Older Stihl 034 Clutch Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope this bar picture is ok...

Oops, it a Windsor...
GY94feW.jpg

There is your problem right there, the oil holes go straight through the bar, there is no outer plate to block it so it freely flows out the hole. The outer clutch cover will not seal tight to the bar, a Stihl bar will seal because it has oil delivery holes only on the side against the oil flow from the pump.

I "fixed" one of these saws with an oilng issue by tearing off the oil pump, cleaning it out, blowing through the tank breather with an air compressor and running 2 stroke gas through the oil tank and pressurizing the tank through the breather and slowly adding bar oil as it went through it.

I'm assuming that the oil pump is just worn but if it stops oiling the particular saw has holes already there for an adjustable oil pump.

These seem to be exposed to an incredible amount of debris, due care really needs to be exercised to keep it clean or regular flushes done. Got out water and a couple tablespoons of debris before going on a very frustrating adventure of not being able to get the saw to oil.

That 034 has a channel that runs from the Oiler hole down the the slot for the bar adjuster.
No, that is not the oiler feed slot. that is the oil tank air vent. Shouldn't be any oil coming out of there.

It needs the bar plate and clutch cover WITHOUT the side adjust hole.
Not necessarily. The problem as I and @pioneerguy600 suspected is the oiler hole that goes all the way through the bar. Mark the bar and the clutch cover in the correct position while on the saw. Now remove the bar and realign it in its original position on the cover and see where the hole goes. If it is blocked by the bar cover it will oil the bar. if not it will mostly oil the backside of the clutch cover. Plumbing 101. You have a leak.

Then bars with or without the Oiler hole drilled thru will work fine.
I don't think so. Its the bar and not the cover. Get the correct bar without the through oiler hole. Problem solved.

Why not put the bar on without the chain, tighten the bar nuts directly on the bar without the side cover, then spin the clutch with a drill and see where the oil is flowing? You would have to use a bar with oil holes in one side only.

And what kind of bar oil are you using?

I "fixed" one of these saws with an oilng issue by tearing off the oil pump, cleaning it out, blowing through the tank breather with an air compressor and running 2 stroke gas through the oil tank and pressurizing the tank through the breather and slowly adding bar oil as it went through it.

I did this too but used solvent instead of gas/oil and compressed air through the vent. The pump appears to be working, just the oil delivery is the problem.

Why not put the bar on without the chain, tighten the bar nuts directly on the bar without the side cover, then spin the clutch with a drill and see where the oil is flowing? You would have to use a bar with oil holes in one side only.

And what kind of bar oil are you using?

I'll give this a try tomorrow. Bar oil is Lordco summer blend.

Got an 034 in my shop I'm rebuilding and a parts one .... Just live outside of Duncan, probably not that far from you.

I'm on the South side of Cowichan Bay so ya we are practically neighbours. :)

Oh, and I have a what might be an 034 or could be an 036 parts saw too. Mine is missing top plastic, clutch cover, and bar & chain. Its the side adjust model. The ID plate on the recoil starter is warn off so I cant say for sure what model it is.

Have you had the plastic cover off that surrounds the clutch? It looks like there is a ton of oil around the clutch - I am going to guess a split hose or a bad grommet behind the oil pump. Has the oil hose ever been replaced?

Have you had the plastic cover off that surrounds the clutch? It looks like there is a ton of oil around the clutch - I am going to guess a split hose or a bad grommet behind the oil pump. Has the oil hose ever been replaced?

Yes, I have taken the pump out and inspected the suction line/screen as well as the discharge line and all looked fine. The oil you see is going into the cover surrounding the clutch is coming from the outside of the cover not the inside.

I'm on the South side of Cowichan Bay so ya we are practically neighbours. :)

Oh, and I have a what might be an 034 or could be an 036 parts saw too. Mine is missing top plastic, clutch cover, and bar & chain. Its the side adjust model. The ID plate on the recoil starter is warn off so I cant say for sure what model it is.
Probably have the plastics etc you need.. on the parted out one... my other one is complete.

Click on the name of the person you would like to message. A box will pop up with their info and there will be some options as well. One of the options is "Start a Conversation".

Funny, I looked at that and started to send a message then wondered if I was starting a new public conversation. I'll give it another go and thank you for the assistance!

Latest posts

Back