Black Locust for firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used to use locust for roof support and shoring in the coal mines. This was before the advent of roof-bolting.

Some of the pole barns, and all of the cow yard fence at my uncle's farm is built from Black Locust. Fence is pushing 40 years old and is finally nearing time to replace. Mainly because the cows chew on it. Poles with ground contact aren't the problem really, it's the cross bars where the cows chew and lean on, break the ends off.

Pole barn poles are older and show zero signs of issues.

Hey,
I recently cut down 7 decent size black locust trees. Is that wood good for firewood??? I have a large amount of it and don't want it to go to waste if it is useful....
That's a great score right there.
It's one of the top hardwoods for firewood in North America. I think it's 3rd down on the list maybe after Osage Orange.
Burns very hot some only throw in a few smaller sticks when the fire is going good or risk and overheated stove.
I would still season it for a bit longer than a few months as stated though.
All my firewood is 1 to 3 or 4 years before burning depending on moisture content.
Locust can be thorny so wear gloves when handling it.

Something not mentioned. It is eeevvviiilll for the splinters you can get from it. They seem to be barbed, like to go straight in not leaving enough to get ahold of and seem to have some sort of a chemical tht makes them sting.

Wear gloves.

Harry K
That's the flavinoids in it that the Duke was talking about

Dad burns it exclusively. Grandpa helped me put some locust posts in the ground for a pole barn decades ago. After we put one in, he laid a flat river stone on the top of one of the posts and told me he'd never see it, but when the stone wears out I should start looking for new posts.

Dads woodpile.JPG

I collected 1.5 cord of locust this year, hoping it'd be something special but my experience was mixed. The main problem was the amount of ash it produced - more than any other wood I have burned. It was as dense as the densest eucalypt we have locally - we are in a higher rainfall area so have faster growing and less dense eucalypts than some areas - so the BTUs were there, no doubt. And it was great to split, best splitting wood I have come across, I reckon. I've read about the longevity in the ground but also one other thing about it is the torsional rigidity. I had one bit that split off by itself when I was splitting the bigger rounds. It was about 4 inches across and 15 inches long but a fraction of an inch thick, just a sliver. It was almost impervious to torsion, I was impressed! No doubt, for building things, it'd be great in many ways.

I burned it at night primarily and it did the job getting through but burning it exclusively through the day didn't work well. You end up putting more in before all the coals have burned down and the ash smothers them so they don't burn out fully. End result is a full firebox that won't burn down properly. Mixing it with lighter stuff would help but my other wood is of similar density so that wasn't an option. I needed pine! For me, I have eucalypts that are as dense without the ash so I won't go back for more locust but I'm sure that it will serve you very well in the right circumstances.

I have a lot of standing dead locust where I live. It is great for gathering late in the season. Even logs that have been on the ground for several years are basically dry inside. I actually burned some last night that I bucked and split yesterday and it burned great. I will agree with other people in here that it burns hotter than most. On a warmer night, it can overheat the house... especially since I don't have intake air control on my stupid cheap epa stove. I tend to split locust bigger than oak, maple and elm so the wood lasts longer in the stove and doesn't get so hot. I do the same with Beech and Birch.

I love getting and burning Locust of any variety.
I do mix it in with other wood in my Drolet EPA woodstove and only throw a few sticks in at a time so as not to overheat the stove.
We have a lot around but its usually as decorative yard trees with the bean pods hanging as wind chimes.
I also like burning Ironwood (Hop Hornbeam) when I can get it.
I use similar technique to burn it too, mix it in with other woods.
My main firewood is Ash, Maple, Elm, Hickory.
Plenty of dead and dying Ash around from the E.A.B.

I cut into a 18 inch locust yesterday. Barely got the notch cut started and felt the bar begin to pinch. What’s going on, here? Made the angle cut and when the wedge fell out, found the inside was all punky. Got a bad feeling about this one.
Made the felling cut and got it on the ground. Dotey through and through up about five feet of the trunk. From there up it was solid. These kind can be dangerous. They often have widow makers just waiting to fall on you.

Latest posts

Back