Need suggestions on how to remove flower bed trim from tree root

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanark

Reaction score
I've had my house for 2 years now and wanted to remove a walkway that the previous owners had put in the front yard. The walkway was lined with that metal flower bed trim, and one of the section goes right through a large live oak tree's main root. I've tried prying it out, but I've had very little luck and I'm at a loss on how to actually remove it without renting a chainsaw and cutting right through the root. Any suggestions? (Picture below)

Attachments

• 49188742618_b6fc59ca18_c.jpg
    49188742618_b6fc59ca18_c.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 27
That would still leave part of the trim embedded in the root though. Isn't that dangerous to the tree?

Just bury it.
That would still leave part of the trim embedded in the root though. Isn't that dangerous to the tree?

I don't believe so.

You will do more damage to the tree than the damage you would do trying to remove the trim.

Cut the trim to a minimum with snips being careful to not damage the root.

Just bury it.

I don't believe so.

You will do more damage to the tree than the damage you would do trying to remove the trim.

Thanks! I'll look for some snips that can remove it.

Anyone in ht;e family or neighvorhood looking for a high school science project?
Salt water soaked paper towels and a car battery charger and some old 'tin' cans.
Electrolysis - set it up and watch the aluminum get eaten away....

Just bury it.

I don't believe so.

So I bought some 18g snips and couldn't even cause a dent in the trim. Any other suggestions?

Or just fold it down and bury it. The trim won't affect the tree roots--tree tissue commonly surrounds foreign material like that with no harm to the tree.

Back