Orange one? Or orange and white one? Investment wise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot907

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to buy a 288 or a 660 from our friend across the pond, I might end up getting both someday but if you had to pick one to keep in the box to sell down the road which would it be? Thanks Jeff

Saws aren’t an investment. Stocks, bonds, real estate, those are investments. Buy the saw that can best suit your needs or the saw that you want just because you like saws, but if you’re expecting to turn a profit on it, you could do a lot better on something else.

Stihl will be abetter investment.
They only do handheld equipment.

Husqvarna has pimped itself out to any and all thing which is why their saws are going downhill.

The 500i release in the US will put things in perspective soon.

I run husqvarna daily.

They realeased too many chunks of crap.
From mowers to saws. They slapped their name on what it would stick to.

Stihl has never released a pos like husqvarna has recently, several times.

Stihl will be abetter investment.
They only do handheld equipment.

Husqvarna has pimped itself out to any and all thing which is why their saws are going downhill.

The 500i release in the US will put things in perspective soon.

I run husqvarna daily.

They realeased too many chunks of crap.
From mowers to saws. They slapped their name on what it would stick to.

Stihl has never released a pos like husqvarna has recently, several times.
The 500i has a recall and the release has been delayed. The 661 has had as may issues as the 562 and 550.

I agree Husqvarna has started to make a bunch of other junk though. Stihl does make small cultivators, vacuumes and a few other things. If I had to guess it's only a matter of time before Stihl makes a mower of some type. You have to make more than saws to survive in today's market.[emoji111]

The 500i has a recall and the release has been delayed. The 661 has had as may issues as the 562 and 550.

I agree Husqvarna has started to make a bunch of other junk though. Stihl does make small cultivators, vacuumes and a few other things. If I had to guess it's only a matter of time before Stihl makes a mower of some type. You have to make more than saws to survive in today's market.[emoji111]
To grow you do.

Been smoking the same marlboros for years.

Stihl and husqvarna were the two best inarguably.
Its not even a question.

Husqvarna wont get my business anymore. They grew too much and partnered with chinese to the point it influenced commercial designs like the t540.

If I see another husqvarna ad of an oriental guy wearing 100 lbs of husqvarna PPE felling and 8 inch diameter tree, I am gonna go to my garage and start making little husqvarna pieces all over.

Those new 395s are awesome, but for me personally Husqvarna dies with the 372. That saw kicks @$$! It is the one husky a die hard Stihl guy told me he'd run, so if it stihls the competition why kill it?
Won't meet the EPA regulations, plus it's a really old model, you have to move forward at some point. The new 572 has so far been well received and seems to be holding up extremely well.

Those new 395s are awesome, but for me personally Husqvarna dies with the 372. That saw kicks @$$! It is the one husky a die hard Stihl guy told me he'd run, so if it stihls the competition why kill it?
Yep!
I cannot replace either.
If the 500i is as badass as foretold then ok. But those two huskys should have been the platform for all tgeir saws in my opinion. Scale it up and scale it down.

Emissions killed them.

This is a great question. When looking a an old saw (all I work with) I do not like to get more money in it than it is worth. ( My time is not counted because it is a hobby)
In my area Stihl is more popular than Husky so they are easier to sell. One interesting thing is that a lot of the old saws sell for about what they sold for new because of inflation.
OEM parts are not usually available. There are a lot of parts on ebay for older saws and this helps me a great deal.
I did a breakdown of the value of the parts on an old saw and came up with about $400 if you sell all the parts. This is on saws that sell for between 100 and 200. Here is an example Total of $530 I spent on a Husky 61 I am not able to get $250 for it.

Parts saw no bar 50
Cover Top 20
Cover Clutch 30
Cover Pull Starter 25
Carb 25
Air Filter 10
Manifold
Choak
oil pump 15
Cylinder 30
Piston 20
Crank and rod 30