Stump Vice - are they all created equal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is an Archer brand from eBay, $9.50. I checked my purchase history and found it. I tried it out twice, thumb screw is a little hard to tighten but it works. I didn't need it but I bought it anyway just like most of the other chainsaw crap I have.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mine is an Archer brand from eBay, $9.50. I checked my purchase history and found it. I tried it out twice, thumb screw is a little hard to tighten but it works. I didn't need it but I bought it anyway just like most of the other chainsaw crap I have.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Haha that last sentence love it!

I think I figured out the price difference, the stihl ones are unpainted meaning that the metal used is resistant to corrosion and non ferrous. Where as the others cheaper ones are all painted to avoid corrosion probably made from cast iron and likely heavier. Being in Australia with 40c and no rain as well as not lugging it around any great distance, The cheaper option is just fine :laughing:

Haha that last sentence love it!

I think I figured out the price difference, the stihl ones are unpainted meaning that the metal used is resistant to corrosion and non ferrous. Where as the others cheaper ones are all painted to avoid corrosion probably made from cast iron and likely heavier. Being in Australia with 40c and no rain as well as not lugging it around any great distance, The cheaper option is just fine :laughing:

If you figure you must have one- don't get one painted Aussie red dust colour.
They should all come painted bright blue or bright pink- both colours stand out well when the item in question falls off a stump, out of a box, or a pocket........

You might as well go ahead and get a file guide too ...

:yes:

+1

and this is where it's worth paying $5 or whatever for the Stihl file holder, because it has an angle built into the handle (at the top, where the file slides in) that helps you get the right rake angle to the teeth. I tried the Granberg and hated it. So I switched to the Stihl file handle and get great (to me) results with it.

Here's one ... it seems like maybe they don't make them anymore...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-File-Handle-0811-490-7864-NEW-IN-PACKAGE/372408348712

I think mine is a Husqvarna. I do most of my sharpening in the garage, but have used it once or twice in the field. There's not much to it, so I doubt you would notice anything different. Of course everybody here is all about weight savings as they have to hike deep into the wilderness and cut trails for lost hikers to follow, so get the lightest one you can. :D

In fairness to myself, I have hiked over 100km's this past summer and fall with my saws clearing blowdown from trails(and still going as recently as this past weekend). However, a stump vice just seems like extra weight so I don't own or pack one. Currently without a wood stove in my house so all my cutting is on trails right now, otherwise my saws would just collect dust instead of wood chips. Besides, hiking with a saw and fuel, files, wedges, etc. is great training weight, lol.

Well- if you already have the 2 in 1, feel the need for a stump vice....... you best grab yourself one of these.......

stihl-jackknife-pocket-knife-richartz_1_6587e8974f74eddd046953dbc3336357.jpg

After a while, once you've trained yourself, you can get rid of the guide and probably the vice too..

you are a carver, you know what sharp looks like.

I've never seen so many gizmos as I have since I've been on this forum. I didn't know all of these things existed. Thus, I learned to do without. I tried a couple of guides and a vice and stuff since I've been here. It felt like all of that just got in my way.

After a while, once you've trained yourself, you can get rid of the guide and probably the vice too..

you are a carver, you know what sharp looks like.

I've never seen so many gizmos as I have since I've been on this forum. I didn't know all of these things existed. Thus, I learned to do without. I tried a couple of guides and a vice and stuff since I've been here. It felt like all of that just got in my way.
Yeah I’m sure with time and just a little practise it wouldn’t be a problem. Absolutely right, I actually make and sell sharpening systems to carvers so I know what to look for :) it’s just getting a feel for it. The 2 in 1 just does such a nice job. After using the 2 in 1 the teeth are like kitten claws haha with zero effort.

No image there bob? Probably just as well if you’re taking the piss lol
Bugger- shows up at my end? Must be a format the page does not like?
Was just a Stihl branded pocket knife- I mean if you are going for all the gizmo's you might as well have one of them?
Might even make a handy addition to the carving tool rack. :numberone:

Back