Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple friends who have them. One is a Regency and one a Drolet. Work just like a stove with secondary burn. Huff out the heat well. Regency, Drolet, Pacific Energy, Napoleon... Spend the money on a good one. A couple hundred bucks won't matter ten years from now. Just as important is chimney and installation. It's a simple thing but it needs to be done right. Your family's lives depend on it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have a couple friends who have them. One is a Regency and one a Drolet. Work just like a stove with secondary burn. Huff out the heat well. Regency, Drolet, Pacific Energy, Napoleon... Spend the money on a good one. A couple hundred bucks won't matter ten years from now. Just as important is chimney and installation. It's a simple thing but it needs to be done right. Your family's lives depend on it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Last stove I had in the last house I installed triple wall stainless. But that was a free standing stove and I didn’t already have a masonry chimney in place like this house.

believe me, I’ll spend the extra $$$ to sleep safe at night

Any of you fellas have experience with an insert?
Hey Matt I had a Pacific Energy insert in my old house and it was a hell of a an insert. The old house was 2300 sqft with no insulation and it would run you out of the the kitchen and living room with eucalyptus. I sure miss that thing

We put in an insert about 30 years ago. Older house came with a shallow (coal?) fireplace. This one has a glass front. Extended the hearth a bit, had metal plate made to cover the opening, and ran a stainless liner up the chimney.

It's nice, but I don't think that it kicks out as many BTU's because it does not radiate the way a free standing stove would. A blower might help, but we mostly run it 'recreationally', not to heat the house.

EDIT: still more efficient than the fireplace!

IMG_4169.JPG

Philbert

Hey Matt I had a Pacific Energy insert in my old house and it was a hell of a an insert. The old house was 2300 sqft with no insulation and it would run you out of the the kitchen and living room with eucalyptus. I sure miss that thing
What size firebox did it have, the large one.
I have a pacific energy and I'm in 1850sqft, it would run you out if you left it wide open, but if you cut it back before it gets crazy hot you get the best burn times. It's running a little over 550 on the top of the stove right now with a load of black locust and about 30' away the thermostat is reading 73, it will most likely drop a little by morning, but be higher in a couple hrs. I think it's a great stove, but I've never used another, before I buy a new one I'm gonna bring home some display units to sample :laugh:, maybe have a wood stove gtg :blob2:.

What size firebox did it have, the large one.
I have a pacific energy and I'm in 1850sqft, it would run you out if you left it wide open, but if you cut it back before it gets crazy hot you get the best burn times. It's running a little over 550 on the top of the stove right now with a load of black locust and about 30' away the thermostat is reading 73, it will most likely drop a little by morning, but be higher in a couple hrs. I think it's a great stove, but I've never used another, before I buy a new one I'm gonna bring home some display units to sample :laugh:, maybe have a wood stove gtg :blob2:.
It is the Summit LE I think it was 3 cubic ft firebox. It worked way better than the Lopi insert that was in the house when I bought it

It is the Summit LE I think it was 3 cubic ft firebox. It worked way better than the Lopi insert that was in the house when I bought it
Ours is the mid sized firebox, it's perfect for our home, and then I have a pellet stove insert in the old fireplace in case we need more. The way the house is set up if we had an insert you wouldn't be able to sit in the living room without melting :baba:.

Well I have a cold air vent in the wood hatch door so the boiler is pulling in outside air rather than from the house. And we have 7 people showering daily which puts a lot of humidity into the house.
I'd guess that would help, do you have any moisture on the windows, I'd think so when it gets that cold.
Does it do hot water too, 7 people showering would get expensive.

Up at the cabin when I run the 55 gal drum wood stove, I always fill a coffee pot with water and put it on a "warming plate" to both provide some humidity and hot water in the morning.

My warming plate is a piece of steel used to hold RR track in place, flipped up side down to snuggle on the curved top of the stove … works great! Keeps the water at temperature w/o boiling it away.

About 20° now. Took a 1/2 day off work to make another stack

7abfe4f207e28942c33f48965f6b517f.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back