#$%^ Chinese 660 Stihl clone saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how that will sound at 13000 rpm....
Started great. With ear protectors on I did not notice anything ;deaf in 1 ear and can't wear hearing aid in the other with protectors so that have may helped to. Idled, ran full throttle till it backfired through muffler in a fireball and quit. Turning engine with rope had a squeaking noise that made me think it was the flywheel rubbing on the magneto. I could hear the squeak with ear protectors on. There is no baffling in the mufflers on these things in kits. They are a tin can and loud. If you want a baffled or forestry safe muffler, you have to order that as a separate item (usually about $9 plus extra shipping).

Started great. With ear protectors on I did not notice anything ;deaf in 1 ear and can't wear hearing aid in the other with protectors so that have may helped to. Idled, ran full throttle till it backfired through muffler in a fireball and quit. Turning engine with rope had a squeaking noise that made me think it was the flywheel rubbing on the magneto. I could hear the squeak with ear protectors on. There is no baffling in the mufflers on these things in kits. They are a tin can and loud. If you want a baffled or forestry safe muffler, you have to order that as a separate item (usually about $9 plus extra shipping).

I hope you get through to them.

I've never worked on a husqvarna in my life. I would prefer old Stihls but they are impossible to find around here. I've had ads on FB and Craigslist for 2 years. eBay prices for saws are insane. I sold 6 on eBay this year with one customer telling me he will buy every one I build (he took 3 at one time) but the fees are impossible. The 044 fees ran $63 a saw and the 066 fees were around $85. They charge fees on shipping too. d

Ebay buyers can also strip your saws, rebuild them with Chicom crap parts, and send them back for a refund, saying that the saw was not OEM. I only sell saws here on CL. No fees. I used to buy a lot of saws locally but now a days they are all rebuilt with Chicom crap. Easy to spot. I did pick up a good 020 a while back, and 6 x 180c saws from a contractor that I fixed and sold. They were easy fixes. They were all marked low compression, but they must have used an auto compression tester as he lowest compression was 145. Two also had bad carbs, easy to replace. I slapped Left Coast Supply GB bars and chains on them. LCS is out of business though. Have to go back to Baileys now. More money.

I hope you get through to them.
Decompression valve from a Hutzl saw with less than an hour use. Beside it the new replacement they sent. You can see how it could make a mess of things. I did not attempt to pull it all the way through though some here DSCF4032.JPG tell me it falls in the cylinder and makes a wreck of things.

Cheap chinese knock-off 044 cylinder. This one would not idle. It has a casting pit that goes all the way through. Wire would not go through tonight but when I showed it to a Stihl mechanic who stops by to visit when he is in my county, I could pass a wire through. I do not know the brand but know it was a cheapie. Same batch had metal so soft the compression valve hole threads stripped and blew out the valves too. The guy had several saws that had problems and all the cylinders had come from the same outfit. Those ran for a while first. Helicoils cost more than a new decent cylinder. DSCF4034.JPG

Ebay buyers can also strip your saws, rebuild them with Chicom crap parts, and send them back for a refund, saying that the saw was not OEM. I only sell saws here on CL. No fees. I used to buy a lot of saws locally but now a days they are all rebuilt with Chicom crap. Easy to spot. I did pick up a good 020 a while back, and 6 x 180c saws from a contractor that I fixed and sold. They were easy fixes. They were all marked low compression, but they must have used an auto compression tester as he lowest compression was 145. Two also had bad carbs, easy to replace. I slapped Left Coast Supply GB bars and chains on them. LCS is out of business though. Have to go back to Baileys now. More money.

It goes both ways though. My MS460 was being sold as a Farmertec. The seller had originally bought it thinking it was a Stihl. Later, someone had told him it was a clone and he sold it as one. Truth is, it’s a Frankenstein saw. It’s a Stihl, that was repaired using some Chinese parts. I’d guess it’s still 75% Stihl, but because of those Chinese parts I paid about a third what I would have for a genuine Stihl. Sold my MS310 and basically broke even on the deal.

I'm on several internet forums that discuss things from tractors, snowmobiles, snow blowers, to guitars and motorcycles. You should see the furious posts about Chinese bearings in $15K snowmobiles, Vox guitar amps and Celestion speakers all made in China, and Chinese iron castings on $50K John Deere tractors. The common theme seems to be that the Chinese CAN make very high quality products when they want to. It gets down to the tolerances, quality control, and oversight of whomever is having those products made.

These saw kits are very interesting and sound to me like a handyman special, potentially good for someone mechanically inclined, not so much for the average guy that's put together a few Ikea book shelves.

But have you seen the instructions on those Ikea bookshelves? :surprised3:

I do not have any kind of saw that I do not have two of. Three pairs of Stihls and three Huskies 460 along with my Huztl saws. A failed saw is not an option for me. very costly. Thanks
I read this to my wife. She said it sounds just like me. When I go to do something, I load up at least 2 saws, sometimes 6. When a storm hit this summer, I called and told them don't rent extra saws, I have enough for everybody in the city works department that needs one and will bring chains, oil, gas, spare parts and tools to fix any of yours. When there is work to do, the only option is get the work done. Unless I am home holding up a log with a forklift to make firewood, most everything I, city, county, or fire department deal with are bad situations. Trees roll over on saws and all manner of things. Going home because the only saw you have quite running or broke is not an option.

For the sake of a few extra bucks knowing that saw goes out of here the best it can be I don't mind shelling out a few extra $ , after all most of these saws go out as a tool to keep working for a guy making a living and they don't mind shelling out a bit more on the price, might as well support company's that make good top ends such as meteor, caber , Hyway that have proven to be good, I do buy a few parts from FT but only things I have bought before that really have nothing to do with inner workings, I know this saw was all about a project but sounds a little frustrating... I,m a old school kinda guy, now if I can find a company that makes decent cranks I can trust, running a little low on OEM

There’s a few posts on you tube with seized Chinese saws they built from these kits it appears to me they ran the saw too lean on oil. Some of these saws are marked 25:1 ratio? I say it’s oil lean or an air leak.

I been eyeing these kit saws but chose to buy older huskys and go that route rebuilding them. Just for fun.
Lean oil would have shown on piston and cylinder, both of which are perfect and appear oily. I always up the oil a little on new saws for a few tanks full despite some here on the forum telling me it carbons up the cylinder. I only use the grey bottle Stihl mix and they do smoke a bit of a grey smoke with the extra oil. Cheers.

The latest on the obstructionist attitude on this saw is they messaged me I have to send the video as an attachment to an email, then through their messaging system tell them I sent it and my email address because "we do not read emails". Gmail says they do not support the format of the video my Fujixp camera put on the card. I am trying to figure out if I can change the format to maybe a tiny file. Tonight they told me to change the crankshaft bearings because that has to be the problem. I ordered all new parts from a reputable Stihl dealer as I am tired of this thing sitting here in pieces. I looked this up. This issue has been on going since May 6th on one saw and October 24th on the other. A couple other saws they took care of the issues. As to the defective parts for the 460 such as the muffler that had welds through the bolt holes which were so hard I could not drill them out so I could not install it, I have not seen the replacement they claim to have sent nor dose any shipping info show up on their list of shipments. At this point I would give Hutzl/Farmertech a negative 5 for you are screwed if part of what you receive is crap. Some parts are very much improved, some are junk in molding, some are junk because quality control seems to not exist. I have a guy who bought 6 saws from me wanting to know how many more I can build and send him and I don't want to order 1 single kit to do it now. 1 bad part makes an entire saw junk. I already know what has to be changed out to make a good saw but the odd junk part skews that off the charts. I could accept if they would own up, look at pictures and replace the junk. I've even offered to ship them the junk so they can see the defects but they decline and tell me they will offer me a $5 credit on my next order.

Support, what's that, tried it before on some faulty parts and just got the run around but at least you got $5 more than me

I knew this would happen. Ordered expensive new replacement parts while persisting with these people and I received this in the email today. Don't give up. It is only fair that I report they have agree to make this right. Cheers all.

Hi sir,
Thanks for your video, we have received.
We will re-ship out these parts to you, ok?

1PC PJ66007 1122 030 0408 Crankshaft
1PC T0013 9503 003 0440 Grooved ball bearing
1PC T0014 9523 003 4555 Grooved ball bearing
1SET PJ66005 Gasket sets

Waiting for your reply.
Have a nice day.
Huztl

Decompression valve from a Hutzl saw with less than an hour use. Beside it the new replacement they sent. You can see how it could make a mess of things. I did not attempt to pull it all the way through though some here View attachment 779647 tell me it falls in the cylinder and makes a wreck of things.

That's not going to wreck anything. What you need to consider about the Chinese mass production is that one production batch may be good, another might not - but they don't stop selling it whatever it is.

That's not going to wreck anything. What you need to consider about the Chinese mass production is that one production batch may be good, another might not - but they don't stop selling it whatever it is.

Some here warned me a long time ago about the compression releases telling me theirs fell down in the cylinder and tore up the piston and cylinder. 1 told me they drill a hole in the shaft and put a wire through them so they can't fall in. I am just showing what mine looked like. I have seen the stem bent on these compression releases where they fell in enough to hit the piston when they tried to crank it over. I agree on their quality. Whatever comes down the line, they ship. I received 1 crank case that looked like it had been preassembled before and then the gaskets wire wheeled off. Probably one of their pre assembled saws that did not make the cut and torn down.

Latest posts

Back