Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you folks that have constant problems with the flippy caps popping off the oil side fill your oil to the brim or past the brim regularly?

Cuz...oil doesn't compress...so trying to cap a reservoir filled with oil is going to be difficult when the cap has to be inserted to a proper depth in order to engage properly. So...try to leave some head space. If you do overfill, remove some before capping.

Do you folks that have constant problems with the flippy caps popping off the oil side fill your oil to the brim or past the brim regularly?

Cuz...oil doesn't compress...so trying to cap a reservoir filled with oil is going to be difficult when the cap has to be inserted to a proper depth in order to engage properly. So...try to leave some head space. If you do overfill, remove some before capping.
That can surely be a problem, but it wasn't when I had issues with them, I do the best I can not to make a mess with oil and mix on my saws and I also teach everyone to wipe off caps and saws as much as possible before filling.
The caps will look as though all is good and lock down just as normal, then when you least expect it you have oil running down your chaps, that is if your lucky enough to have your chaps on lol.

I've never had a husky cap do that.

Maybe I need to bring back my old avatar :laugh:.
I've never had it happen with the fuel side myself, good number with the oil side :nofunny:. A buddy who does pours concrete walls watch one of his coworkers go up in flames when the cap came off their stihl cutoff saw cutting rebar :surprised3:. He's okay, but had to go to the hospital for burns and had to have some of his clothes peeled off him because they melted :eek:.
I was only 10 feet away from a large bonfire when the mishap occurred. Had the unspeakable happened, there was lots of snow around.
Was it Chuck Berry or Bo Didley that sung that song? Maybe Elvis.

I was only 10 feet away from a large bonfire when the mishap occurred. Had the unspeakable happened, there was lots of snow around.
Was it Chuck Berry or Bo Didley that sung that song? Maybe Elvis.
Your older than me, maybe @farmer steve can help out :laugh:.

Joking aside I'm glad you didn't get lite up yourself, that would be bad!

that's the smartest thing you said all day! And that's exactly why i broke my cap.

I broke my oil cap because of this. Lesson learned.

I didn't break my cap lol.
Just grabbed this one up from the basement to wipe down a little because someone was looking for one, see the puddle of gas(the chips are from the rest of the saw it was pretty clean around the caps), swapped it out and now it's not leaking :rare2:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 12.01.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 12.01.51 PM.png
    753.9 KB · Views: 14
Maybe I need to bring back my old avatar :laugh:.
I've never had it happen with the fuel side myself, good number with the oil side :nofunny:. A buddy who does pours concrete walls watch one of his coworkers go up in flames when the cap came off their stihl cutoff saw cutting rebar :surprised3:. He's okay, but had to go to the hospital for burns and had to have some of his clothes peeled off him because they melted :eek:.

Wow!

Waiting for a Stihl head to chime in, "You need to be smarter than the flippy cap".

Wow!

Waiting for a Stihl head to chime in, "You need to be smarter than the flippy cap".

I've heard it before, same guys who don't make any other mistakes :lol:. What's funny is like I say, never had it happen with a husky cap.
3jihzq.jpg
:laughing::laughing:

Gonna need a bigger bus cause there are so many guys who have had problems with them :yes:. They're kinda like that bus, a nice van would have done a great job getting the kids to school, bet the board is made up of stihl owners :laughing:.
So last night when I went downstairs to clean up the cover on the 192tc in the picture above, I realized my 440 was laying on it's side like a husky 346 :laugh:. It needs a cap too, robbed one off it for a buddies ms311 that was leaking gas bad, same guy who watched his coworker go up in flames :blob2:.
While I prefer the flippys to the either of the earlier stihl style caps, I prefer the standard huskys over the stihl flippys and the husky flippys over them.

Where can I purchase a bus like that?
They probably scrapped it, much like stihl should have done when they realized their flippy caps were a bad idea, but they didn't figure it out yet :dumb:.
Getting ready to order two new non-screwy stihl caps right now :rare2:, 6.50 shipped isn't to bad though I guess.

Latest posts

Back