Gardens - 2019/2020 Planting Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leeks I got in a few weeks back. 120 from set pot. update: all doing well.

P4210046.JPG
P4210047.JPG
P4210048.JPG

10-15's in... heeled in some English pea seeds get them started. sugar pods peas rockin'! cold weather called for plant wraps. I see another celebrity tomato turning to ripening. plan to let if fully ripen on the vine. can see it from kitchen window... parsley happy, doing well.

leeks I got in a few weeks back. 120 from set pot. update: all doing well.

View attachment 775197 View attachment 775198 View attachment 775199

I plant leeks each year, and I get them from Bonnie's. The plants are pretty tough for as tiny as they are. Getting them established and growing is difficult. They grow slowly at first and are so small that the weeds coming up around them will crowd them out completely unless you go down the rows on hands and knees removing all the weed seedlings by hand. Once they are around a foot high they are unstoppable and you can use a rototiller for the rest of the cultivation chores. In your pic I'm not seeing rows of plants, it looks like you are planting them instead in a patch.

I plant leeks each year, and I get them from Bonnie's. The plants are pretty tough for as tiny as they are. Getting them established and growing is difficult. They grow slowly at first and are so small that the weeds coming up around them will crowd them out completely unless you go down the rows on hands and knees removing all the weed seedlings by hand. Once they are around a foot high they are unstoppable and you can use a rototiller for the rest of the cultivation chores. In your pic I'm not seeing rows of plants, it looks like you are planting them instead in a patch.

yes, in a patch from the potting pot. more so just heeling them in. soon will pull them all, clean out the weeds and transplant into rows... took some young tops yesterday for homemade tomato soup... they were sweet raw right out in the patch...

Back