288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, have found a new (aftermarket and quite possibly PRC in origin) brake flag, but for those that run 288's, what is the preferred air filter for a low top- flocked or nylon mesh?
Seem to remember reading somewhere (may not have been specific to the 288) that the high top conversion is desired because of the low top filters allowing particulates past the filters- any truth in that?

Okay, have found a new (aftermarket and quite possibly PRC in origin) brake flag, but for those that run 288's, what is the preferred air filter for a low top- flocked or nylon mesh?
Seem to remember reading somewhere (may not have been specific to the 288) that the high top conversion is desired because of the low top filters allowing particulates past the filters- any truth in that?
Flocked filters will filter better than mesh. There are also various mesh sizes in the mesh filter - I think 3 different version from Husqvarna. The mesh filters will flow more air than the low top flocked, but not necessarily the high top pleated. When considering which filter to use, I factor in the cutting conditions and the amount of cutting the saw will. I use my saws infrequently and I cut 95% Eastern hardwoods, so I run mesh filters in every saw. If I was on the west coast cutting thick bark trees will lots of dust, I would run flocked. If I was production cutting I would factor in the wear my saw might suffer while using a mesh filter for hundreds or thousands of hours.

The only saw I have put hundreds of hours on was my Pioneer Farmsaw. It came with a flat mesh filter from new, and I never changed it. It got cleaned regularly and the saw never seemed to suffer from not having a flocked filter.

Flocked filters will filter better than mesh. There are also various mesh sizes in the mesh filter - I think 3 different version from Husqvarna. The mesh filters will flow more air than the low top flocked, but not necessarily the high top pleated. When considering which filter to use, I factor in the cutting conditions and the amount of cutting the saw will. I use my saws infrequently and I cut 95% Eastern hardwoods, so I run mesh filters in every saw. If I was on the west coast cutting thick bark trees will lots of dust, I would run flocked. If I was production cutting I would factor in the wear my saw might suffer while using a mesh filter for hundreds or thousands of hours.

The only saw I have put hundreds of hours on was my Pioneer Farmsaw. It came with a flat mesh filter from new, and I never changed it. It got cleaned regularly and the saw never seemed to suffer from not having a flocked filter.

Pretty much my thoughts as well and had already ordered a couple of flocked filters before I posted above- mainly because the main cutting this saw will be asked to do will be in old Pine, Macrocarpa and Fir that will be more akin to the fast growing West Coast softwoods you mention, then it will be large old Eucalyptus species and the odd big Poplar, but by far most of the cutting will be in heavy bark species.
Still, always nice to know what others familiar with the model are using- as finding a high top cover over here will be like trying to find rocking horse poop.

Or you could just "West Coast" it, like so: That filter setup is #1 on 2100s, 281s, and 288s up here. That being said, a logger buddy runs hightops on his 288s, so that would probably be fine.
View attachment 779514
Yeah, na- not for me, she will be kept pretty bog standard- mainly because parts will be hard to find here- like full wraps and I am not a huge fan of carving out top covers for snorkels. :laugh:

Do you know if it currently has a top and clutch cover, or are you just preparing for if it doesn't?
Yep it is a complete saw, with all the covers and bolt on bits- except the air filter and the broken off half of the brake flag- by all accounts from the seller.

Do you know if it's a high top? I might be able to source a n.o.s. filter for a high top, but I've never seen a low top in person that didn't have a green weenie (Local slang for UNI filter) on it so no filters for them.
Is most certainly a low top, high tops were not readily available here until the 3 series saws came out.
We are not big on saw modification here, if you need more power or better filtration- you just buy a bigger saw or one with better filtration...... like those red Swedish saws I like. ;)

I think the low top looks far nicer.

As a fellow kiwi I'm quite interested in this as I cut the same wood and suffer the same issue's with parts and shipping. At the moment my "big" saw is mac pm800 with a 32 inch bar and sometime next year want to get a 288 to take over mainly to preserve the mac.

I like older saws and the 288 seams just the ticket.

I take it you mean macrocarpas like these..Screenshot_20190625-181401_Gallery.jpg

As a fellow kiwi I'm quite interested in this as I cut the same wood and suffer the same issue's with parts and shipping. At the moment my "big" saw is mac pm800 with a 32 inch bar and sometime next year want to get a 288 to take over mainly to preserve the mac.

I take it you mean macrocarpas like these..View attachment 779542

Yep, that kind of thing- although often they are takedowns from the top as they are old established trees around farm sheds and houses with nowhere to go as a "whole" .
The 288 certainly looks the ticket doesn't it- although not all that common here, but no doubt you know what secondhand ex logger 066/660/661 or 394/395 saws go for here as well!
The 288 makes the almost 90cc plus grade and can handle a 36"bar- what is not to like?

I'm also from NZ @Bob Hedgecutter and hear exactly what you're saying. I'm way more of a Stihl guy (with lots of saws) but do have a soft spot for the 2 series Huskys. Heres a 288 I built earlier in the year and sold to a friend. What an awesome old saw with a very distinctive Ping....Ping,ping...ping sound when idling. You'll love yours. I've also just obtained enough parts to build another 3 or 4!
20190813_122946_resized.jpg 20190813_122955_resized.jpg

I take it you mean macrocarpas like these..View attachment 779542
That is a great picture!

That is a great picture!

Thanks She was a big old tree was sad really but farmer needed it gone. Was just on 6 feet20190616_135409.jpg 20190817_144458.jpg
All cut with vintage mag.

Yep, that kind of thing- although often they are takedowns from the top as they are old established trees around farm sheds and houses with nowhere to go as a "whole" .
The 288 certainly looks the ticket doesn't it- although not all that common here, but no doubt you know what secondhand ex logger 066/660/661 or 394/395 saws go for here as well!
The 288 makes the almost 90cc plus grade and can handle a 36"bar- what is not to like?

Yeah I'm not paying a grand for a beat up old stihl just cos it's a stihl. There does seem to be a 288 or two on trade me most of the time 500 to 800. A 266/68/72 would be nice too

So, as a rule- I was always a Jonsered fan from back in the 80's when I was first introduced to the red saws and bought my first one.
Had handled Husqvarna saws, but liked the more square front handle alignment of the Jonsered better, so never saw the need to go down the orange track.
All of my work saws of late have been Stihl's and I have a few as personal saws- but still have a real liking for the red cased Swedish saws.

BUT......... I just got wind of a saw service shop that is closing down and liquidating the pile of unclaimed or uneconomic repairs.
Lots of the usual homeowner saws are in the line up, 30-50 cc plastic cased......... guessing staff got first option on the "good"saws?
However, one jumped out at me as "interesting"in the form of an older 288XP. Just the powerhead, no bar or chain and is missing at least the air filter- possibly more.
Paid a bit more than I perhaps should have, but good 70cc+ saws do not show up often here, least not unless they are a well used MS660 or 661 that has been a fallers saw and well used- but still commanding 2/3rds the price of a new one! I handed over the equivalent of $55 US- sight unseen.

Now, if it was an uneconomic repair the original owner decided they did not want repaired and did not pick up, I am willing to bet I will be at the very least be looking at a new piston and ring at the best case scenario- worst case the bottom end is gone and the cylinder is toast as well.
Bit of a gamble, but nothing ventured nothing gained..... right?

Will post photos when the saw arrives.

Anything to be wary of? Anything specific to this model to be wary of, or parts that are no longer available?
Are there other model parts that are interchangeable- like say shared between the 266, 272 and the 288? Things like chain brake assemblies or clutch covers, clutch......... ?
I have a 385 in a box, all tore apart. Thats how i got it. Going to try to get it going.

Love the pics

I would hate to be the guy hauling all that brush to the chipper lol.

Haha they are messy trees the old macro's but it's good wood and every farm has a heap of them and luckily just leave all the brush there for the 20t digger to pile it up and burn20190428_075944.jpg

Back