CS-2511t Chain Options & Mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triumph65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a 2511-t 14” and wondering what the best chains are to run in that saw.

Also, we will be at the ranch taking down dead cedar. Most trunks are 12” and less and we usually use our Stihl MS 192 & 193.

Saw one muffler mod video where he suggested a Still PS Pico 3/8” low profile chain on the 2511.

Also, on the muffler mod. Do I need to do it for what I’m doing (all cedar 2-3 times a year) & what do I need to do if anything on tuning the saw after the mod.

Thanks for help!!

They love the 1/4” Stihl bar and chain. It makes a huge difference in cut speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. If you need a super smooth cut for the sake of the plant, or a small chain for carving that will turn the radius of a small tipped bar, then the 1/4" chain would probably be worth the cost.
But for just cutting stuff up a 3/8 works fine. Although the biggest stuff I've cut with mine is around 8" hardwood, which should equal a little larger cedar.
20190105_111638.jpg
I use Oregon chains mostly. They aren't quite as hard as Stihl chains. So they may need sharpening a little more often. But they are far easier to sharpen when you have to.

We are just hacking down dead cedar for fire wood. I was curious about the Stihl chain the guy mentioned in the muffler mod video but I’m happy to use Oregon and just sharpen them on side of trailer.

Is it worth fooling with the muffler mod or would I have to get it tuned?

I didn't feel the need to mod mine. But I have a 35cc saw also, so I don't need every ounce of power out of the 2511.
And I don't mind that it's not very loud.

I'd give it a try and see how it works for you.

On the other hand, if it's seeing continual use the muffler mod may help it run a little cooler. Or that's the rumour. None of my saws have temp gauges on them.

I did mod the muffler on my little Echo 346. And an Echo 490 that sounded great afterwards, and I actually believe it had a noticeable increase in power.

Not sure if only a muffler mod would make a difference on the 2511 or not, but it should at least sound more powerful.

Back