Stihl 08s clunk noise in idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybabybook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
got a used Stihl 08s, which I like a lot. It is the one without chain brake. It starts Ok in cold weather(about 3 degree celsius), but today I tested for a second time and noticed a funny clunk/banging noise when idling. When reving cant hear anything as it is too loud. Power looks ok. What might be causing this?

Options abound... start by pulling the plug and recoil, then rotate the flywheel by hand looking for something. Check the plug while it's out and confirm that it's correct. Pull the flywheel next and check all the ignition bits... clutch side next if need be. If you eliminate everything external, then you'll be down to bearings and it'll be time to pull the cylinder.

Whatever it is, don't run it again till you get it sorted. Hopefully it's something simple.

Chainsaws make all sorts of different wierd noises, I've owned Stihl 024's with horrendous rattles at idle. If you want to see if you have con rod bearing play (big end little end ) then remove the exhaust and turn the flywheel by hand slowly back and fore, you will see by looking at the piston if there is play.
It's more likely to be clutch related!

Clunking at idle is sometimes crank bearings. Wiggle the clutch and the flywheel...check the ignition..turn the flywheel back and forth by hand..

Of course these things have already been suggested, I'm just adding my 2c.

Back