Husqvarna 350 ignition issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased my Husqvarna 350 EPA1, which has a primer bulb, in 2007. Recently when it wouldn't start, no spark, I went through all the trouble shooting test for the ignition module. The ignition module has failed. My module is clearly marked 544171902. I can not match it up with any of those listed on amazon. Most are listed as 544047001 which is claimed to fit a 350. My questions are:

1. Is there any difference in the ignition modules 544171902 and 544047001?
2. Does the 350EPA1 require a different module than the 350?
3. Will the 544047001 work on my 350EPA1?
4. When I replace the module what do I gap it at.

Other than this issue the saw has been great. I've taken down about 80 eucalyptus trees on my property and my neighbors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks deaves61! You answered a question I hadn’t thought to ask. The ignition on my saw was blue and all the ones I saw on the internet were black. I just thought it was a manufacturing color choice and nothing more. Mine has the following on it:

544 17 19-02
2007 W17
810 206 26
13000/100

So..... based on what you are saying anyone of them, black or blue, should be fine. Thanks again!!!! Now I’ll be able to get cutting.

Rev limited to 13,000rpm. Lifetime warranty on many Husqvarna coils, I would ask about your model.

I purchased my Husqvarna 350 EPA1, which has a primer bulb, in 2007. Recently when it wouldn't start, no spark, I went through all the trouble shooting test for the ignition module. The ignition module has failed. My module is clearly marked 544171902. I can not match it up with any of those listed on amazon. Most are listed as 544047001 which is claimed to fit a 350. My questions are:

1. Is there any difference in the ignition modules 544171902 and 544047001?
2. Does the 350EPA1 require a different module than the 350?
3. Will the 544047001 work on my 350EPA1?
4. When I replace the module what do I gap it at.

Other than this issue the saw has been great. I've taken down about 80 eucalyptus trees on my property and my neighbors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you disconnect coil grounding wire and try starting the saw, if it runs you will need to choke it to shut it down. If that works, maybe a bad switch. Did you check spark plug wire with ohms meter? Different spark plug? You said all, so you probably did.

I was about to say what Duce said for me. I recently had no spark on a friend's 350 omly to discover that the flywheel area was packed with mud, dirt, and Lord knows what else so that the coil was being shorted out. That made it impossible for a spark to exist. I cleaned it all out, checked the gap, and the spark emerged from the dead. It took about an hour, a brush, and lots of solvents, but now it's once again a good runner.

Thanks for all the responses. I did all of the coil tests with an ignition tester/light. No spark at any time. The area around the flywheel was packed with debris which I cleaned out.

I’m having trouble contacting Husqvarna. No tech support phone number in their manual. Almost like dealing with the government.

Guess I’ll just order any one of the coils on amazon that seem to be the common listed coils (544047001) and go from there.

What gap should I set the coil at?

Again thanks to all of you!!

Thanks for all the responses. I did all of the coil tests with an ignition tester/light. No spark at any time. The area around the flywheel was packed with debris which I cleaned out.

I’m having trouble contacting Husqvarna. No tech support phone number in their manual. Almost like dealing with the government.

Guess I’ll just order any one of the coils on amazon that seem to be the common listed coils (544047001) and go from there.

A 0.010" gap works for me. I generally use a feeler gauge, but some say a business card is on the nose.

This should help. Business card will work. I mic'd a plastic for sale sign and it was 0.010.

Attachments

• 40 44 350 344 444(1).pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Husqvarna-340-345-346XP-350-351-353.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
0.010”. Cool! I like all of the suggestions. The flexible stuff seems ideal as you can place apiece of it that covers the whole length of the coils pickup!

Once again - THANKS GUYS!

Ok what the ?????
Put in the new coil and still no spark. Connected the ignition tester to the plug wire and the other end to the spark plug - no spark. I tried it with a new plug and got the same results.

With one end still connected to the plug wire and the other end to ground there is spark! When installing the coil, because of the saw and coil design, there wasn’t any ability for adjusting the gap. I’m thinking the gap is two wide to produce a hot enough spark to jump the spark plug gap which would complete the circuit and light up the tester .?.?.? Or is it the highly unlikely problem of two defective plugs. I’m thinking not.

Has anyone else had problems with after market coils that won’t let you set the 0.10” gap?

there should be a slight oblonging in the coil mounting holes to adjust the air gap. Also check to make sure the little brass ground strap that goes from coil mount through the plastic case to the crankcase bolt is not broken. This will cause no spark also.

I put a black AM coil on mine. Besides the longer wire, it is a little bigger. It's been a while so I have forgotten exactly what I did, but it may have involved bending the wire tab. Of course, your AM coil could be totally different.

Try this. Cut a 14" length of braided wire, one side only. Connect an alligator clip to one end, and strip 1.5" of insulation off the other end. Remove the plug and insert it into the engine's plug connector boot. Dim the lights in the shop. Clip the alligator clip to a cylinder fin and wrap the bare braid around the plug's threads and hold it with one hand. With the throttle at run position (not off), pull the starter with your other hand. Do you see the plug throw a spark?

BTW, I've never run into a coil, AM or otherwise, that did not allow for some sort of gap adjustment with any saw that I have worked on.

there should be a slight oblonging in the coil mounting holes to adjust the air gap. Also check to make sure the little brass ground strap that goes from coil mount through the plastic case to the crankcase bolt is not broken. This will cause no spark also.

Yup I saw the oblong mounting holes in the coil but the mounting pier/lug in the orange plastic case where the grounding strap is fits into a depression in the coil. This mating of the mounting pier/lug to the coil is a tight fit And doesn’t allow any movement. Guess I need to get out the dremmel and grind off some material on the coil and saw body being careful not to overdo it on the coil.

As I said in my last post I’m getting spark going coil to ground but not through the spark plug. I think I just need to get the coil closer to the flywheel for a hotter spark to jump the plug gap.
Try this. Cut a 14" length of braided wire, one side only. Connect an alligator clip to one end, and strip 1.5" of insulation off the other end. Remove the plug and insert it into the engine's plug connector boot. Dim the lights in the shop. Clip the alligator clip to a cylinder fin and wrap the bare braid around the plug's threads and hold it with one hand. With the throttle at run position (not

Some of the aftermarket coils do not fit well, you are on the right path in trimming the plastic to make it adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coil was purchased from MTsooning on Amazon. I posted the below info on amazons web site. I included two pictures of the coils in the write-up. I would have included them here if I could figure out how to do it. When I refer to the pick-ups they are numbered from left to right(1,2 & 3) as you look down at the coil at 12 o’clock and the flywheel at 6 o’clock.

These are very poorly made and If I could give it zero stars I would but the lowest you’re allowed to give it is one star. These are very poorly made and are way out of tolerance. I included two pictures. The first picture with the blue coil is the original coil. The second photo with the black coil is the replacement I just bought. The first coil, the blue one, can be adjusted all the way up to where the pick ups are touching the magnet. This allows it to be set up between .010” and .012”.

The black replacement coil I purchased from Amazon is placed at its closest adjustment in the second picture. With it set as close as it can be pick up number “1” is .0625 inches (1/16”) away from the magnet, pick up number “2” is .036 (a little over 1/32”) inches from the magnet and pick up number “3” is .1875 (3/16”) inches from the magnet.

Being so poorly made it provides a very very weak spark. With an ignition tester hooked between ground and the spark plug cable it barely glows. With the tester hooked between the spark plug and spark plug cable I get no spark or glow at all. Obviously this Ignition coil gets sent back to Amazon.

The coil was purchased from MTsooning on Amazon. I posted the below info on amazons web site. I included two pictures of the coils in the write-up. I would have included them here if I could figure out how to do it. When I refer to the pick-ups they are numbered from left to right(1,2 & 3) as you look down at the coil at 12 o’clock and the flywheel at 6 o’clock.

These are very poorly made and If I could give it zero stars I would but the lowest you’re allowed to give it is one star. These are very poorly made and are way out of tolerance. I included two pictures. The first picture with the blue coil is the original coil. The second photo with the black coil is the replacement I just bought. The first coil, the blue one, can be adjusted all the way up to where the pick ups are touching the magnet. This allows it to be set up between .010” and .012”.

The black replacement coil I purchased from Amazon is placed at its closest adjustment in the second picture. With it set as close as it can be pick up number “1” is .0625 inches (1/16”) away from the magnet, pick up number “2” is .036 (a little over 1/32”) inches from the magnet and pick up number “3” is .1875 (3/16”) inches from the magnet.

Being so poorly made it provides a very very weak spark. With an ignition tester hooked between ground and the spark plug cable it barely glows. With the tester hooked between the spark plug and spark plug cable I get no spark or glow at all. Obviously this Ignition coil gets sent back to Amazon.
I have had good luck with HL supply for parts.

Back