1949 farmall cub questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris moss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1949 farmall cub , from what i was told it was fully restored 15 years ago, but it then sat for another 10 years with no use what so ever , so the starter needs to be rebuilt and the carb needs to be gone thru and rebuilt, anyone know of a good source to get theses parts, and other parts ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 1207191736a.jpg
    1207191736a.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 1207191736c.jpg
    1207191736c.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 1207191737.jpg
    1207191737.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 1207191736.jpg
    1207191736.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
Oh, Congrats on the tractor. It looks like a nice one.
Thanks , from what I can see it was restored properly , but it sat in a barn with out residents around for years and someone came and took the zenith carb off, the back light , and starter , the guy had replacements but they need to be rebuilt , has brand new tires on it all around , gas tank is dry and rust flakes are inside

Thats too bad about missing parts, I've had good luck with an aftermarket starter and carburetor that I got from yesterdays tractor about eight years ago, for my ford 8n. Or you can rebuild what you have, I know many guys prefer the carburetor rebuild kits from case ih if you have a dealer close. Napa sells some things for it also, or at least used to a few years ago. The brand new tires are big plus.

I got tired of fighting the rust flakes and junk in the gas tank on my 1945 h and removed the tank and rinsed it out, no problems since.

We had a cub for a few years then sold it off for a IH 184 low boy. I believe that the tractors share the same engine, but the 184 is a big lawn mower and the cub is a capable tractor. The cub has better gearing, pto and hydraulics.

I miss the cub, it was pretty nice hauling wood and it did pretty well with a woods belly mower out in the pastures from what I remember. I'll probably get another one if I come across a good deal.

Best of luck with yours

I have the 52 fcub high boy, and three int154’s. One has the 3260/60” mower deck, the other has the snowplow, the third one is a ongoing project tractor with a front end loader and backhoe. I believe the trannys and final drives have the same gear ratios. The int154/185/184 have live pto ‘s the fcub doesn’t.

Here’s my fcub with dualies. Cool toy

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/...rstrec=16&Parameter=Bigbill&w=tphotos&cc=5&s=

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/...rstrec=16&Parameter=Bigbill&w=tphotos&cc=0&s=

I like it Huskybill, duals look pretty neat on those tractors.

I do like my 184 for mowing and plowing snow. Mowing its not very fast as compared to a zero turn, but its fun to mow with. Plowing snow it does ok with chains as long as the snow doesn't get too deep.

I don't have weights on mine yet, I'll have to look into them and the chain setup you have. The tractor has the power, traction becomes the issue when pushing deeper snow.

The added middle section of chain should smooth the ride out some also, it has gaps right now that makes it little bouncy as it gets on top of the chain then drops back down on the tire.

I might have extra ice bar cross links? I might sell some. I need the hook to hook measurements. I purchased lots of different lengths.

I have the 52 fcub high boy, and three int154’s. One has the 3260/60” mower deck, the other has the snowplow, the third one is a ongoing project tractor with a front end loader and backhoe. I believe the trannys and final drives have the same gear ratios. The int154/185/184 have live pto ‘s the fcub doesn’t.

Here’s my fcub with dualies. Cool toy

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/...rstrec=16&Parameter=Bigbill&w=tphotos&cc=5&s=

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/...rstrec=16&Parameter=Bigbill&w=tphotos&cc=0&s=

That looks pretty net with the duels on it , i may have to go that route , since i have had this thing sitting in my driveway may of people have stopped since i been out splitting wood asking about it and telling me about theres and where ones are forsale , i live in Fredericksburg VA so its a fairly big farming community, so i may be able to come by another set of wheels or a parts tractor fairly cheap, i have ro go out and check out what people have , one guy said he has a loader for a cub but its been sitting on a treeline for 30 years (sad) and said it may need all new gaskets,seals,hoses ect but for $300 bucks it may be a deal , i will mainly be hauling wood with this cub from the fields around here , but would also like to put a blade or box blade on it to grade driveways and what not

Tapered bolts hold the rim center in place. I bought wheel spacers that came with these tapered washers I’m using for the inner rim center. The outer 154 rims use the normal fcub tapered bolts. Otherwise the holes in the rim get wallowed out.

I had two cubs up till five years ago. I have never seen a starter need rebuilt on mine or the several my pals had/have. Maybe take starter out and clean/oil it good and I bet good as new. Six volt starters are always tough as nails.

Back