Chain Break Mania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Ive noticed new chainsaw trainees use the chain break incessantly between cuts. The perfunctory click, click, click and more click drives me crazy.
I know the most common injuries are from tripping into a rotating chain, but with these new saws that’s even less likely to happen unless the throttle lock is broken, which would be way more stupid than clicking the chain break to death.
Are there any other chain break addicts out there?

Seen that on the training videos , my break never comes on unless it gets hooked in some brush.
Ya me too, I never touch the chain break for the reason you described or when I’m starting a warm saw with a long bar when in thick brush using the stirrup start on an 088, but that hasn’t occurred in a long time.

I thought the chain brake was there to help when filing the chain! :wtf:

Seriously, if you ran saws for a decade or two that never came with a chain brake, then it's highly unlikely you will suddenly start clicking that appendage on-off-on-off constantly as you go about your cutting task. Along with using it to hold the chain while I sharpen, I also use it to make sure the clutch tightens on the crank after I have had the clutch off for any reason and start the saw for the first time.

So far I have made it a point to never use the saw with kids around - you just can't watch those rascals close enuf.

Isn’t it almost like putting the parking break on every time you come to stop sign?
What can possibly happen if you don’t do the chain break boogie unless the chain is rotating at idle?
I think the dude that devised the incessant plunge cut conjured up the chain break boogie.
Not trying to be negative, but I guess we’re entering the new age of saws and safety.

I think it's all part of this race to the bottom. As people/humans become more and more stupid, they rely more and more on technology to solve their problems and keep them safe. Look at almost anything these days, and it is all designed to save you from your own stupidity. The problem is, complacency. You feel safer doing your task, so you show less respect and caution. Then the tool you are using fails and you get hurt twice as bad because you assumed you were safe.

I think we should ban all safety features in all products and let natural selection run it's course. :dumb::givebeer:

I think it's all part of this race to the bottom. As people/humans become more and more stupid, they rely more and more on technology to solve their problems and keep them safe. Look at almost anything these days, and it is all designed to save you from your own stupidity. The problem is, complacency. You feel safer doing your task, so you show less respect and caution. Then the tool you are using fails and you get hurt twice as bad because you assumed you were safe.

I think we should ban all safety features in all products and let natural selection run it's course. :dumb::givebeer:
You can't have tax payers hurting themselves & clogging up the hospital system, that's left up to the fast food merchants

If the saw is running, not cutting or operator is repositioning then put the brake on. Throttle locks are ineffective during trip and falls and oddly easy to “overcome “ during an accident. The chain does not have to be moving at WOT to do massive damage fast.

Met enough folks that have injured themselves using saws that I make an effort to use the brake. Many of these folks injured themselves in their later years, 60+, after lots of years without an accident. Not a club I wish to join and membership last the rest of their life.

Most of us that are old enough we learned to safely operate all machinery without safety features and now today all machines are becoming loaded down with perceived safety features. They are supposed to take over from what`s between the ears. I don`t remove the chainbrake handles any more but I am not about to set the brake every time I move.

Latest posts

Back