Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A saw running in hard wood.

I'd probably recommend any 70cc class saw dont care what brand. I'd even recomend used.400-600 gets one and is more capable then the new junk in the 400 price range.

I often would rather limb and cut small stuff with 24-28" bar because I can reach more without bending over.

I've had a 50cc saw the last 8 years or so as my only saw and man I got say I missed the versatility of the 70cc saws. I just cut fir and pine in idaho.

I was nuts for letting my bigger saws go. If I'm ever down to a one saw plan again it will be a 70cc with 28.
Wait, you dont have a 70 right now o_O?

Ya she'll pay herself off in no time. Able to cut my own firewood now so can finally use the fireplace to heat every room but the bedrooms. Cut down on using so much propane to run the heater all day every day. That s*** gets expensive to keep filling.

Lol ya true that. $670 in the end after all the essentials it has to have to run. Did get 6 pack of Stohl Ultra Synthetic oil and the extra additional year warranty with it for free.

Find some ethanol free gas and don't use any gas more than thirty days old.

I was told that you can run the Supreme (super) unleaded 91 octane with the stihl ultra oil and itll perfect for it as long as you don't use anything under 89 octane. Especially not the cheap 87 octane that most use in their vehicles. I run the 91 octane in my car as well because it's better on my super charger and gives it the power it needs.

I was told that you can run the Supreme (super) unleaded 91 octane with the stihl ultra oil and itll perfect for it as long as you don't use anything under 89 octane. Especially not the cheap 87 octane that most use in their vehicles. I run the 91 octane in my car as well because it's better on my super charger and gives it the power it needs.

They told me you didnt have to use the ethanol free. That just no higher than the 10% ethanol you get from the gas pump at the station. So I was gonna use the 91 octane

They told me you didnt have to use the ethanol free. That just no higher than the 10% ethanol you get from the gas pump at the station. So I was gonna use the 91 octane
I ran the 89 w/ethanol for years due to the fact that non E wasn't readily available close to me. NO issues what so ever. I'm stihl breaking in my 261 but it gets better with every tank. Congrats on the new saw. Have fun and be safe.

If you can get rec fuel without going out of your way for it they claim it has a little longer shelf life than unleaded. It's not idiot proof, but it's cheap insurance for equipment that might sit for a couple months with fuel in the tank and carb.

Since I'm not a pro cutting 5 days a week, I run nothing but premix through mine. Peace of mind for me. No ethenol and high octane.

After you have run the big saw doing trimming for couple 3 days you may decide (your body muscles will talk to you usually at night or the next morning) that you need another smaller lighter saw for trimming the smaller limbs from the log.;)

You need two saws anyway because YOU WILL eventually get one of the saws hung up in a log/limb and need another saw for removing the hung up one.:surprised3:

Back