Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rather plow snow every day at 25 degrees than have to deal with deep cold. Outside of snowmobiling (with proper clothing) there is very little that can be done outside in deep cold. And the fish usually do not bite very well either.
!! Amen to that.

We're at our high for the day of +1° F. Tractor was slow turning over even with 0w20 in the crankcase.

The fishing was pretty slow. Probably the storm didn't help. The resort did start letting people drive out on their plowed roads. My arse waits for 18" ice. They had 8" of nice clear ice and another 2-4" of the soft white ice above. Probably just do some local crappie fishing if anymore at all.
another 5" tonight to add to the blanket over the thine ice.

Cold night, heated dog bed...
fbcfc0d02ea49ecc9158722c42d82549.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

you guys have electric heaters on your oil pans out there? That is COLD

can’t imagine starting an engine in temperatures like that
My truck has a block heater. It’s a little heating element that goes into one of the soft plug holes and heats the antifreeze.

Which reminds me I forgot to plug the truck in.

SVK, I have never seen it that cold! But I do remember going up to my cabin with two friends (one insisted on driving). It was -16*F, he did not bring chains, and the 4wd road was ice, so we had to hike the 2 mi uphill to the cabin … and we were all sweating by the time we got there! I had to light the stove right away, because the Pointer's feet were frozen!

Worse part was, we could not find a grouse anywhere! Poor dog could only stay outside for a little while before we brought him back in to warm him up again.

Plus, **** breaks in deep cold!!!
I worked one winter in Gallup, NM and the temp bottomed out several times at nearly 40 below. Diesel and hydraulic fluid look like jello at that temp, even gas engines didn't want to start without coercing...I had to park the 850 JD dozer on some old truck tires to keep it from freezing to the ground.

And don't even ask how many water pumps we blew apart from that effort...some of those were massive cast iron (high pressure) deals, and it would simply stretch the studs and pop the heads off the end...

What made that worse was it would swing from that cold to the low 40s around 11am, things would thaw up, get muddy and slippery, leather boots would get soaked, then about 3pm it would start swinging the other way and those water-soaked boots would become blocks of ice with feet included.

The guys would let the equipment idle overnight to keep things moving, or we would spend hours the next morning thawing things out with those big weedburner propane torches...

There is nothing fun about working outside after the temp goes below about 20 degrees...let alone sub-zero.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SVK's in the coldest area of the state. Usually when he is -30 we are about 8-10 degrees warmer (I'm 230 miles south). Have some family within a half hour of him and the mentality is different. It sucks but you just deal with it. I had -14 here yesterday morning. 12 above here right now so it's back to tshirt and crocs weather.

The benefit of where Steve lives is the absolute beauty of it. If you like the outdoors there is not a better place in the state. You can hunt and fish unmolested. Northern lights and beautiful sunsets. More water than one guy could ever explore and if you don't want to talk to people you would never have to unless you went to town.

My goal is to have a nice piece of property in his vicinity for summer living and a piece down south for winter living.

I should add that it is a great place to raise kids IMO.

My truck has a block heater. It’s a little heating element that goes into one of the soft plug holes and heats the antifreeze.

Which reminds me I forgot to plug the truck in.
I rigged our truck with with couplers to hook to the dozers and excavators to circulate warm antifreeze to them cuz I got sick of trying to get them running when it’s -20. So I park next to the piece of equipment hook the hoses up and sit in the truck and drink my coffee for a while and watch the sun rise

Back