Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to run 16:1 back in the 80's, of course that's what my stuff called for. Was iffy when I tried 32:1. Was really iffy when I went to 40:1. Really got scared at 50:1, after awhile I decided to go back to 40:1 in everything.

Steve Sidwell

Remember, those run a little richer on the setting compared to our standard chainsaws. Try 2 to 2 1/2 out on hi. Can be a pain to adjust sometimes. Anyone seeing these Poulans on Facebook market place. Cheap but not in my location. Hard to believe a 3700 for $75.00, or a 3450 for $120.00..

Steve Sidwell

This is the Green Ripper cutting 22inches of wood

I really love how the Green Ripper idles. It sounds like a cammed small block Chevy or Harley. Very nice video and thanks for sharing. What maximum length bar would you imagine it'd pull in it's current configuration? Thoughts on length with a different sprocket? How does the oiler perform? Crazy talent you have, Todd. Max.

Max thanks for the kind words, the oiler is working good now, took a while for it to prime up. I was going to pull it when I had it apart but it started to oil. Not sure what length of bar it will pull but I have a 34 that I'm going to put on and try with one more log while I have the same setup. I'll do a video of it. The video was taken 10 feet away, looks farther than that. I wish you could have been there to hear it in person and see the chips fly off the second log. They were going up in the air and in my face.

Not sure what killed it but was a blow down when me and the 3700 found it leaning against another tree almost to the ground. Made for some easy bucking. Ripper was doing good with the long bar, I have found that the clutch won't take the power and I have to take a little pressure off the bar. Jethro and I were talking about having to learn its likes and dislikes and it has some

What exactly is the limitation on the stock clutch? It holds with centrifugal force so the only difference is I assume bigger saws have bigger clutches. Are you using the stock 3700 clutch or did you put on a 5400 or bigger clutch?

Lemme guess. The 5400 one won’t fit in the clutch cover? You could potentially make a small spacer(s) and modify the chain adjuster to reach with everything spaced out a little bit for fitment.

Though I feel like the saw would be great to leave with the 24” bar.

Back