Chain Break Mania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was worried about my 261 Arctic cutting in heavy snow with snow raining down on the starter side and blocking off the air vents.
I know there’s an optional skirt for that known as duct tape.
I was more concerned about getting a water score on the intake skirt, but Stihl has done a great job with the filter system and it never got wet in the air box.
Does anyone know if the 261 Arctic has a heated carb?
Also I’m afraid of compressed air on those tiny circuit boards under the hood. What do you guys use or am I worrying too much?
, , well if a portion is frozen shut then you don't need duct tape then until the next fluctuation.. If it's too restricted then it will has a erratic idle. I have built raised shields out of milk cartons also. When I was felling in the interior with snow loaded trees then I would take three fast swings with my axe and get the heck out of the way and then go take care of business after the white out setteled. 100% of the time If you knew you needed to wedge. If no wedging then for sure I would make sure my starter cove was facing down as sometimes it all let's go anyway. (Wrap handlebar) Smart to stay away from mesh filters in general.
Fine for stuff like spacing and brushing saplings in the summer. Yeah the small stuff is the worst as it's always starter side up and shakes the snow on contract. Sometimes bump them with the bar first. Bigger saws and bars then you can shield with you body. Heated handlebar are not good on cold snow loaded days as they just make install ice blocks out of your leather saw gloves once you shut down. I don't use heated handles. Heated carb is a good thing for most people though

Don't forget about lightning strikes, attacks by tigers escaped from the local zoo, martian invasions and spontaneous combustion.

A chain brake won't protect you from those dangers, either. And if that's not a bulletproof argument NOT to use chain brakes, I don't know what would be!

So...chain brakes wear out from clicking them? Never heard that...I guess I'll use the same logic with my car and drag my feet to stop.

I'm sure the steel linkage on a gun "safety" will wear out and break after a trillion or 10 trillion cycles, too. Better not use that, either.

You talk about 10,000 cycles of the chain brake. Does anyone actually know how many cycles it will last? Whether it's 10k or 100k or a million, I wonder how many centuries it would take to reach the magic number. Regardless, there's no way to predict whether the next use of the brake will be the one to fail, whether you click the brake 100 times a day or zero times a day.

Maybe the chainsaw makers need to add a computerized "brake clicker counter." YEAH!
Some deep thinking there...

I guess us old timers will be passing on the torch to clickers and blippers. Lol
One cannot work in woods without some sort of mishap. This will be my 4th decade eking out a meager existence in the woods with 8 lost time injuries so far with none that can be attributed to not repetitively being on the chainbreak.
Working with a saw in the woods is more about passion and loving almost every minute of it and waking up the next day eager to get back at it.
Some of us were cut out for it and some of us were not.
Also I think the clickers look very effeminate and hippie like. Lol

Anytime I have been hurt in the woods a chainbrake or saw has not been involved directly, lots of other things that are dangerous in there. The newer technology in vehicles is somewhat dangerous to us old pharts also, take traction control, please.

Some deep thinking there...

Deep thinking or deep
loaded.gif
psycho-eyes.gif

Anytime I have been hurt in the woods a chainbrake or saw has not been involved directly, lots of other things that are dangerous in there. The newer technology in vehicles is somewhat dangerous to us old pharts also, take traction control, please.
Some of us younger guys hate traction control, antilock brakes, and such unnecessary nanny devices. If you have to rely on the electronics to drive in certain conditions you should just stay off the road when those conditon apply.

Yes, sell them to me! Us anti clickers have high regard for our chain break, but can’t see the point of constantly activating them.
I couldn't let them go. 3400-4000 countervibes are some of my favorite saws. 20191212_160721.jpg And if I let this one go I'll probably never get the chance to own another one. Seem to be bucket list saws in the right crowd.

Some of us younger guys hate traction control, antilock brakes, and such unnecessary nanny devices. If you have to rely on the electronics to drive in certain conditions you should just stay off the road when those conditon apply.

A friend of mine claimed that in a panic stop, he could stop a vehicle faster than ABS by pumping the brake.

BZZZZZT. Nope. Never. Not in a bajillion years. Sorry. (Apparently he's never tried ABS.)

A friend of mine claimed that in a panic stop, he could stop a vehicle faster than ABS by pumping the brake.

BZZZZZT. Nope. Never. Not in a bajillion years. Sorry. (Apparently he's never tried ABS.)
No need to pump the breaks in a non ABS vehical unless you have already locked a wheel up.
Short of the ultra modern ABS systems I'd bet alot of people could out break an ABS equipped car with the same model without.
If the ABS is pulsing you have already gone beyond the max the tires will handle without locking up. That's your mistake not the cars.

They haven't figured out how to make traction control work worth a dam when you actually need it yet, all its good for is people who floor it on wet pavement. My last car would stop half way up snowy hills unless you turned the traction control off then you could drive right up them lol.

Ive noticed new chainsaw trainees use the chain break incessantly between cuts. The perfunctory click, click, click and more click drives me crazy.
I know the most common injuries are from tripping into a rotating chain, but with these new saws that’s even less likely to happen unless the throttle lock is broken, which would be way more stupid than clicking the chain break to death.
Are there any other chain break addicts out there?

I do it with my 220 volts 2kw Husky all the time, in fact every time I put it on the ground I do the click.
I remember a guy back in the early school days, he had lost all he's fingers on one hand - slipped on the ice while dad was working the chainsaw.

They haven't figured out how to make traction control work worth a dam when you actually need it yet, all its good for is people who floor it on wet pavement. My last car would stop half way up snowy hills unless you turned the traction control off then you could drive right up them lol.
I agree. My wifes rogue kills the power if the car starts to slide at all. Your just along for the ride.
I learned to drive in foxbody mustang's and nissan 240s. May have something to do with my hatred for electronic nannies. Actually had to learn how to drive.

This was my grandmother's daily for 13 years. By todays thoughts she should have died a fiery death the first time it snowed or she had to hit the breaks hard. Yes it's a factory big block 4 speed car.

I agree. My wifes rogue kills the power if the car starts to slide at all. Your just along for the ride.
I learned to drive in foxbody mustang's and nissan 240s. May have something to do with my hatred for electronic nannies. Actually had to learn how to drive.

This was my grandmother's daily for 13 years. By todays thoughts she should have died a fiery death the first time it snowed or she had to hit the breaks hard. Yes it's a factory big block 4 speed car.

No danger of getting in a fiery crash in those old Chryslers because they would never start in inclement weather! And even on a nice day you had to carry a spare ballast resistor around in your shirt pocket - just in case.
:laughing::lol:

No need to pump the breaks in a non ABS vehical unless you have already locked a wheel up.
Short of the ultra modern ABS systems I'd bet alot of people could out break an ABS equipped car with the same model without.
If the ABS is pulsing you have already gone beyond the max the tires will handle without locking up. That's your mistake not the cars.

Good luck not skidding in a panic stop. And good luck pumping the brakes in a panic stop. You'll need it. Either way, you ain't stopping faster than ABS.

The absolute best and fastest drivers in the world use and go faster with traction control and anti-lock brakes. If y'all think you're better than them...go win some money in your street car from the 50's.
They certainly do. Those systems are also setup for that one person in that one car and highly adjustable by the driver. Doesn't come close to being comparable to the overly aggressive system in most street cars or trucks. If I could set TCS and ABS the way I wanted I would have a completely different view of it. Traction control in most modern cars is overly aggressive to the point of being dangerous from my experiences with vehicals that have it.

They certainly do. Those systems are also setup for that one person in that one car and highly adjustable by the driver. Doesn't come close to being comparable to the overly aggressive system in most street cars or trucks. If I could set TCS and ABS the way I wanted I would have a completely different view of it. Traction control in most modern cars is overly aggressive to the point of being dangerous from my experiences with vehicals that have it.
99.9% of the public are safer with those systems.

I don't like TC in my street car either, so I disabled it. Anti-lock brakes are fine. I've never been able to consistently beat anti-lock brakes in any of m street cars by a large enough margin to warrant turning it off...I've tried.

My Ducati doesn't have anti-lock brakes...and I wish it did after riding some newer bikes with it.

I wouldn't disable ABS but I've rarely had it activate even in heavy breaking situations. I'm obviously not an F1 or WRC driver. I just dont feel that the electronics are as helpful in a lot of situations as the manufacturer and government want you to think they are.

Latest posts

Back