go shorter on this McGowan its at 20" already.

This is a 400gr Sierra it was more accurate then the hornady 325gr for me. Just couldn't push em as fast.

500/375-7mm rm-223

Probably settle for a 458wm or 45-70 for the next go around. See some guys using custom in lines with 416 barrels, pre scored bullets getting 2700+ fps but that's a long way from the intent of a muzzleloader season IMHO. Pretty cool though.

And to push back towards scrounging. Here was the old man a few summers before he died.

I'm not real familiar with the models, but we were shooting a 1914 or 17, something like that with mild loads, then went to the ruger drop bolt(maybe a model 1?), I didn't realize what they did to me, that steel butt plate wasn't real nice to me :rare2:. Needless to say I didn't shoot any more that day, and was very cautious anytime I went shooting and anyone wanted me to "try this out":sucks:.
I have a custom Ruger #3 in 25-35, it's a 30-30 necked down to .25. They definitely should have made one. It's the most fun rifle I've played with this year. mild recoil and incredibly accurate. I have a Leupold 1.5X5 on it and you can pluck a squirrels eye out at 50 easy, squint a little and you can do it at 100.

I had a Winchester model 95 made in 1910, it was chambered in 35 Winchester. It was by no means a slouch. 250 grain slug at 2200 FPS, 2600 FT/LBS of energy, and it didn't rattle your teeth. Very sorry I let that one go.

that gun in 405 is on my bucket list, just cause our greatest president loved his. 35winchester is another great cartridge of the past, the guy on the one Alaska show hunts with a 95 in 35win

That is a very smart choice Nate. Improves down range performance w/o punishing you when you pull the trigger.

Part of why I really like my Ruger American Rifle is that despite it being very light, perceived recoil, even with hot loads, is very mild. Coupled with a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 BDC (was on sale at Cabela's for $99) it is a tough package to beat (Low cost, rugged, light, accurate). I hand load Barnes TTSX 168gr bullets at close to 3,000 FPS. Not much that it is not good for. I think I paid just over $300 for the rifle when they were on sale when they first came out. I also picked one up in 223 (That caliber came out later, and was one I had suggested to them).

It would be nice to see them make it in either 338 Federal or 358 Winchester, but the 06 gets it done.
Thanks Mike,
This is actually my second marlin 45-70, gave up on the first one because I was tired of getting kicked, I was much younger then and had to load everything as hot as possible, max loads with 400 gr bullets sitting cross legged in back of a pickup it pushed me over backwards, lol. These hornandy factory loads are much more fun to shoot and paired with the Cabelas scope that’s made for this gun-load it has aiming points out to 300 yards it shoots well.
Ruger American sounds like a great rifle, especially for the price, it’s on my wish list in 6.5.

I always wanted to find a 95 in 35 Win, but was never able to, so my 348 Winchester filled the void. Ballistically they are very close.

I used to reload my 26" barrel 30-30 with 110 grain bullets … slow enough so they shot in the same place as 170 gr bullets. Was very light recoil and a lot of fun to shoot, great for stalking woodchucks! (Model 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative with the 26" Octagon barrel). Purchased it in 1969, so I was not 18 yet, had to bring my Mother to the gun store with me!

When I was a teenager I was really into guns and hunting, mostly all I read about (way more important than school;)) and after much studying I felt like the 348 would be one of best guns to own in Winchester 95, never had one but sure wanted one, 358 was high on the list too. My Dad kinda got me started on 45-70, he had an original Springfield trap door. His favorite rifle that he always hunted with though was an original Winchester 1886 in 45-60, had an ivory front site, killed quite a few elk with it and a few deer. Great memories.
That’s really neat about your 30-30 Mike, I was born in 1969. My dad also had a 25-35 and a 25-36.

My Cousin still has his father's old Model 94 in 32-40 with a 26" round barrel - that must have been a very early one!

The 348 was only chambered in the Model 71 Winchester - it was like a sporterized Model 86 with a hardened receiver, pistol grip, and 24" barrel with half length magazine. (a few were made in a carbine version with 20" barrel, but recoil must have been stiff). Also, (very important to me) they came with sling swivels! It took my first 3 deer with mine. No complaints with the cartridge, but when my eyes started getting weak I needed to go with a scoped rifle.

It became obvious to me when my Uncle (who was far sighted) was pointing out some deer to me, and I replied "you mean those brown spots"!!! My rifle did not have the rare peep sight option, wish it did!

The Model 71 was ONLY chambered in 348, and 348 was ONLY offered in the Model 71, likely part of what kept it from being more popular.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/model71.htm

Well we’ve got another batch of wacky weather swirling here.

Rain last night, 7 degrees this AM. Sunday will be a high of 29 and it will be -17 by Tuesday.

I have at most 36 hours worth of wood left in the indoor rack so I’ll probably end up hauling some tonight. Didn’t quite make two weeks on this last load but we didn’t heap the truck quite as high either.

The Model 71 was ONLY chambered in 348, and 348 was ONLY offered in the Model 71, likely part of what kept it from being more popular.
Ok, been quite awhile sense I looked into that stuff (only 35 years ago, lol), your right. Always wondered why it wasn’t more popular, sure seemed like a great round.

No just a big old round barrel indoor boiler. That pine does burn very clean though.
A lot of the finer ash probably gets lifted out the chimney...my stove can go several weeks on ash and pine before needing emptied, but I can watch the swoosh of ash go up the flue everytime I open the door to reload.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I cleaned out my ashes from my boiler today. It filled a 19" -11" heating tray less than half full. Spread the ashes for traction on the cement pad for the boiler. We had 21" of snow from the storms this week so everything is buried. Tossed a chain on the tractor going up to my wood lot to get a can of diesel. Good thing the can was by the splitter because I could not see it under the snow.

It burns very clean and I bet you are good at burning down the coals. I get about 3.5 gallons of fine ash in two weeks with my OWB so I would say you and he boiler do a great job.
The pine makes it real easy, just enough coals left in the morning to get the next batch lit.

Interestingly enough if I mix 1/4 to 1/3 pine with the hardwood my burn times are close to that of straight hardwood.

5c1163060999dd3e9e024dc7

I wonder how much ash from a cord ?

Latest posts

Back