You guys made me do it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Havent bought a saw in awhile. Pawn shop had this and I couldnt resist. Pretty clean low use saw. No crap in the carb. Runs well.

It's my third 372 but first xpw.

Boy do we have plans.

20191205_182629.jpg

Have actually been thinking on a new one since theyl soon be gone.

Will drop bar to 25" with stihl brand on it. Since that's what I have. It has a longer on it but not sure how long.

Just checkin in kinda

I may try my hand at porting this one. Hopefully wake it up some.

What grabbed me is how clean and low use it seems to be and that it was priced the same as the junk 271 and other lesser saws next to . Had sticker of 449 I offered 400 I should have offered 350.

Oh well. I always said if I ever got out if fire wood I'd keep my 026 I got to do just that. My 026 has stayed for the last 8ish years. I let the 70 and 90cc saws go.

However I did get the urge to build a 440-064 pop up last year. I did it then it went down with bad crank seals on small tree job. I caught it before any damage was done.
Though I did find the web around the wrist pin was cracking. I promptly orderd a meteor 046 piston.
That's where its currently at strung across the bench. A couple 046 cylinders 440 bottom end.

This 372 kinda came in a time of need the little 026 has been running doing some tree jobs often cutting over its head. I've found this okay, made me really see how the 70cc saws wether ported or not are really where its at.
The little I ran the xpw I was thinking it was lack luster revving slow but it's also not tuned and has a unmolested muffler.
Most likely I can wing it with a burr and wake it up.

This saw seems to have revived my intrest in the 440. I'll probly open up the muffler on the xpw with some spartan tubes at least give it a cool sound then leave it alone and get to work on my fun saw.

As far as strato goes ughhhh noooo.

20191206_094741.jpg 20191206_094813.jpg 20191206_095044.jpg

Been doing some reading and wondering if the xpw is nothing more than a 375k cylinder dropped on a 372. It appears the transfers on concrete saw cylinder are lower maybe not necessarily smaller.
Pretty interesting reading.
So raising and widening transfers could potentially wake up a xpw alot. A popup to bump compression up near 200psi could also be doable not sure what piston would work.
Have more research to do.

Evan, that's a fine looking saw, and congratulations! Very clean, appears very well cared for, and you could justify the need if you know what I mean. Even though it's Christmas time, I'd have had a hard time saying no! Best, Max.

Jealous.....
I have a 372 XP X-Torq and I'm contemplating buying another because I also feel like they won't be around forever. If I could find an OE at a good price I'd jump on it for sure. Nice find!

Yes its 51.4 I think wiseco makes a piston.

I need order or make the bar adapter.

Thank you guys. It's kinda needed but not terribly

20191211_083246.jpg 20191211_083303.jpg 20191211_083830.jpg 20191211_083830.jpg

Bar that's on it is alot longer and just isnt a good fit for me. This is a 28 I've had for along time.

Looking forward to playing with this saw. Stock and potted. I may actually have it ported. I dont really have the proper tools to accurately raise the transfers.

Been doing some reading and wondering if the xpw is nothing more than a 375k cylinder dropped on a 372. It appears the transfers on concrete saw cylinder are lower maybe not necessarily smaller.
Pretty interesting reading.
So raising and widening transfers could potentially wake up a xpw alot. A popup to bump compression up near 200psi could also be doable not sure what piston would work.
Have more research to do.
It's a K saw top end. That's why it needs porting. K saws are lower rpm saws.

That's a good buy at that price. A couple reasons I don't prefer the XPW: One the piston is unique at 51.4mm and if you toast one its cheaper to just buy a whole top end. Two I don't find the XPW any better than the standard XP. Each run different but wouldn't say the XPW is better. Third I think the Xp 50mm cylinder ports better. With that said though the XPW ports pretty good too.

If you need any machining done you can send the cylinder to me. That way you can try the porting part yourself.

That's a good buy at that price. A couple reasons I don't prefer the XPW: One the piston is unique at 51.4mm and if you toast one its cheaper to just buy a whole top end. Two I don't find the XPW any better than the standard XP. Each run different but wouldn't say the XPW is better. Third I think the Xp 50mm cylinder ports better. With that said though the XPW ports pretty good too.

If you need any machining done you can send the cylinder to me. That way you can try the porting part yourself.
Ever ported a 362 top end?

Xpw isn't any better. Most the big birds aren't

Never did cut with it stock. Have a month or two to get some grinding done to make the concrete saw cylinder run better. Not caring for the limited coil either 20200113_001010.jpg

Yeah I usually swap them but will probably try running this one. Dont really want to pay for OEM one and not sure what I think about the cheap unlimited coils.
I did start grinding on transfers. Guess I decided to start where it really matters. Running gasket less so I raising the gasket thickness plus alittle
Itl be a few day grind I'm not halfway done with transfers and then still have exhaust and intake to butcher.
20200113_230150.jpg
Before photo so we can see how bad I did ounce done

Back together. Shes only pushing 150psi :(
But is healthy enough. Have not tuned probably wont till we cut something .

Definitely revving quicker off idle

This short vids all shes ran. Haven't opened it up yet. Mixed fuel in the saw to what ratio I have no idea. Lol. I'll get fuel and run 40/1

Raised transfers is the most of what I did.

Was hoping for more than 150 shes gasket less ohhhhwell. Compression isnt everything.

I despise the factory top port in the muffler it ends exhaust every where. I need a heavy muffler and will get rid of top port and run a big side port. I'm big on a single exhaust exit.

Back