Echo CS 501P first impression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt the 421 is well built, except for the clutch cover is often broken.

The 501P with it's decomp button should be plenty easy to start. Maybe an extra pull or two to get the juices flowing over the 421 from a cold start.

It is all about the price,590-620 price difference is small considering the upgrades and imo the 620 is well worth the money.490-501 price difference is huge(for me at least) and it is not worth for someone to bother,get the 490 and you won't miss a thing.

Kostas... scenario is if you could get a 501P on sale for $100 more than the 490 on sale, would that do it for you? Or do you still see the price gap not justifying the cost? Just asking ... :)

Those Dolmar/Makitas are made in China now, by the way. Personally I'd take the Echo 501 over a Dolmar 421 unless the easy start feature was what you wanted.

Ya, unfortunately that whole ‘China’ thing was / is kind of a sticking point for me. I appreciate that some companies still assemble and check tolerances here at home, but it did / does weigh on my trigger finger :)

As an aside, I used a newish Stihl 261 today for a couple hours. Nice, nice saw. But I really think the CS-490 is as good and a way better value. Comments?
I use a two year old MS 261C(non-mtronic, new style side cover) and an year old CS 501P(muffler baffle removed), both tuned. 50cc pro saws are the most verstile for my needs. Both wear 16" bars with 3/8" chain. If I were a professional making a living with saws I would go with the Stihl; better AV, better air filter, metal side cover and seems to have a little more power on top end. I'm not a pro though. I usually grab the Echo first because of it's likeable manners and handling. Pluses are: feels a little smaller, easier starting, old school aluminum bar and lower cost(good when throwing it on a tractor or 4-wheeler). I could get by fine with only one 50cc saw, either would do. No experience with the CS 490 but I would think the 501P a notch above. Just my opinion, since you asked.

Kostas... scenario is if you could get a 501P on sale for $100 more than the 490 on sale, would that do it for you? Or do you still see the price gap not justifying the cost? Just asking ... :)

100$ is nothing between these two saws,for 100$ more i would take the 501p any day.I am speaking for 250$+ between them.I told it a while back,cs501sx is 500€ in Greece and i was able to get a cs490 new in box for 200€+40€ shipping+60€ customs,so i paid 200€ (250$) less for the cs490.

I too have wondered about the 501p. For my small saw I currently run a 421 with stihl ps and it rips. Cuts very close to most 50 cc saws running .325. I had a 490 and while there was a lot to like about the saw, there was no getting around the fact it was underpowered (yes it had a mm), had an air filter that was filthy after a few tanks, and had way more vibes than the 421. My 421 was made in china and while I would prefer it was made in Germany, it has been flawless. I believe while it is assembled in china, the parts are still german made. Would like to try a 501 but doubt it would pick it over my 421 running them back to back.

Not to uproot a dead post, but just to put my two cents in...

My father and I make a living cutting eastern red cedar and white oaks. We are in the woods 5+ days a week. We have always used Stihl saws because our local dealer has them and every part imaginable for them on hand. I was in the market for a new saw and our local shop recently became an Echo dealer. I saw the 501P and did some research online for myself. I decided to buy the saw based on it's power to weight ratio and it has an outstanding warranty comparably. I put about 8 tanks through the saw and then removed the screen and baffle from the muffler and then tuned. This saw absolutely rips for its weight and is very comfortable to use with very little vibration in comparison to the other saws in its class I have used. I got the 18'' bar on mine. The see through gas tank is very nice, along with the captive bar nuts. Price wise it is extremely competitive for a "pro" saw. I have put about 7-8 gallons through it now and have had no trouble whatsoever with performance or reliability.

The only complaints I have so far are that the stock bar is not awesome. The bar doesn't come with a replaceable tip, and I can already tell the sprocket is going to fail before my bar wears too thin to be useable.
The air filter does not seal perfectly and was fixed by sealing the o-ring area on the intake boot with a very small amount of marine grease applied by hand. The intake is now spotless every night when I clean the air filter.

I would buy another 501P hands down based on the positives and knowing the negative issues it has are easily fixed.

Can't speak to the comparison of the 501P to the 550XP as I've only ran the 501P.

However, I rate the 501P as a "Prosumer" saw. I don't rate it as a pro saw as it doesn't have the car-style pleated filter. The chain cover is made of plastic (while the housing is made of magnesium). I've only ran 3 tanks through mine so I'm still getting to know it. I do like the fact that it is the lightest 50cc powerhead out there.

Think I'm going to go pick up an old Poulan 2750..or maybe it's a 2775, and sell all my other 42 to 50cc saws. Two of which are the lesser of the 501P and 550xp, in the 491s and 545. And the chunky hotrod 42cc 421.

I don't use this size saw like a lot of people do. I have some nice lightweight smaller saws that get used the most. And I could just as easily grab a 60cc or bigger saw when I need cut some bigger stuff fast.

I wouldn't even consider the 2750 if it wasn't 46cc and lighter than any 40cc saw you can buy today.

Though I do think a lot of getting a 241cm and setting it up for carving. Probably can't even buy one new now anyway though. Maybe someone will come out with a new sub-10 pound 3hp saw in the near future and I'll have gotten rid of enough saws by then that I'll have room for it.

:crazy2::wtf:

Get rid of your 421?

There's a reason you rarely see them for sale on the used market.

there's always a need to have a cadillac 40cc saw around, isn't there?

my 420 will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. Or I'll give it to one of the kids. :)

I picked up a 421 HD rental saw one time just to look at it. Heavy is the first thing that came to mind for a saw its size. With modern 50cc saws being under 11lb for pho 40cc seems like a waist of time.

I picked up a 421 HD rental saw one time just to look at it. Heavy is the first thing that came to mind for a saw its size. With modern 50cc saws being under 11lb for pho 40cc seems like a waist of time.

Those Dolmar/Makitas are made in China now, by the way. Personally I'd take the Echo 501 over a Dolmar 421 unless the easy start feature was what you wanted.
[/QUOTE

Funny you mention this. In my research today, I just confirmed that the EA4300 is made in China. I saw one in person with the sticker on it. Makita Customer Service was saying that all manufacturing facilities are the same. I would rather have a German built unit. However, the EA5000, EA5600 or EA6100 are made in Germany and not on an assembly line. One person builds a saw from start to finish.

However, I couldn't figure out why the 5000 was $80 more than the bigger EA5600. Guess what, the 5000 has a magnesium case but the 5600 doesn't.

Echo CS-501P is $469 20"
Makita EA5600 $449 20"
Makita EA5000 $529 20"

Back