Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main reason I think most of us like it is because when it burns it seems to put out a good amount of heat for a long time.. say If I compare it to maple that puts out a lot of heat but the fire dies down quick and then it holds coals for a good amount of time.

Then you do oak or black locust and it seems you have flames for a lot longer. Even when it gets down to larger coals it still puts out some flames.

One thing I think we all have different opinions on as what the term “ burn time” means. When I use the term burn time I mean how long the stove will hold coals until I have to put more wood in again. Might not be the right way to use that term but that’s how I’ve always done it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Ok thanks, yeah mostly just giving you guys a hard time, I’ve never burned hardwood, I would like to try it, I’m sure it’s very good and worth any negative aspects.
Sounds like much longer flame time. Although surprisingly for being a pine lodge pole actually sounds very similar to hardwood except for burn times, it keeps a flame going the longest, and is actually some of our heaviest wood for same size pieces.
I guess when I say burn times for me it’s when I need to reload stove to keep it from going completely out, durning the day when I’m here I load it more often.

Ok thanks, yeah mostly just giving you guys a hard time, I’ve never burned hardwood, I would like to try it, I’m sure it’s very good and worth any negative aspects.
Sounds like much longer flame time. Although surprisingly for being a pine lodge pole actually sounds very similar to hardwood except for burn times, it keeps a flame going the longest, and is actually some of our heaviest wood for same size pieces.
I guess when I say burn times for me it’s when I need to reload stove to keep it from going completely out, durning the day when I’m here I load it more often.

I know you’re giving us a hard time. Hardwood has a lot of things that suck about it[emoji23].

I have been taught to believe pine does not last for **** and it sounds like it does pretty darn good.

Maybe the best of both worlds? I assume it’s fairly easy to split?

The only pine I’ve burned I think is eastern white pine. Did not last very long.

I know you’re giving us a hard time. Hardwood has a lot of things that suck about it[emoji23].

I have been taught to believe pine does not last for **** and it sounds like it does pretty darn good.

Maybe the best of both worlds? I assume it’s fairly easy to split?

The only pine I’ve burned I think is eastern white pine. Did not last very long.

Lodge pole actually last quite awhile, the coal stage last much longer than most soft woods. Yes lodge pole splits very easy (tamarack splits very easy too) very nice to work with and smells great. Ponderosa not so much, worst soft wood to split.

Best way to split the hard ones:D

Red fir round

Lodge pole actually last quite awhile, the coal stage last much longer than most soft woods. Yes lodge pole splits very easy (tamarack splits very easy too) very nice to work with and smells great. Ponderosa not so much, worst soft wood to split.

Best way to split the hard ones:D

Red fir round

Auto tune’s sound angry [emoji23]

Nice saw!

So Dr. Fiskars prescribed a heavy dose of pancake wood (maple). Dang this stuff is gravy to split[emoji847]

baca39093065120f65ac61c32cb2004b.jpg
8913431939715dd977fdf56b9307c40c.jpg

Had a Christmas dinner/party at MustangMike’s younger daughters house (my cousin Krystle). I showed him this and he got a good chuckle. Wanted me to share it with all of you.

I might add, he is by far my idea of our greatest president this country ever had View attachment 778376
After a fair trial and right of appeal, I'm all for it. Zero chance of recidivism.

I was going to say my square file at 45*, 45*, 45* (factory angles) holds up well, but noting will hold up that long in our Eastern Hardwoods!

Even though it can go longer, I generally like to touch it up after 2 tanks just to keep things sharp. I will often just go to the next saw and sharpen them all after I'm done.
My grinder is set up to little sharper angles but factory Oregon square chisel angles do seem to hold up very well and and work good for milling too, pretty smooth
E025F920-9876-41A4-8E96-08C79F89AE37.jpeg

Attachments

• 2472B5AB-E934-4843-B47C-7B672DBD1A57.jpeg
    2472B5AB-E934-4843-B47C-7B672DBD1A57.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
My sister was kind enough to get a picture of my dads dad, Mustang Mikes dad as well, framed for me. Now I have both my Grandfathers on display in their military attire. View attachment 778524
Those are great pictures! So thankful for our veterans and military personnel! You should be proud.
Dang that truck[emoji7]

Ok what’s your bid? I need to buy a log truck, lol.

There are many different types of Maple, and they run the full range of hardness (depending on where you live).

Black Maple (Rock Maple) and Sugar Maple (Hard Maple) are close to as hard as any other wood out there, and have BTUs similar to Oak - they burn for a long time.

Red Maple (Swamp Maple) is much softer, but burns OK.

Silver Maple, Sycamore and Box Elder (all in the Maple family) are very soft and burn very fast. If you want to show off a saw, demonstrate it with one of them!

Norway Maple is an import, it is not as hard as Sugar Maple but is harder than Red Maple. It is also very stringy and very hard to split.

I believe other places have big leaf maple, which is also pretty darn soft.

Do not make the mistake of lumping all Maples as being the same, they are more diverse than any other wood that I know of.

Maple is technically a hardwood i think.... but its very soft, easy to cut, split and doesn’t hold a candle to real hardwood when put in the stove
Some species of maple are harder or softer than others.

EDIT: @MustangMike was posting while I was typing!

Philbert

Back