Chain Break Mania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the older that I get, the more I use it. I usually shut the saw off, but am more and more using the brake.
I am getting more careful, you get that way when on blood thinners....
John, you surprise me, we all know you’re one of the top ten saw mechanics and diagnostic experts around here, but I cannot visualize you actually using a saw other than to test your work.

John, you surprise me, we all know you’re one of the top ten saw mechanics and diagnostic experts around here, but I cannot visualize you actually using a saw other than to test your work.
I have people for that too.

I also live vicariously through the guys here....

I just had my nails done...

Takes pretty much zero extra time to turn on/off the chain brake. Could save your life or prevent you from being mangled for life. When something causes almost zero inconvenience and presents the potential for avoiding a major injury or death, I'll take advantage of it. Just like seat belts.

I've seen a couple chainsaw injuries. No thanks. I'll swallow my pride and put the brake on when necessary.

Takes pretty much zero extra time to turn on/off the chain brake. Could save your life or prevent you from being mangled for life. When something causes almost zero inconvenience and presents the potential for avoiding a major injury or death, I'll take advantage of it. Just like seat belts.

I've seen a couple chainsaw injuries. No thanks. I'll swallow my pride and put the brake on when necessary.
I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I’m just wondering what you think is going to happen if you’re not clicking that break on and off all the time and wearing it out for the time you may really need it.

I first used a chainsaw in 1983. It was a Husqvarna with "Swed-o-matic"chainbrake, shiny metal tubing handle and the trigger screw you adjust so that it's the width of the tuning screwdriver away from the front handle. For me it's instinctive. Before my left hand comes off the front handle, the back of it actuates the brake.

I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I’m just wondering what you think is going to happen if you’re not clicking that break on and off all the time and wearing it out for the time you may really need it.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong either. I don't say other people absolutely need to use it. I'm going to use it though.

If you never use it, and it's in perfect shape, you're not going to be using it when you really need it. The logic that you should save it for when you need it is flawed. Use it, fix it when necessary, and then you can be assured it will be on when you need it.

This is like only wearing your seat belt when you think you'll get in an accident. How many people knew they were going to get in an accident before they did?

This doesn't even make sense.

So I should sell all my saws that don't have chain breaks? I mean I'm only 35 so I probably dont fit into the group that can safely run a saw without a break on it.
Yes, sell them to me! Us anti clickers have high regard for our chain break, but can’t see the point of constantly activating them.

This is like only wearing your seat belt when you think you'll get in an accident. How many people knew they were going to get in an accident before they did?

This doesn't even make sense.
I can see it all now, Stihl will devise an airbag for chainsaws when it inadvertently kicks back.

I think I have it figured out now. Most clickers are casual users of chainsaws and don’t depend upon them to make a living.
Also no one has told me what will happen if I’m not on the break all the time, especially with these new self tuning saws.

8027724a57662649b05a899a5bda995a.jpg
am I “missing” something? Lol

Most of my saws don't have chain brakes and when I run one with a brake I keep forgetting they can be useful at times, like setting the clutch after removal and starting a saw with a long bar in brush. Click them to death if it makes you feel good, I know what keeps me safe and it's not the brake. We are all at the mercy of safety devices mandated by committees that are tasked with keeping the most inept humans from injury, some are good additions like air bags in cars and some are an endorsement for dumb activity, such as "lane departure warning" and "forward collision avoidance" features that tell idiots with their cell phones that it's OK not to pay attention to their driving.

Meanwhile, your smaller saws are the ones more likely to kick..

I've met two guys in my life with that telltale scar right across their face. I probably met a few with an unseen scar across their shoulder..and others..

Me, I'm not interested in owning a saw without a chain brake. Well I am (because there are so many good saws without them) but I probably won't, just because I'm skeered. I generally do more limbing than bucking and mostly drop snags and leaners, rather than live anything. Lots of potential for pinches and kicks and such.

I click mine back off when they slide around the bed of the truck and trip themselves. I guess I’ve used it here and there. One thing I do is fix them if they’re broken. I like to know they work. But no I’m not a clicker

Back