Your chain of choice on a 50 cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.325 is the best for a 50CC saw IMO. However I have always ran 3/8" and a 16" bar on my 50cc saws. Mostly because when I was doing alot of cutting I purchased chain by the roll and it was easier to have only one size on hand. The other advantage to 3/8" is the ability to use Stihl RM chain for cutting really dirty wood. I'm not sure if Stihl ever made non saftey RM chain in .325. If they did I never saw it.
RM Stihl .325 non safety is all I run. I never know what I'll be cutting and holds an edge pretty good. That plus my dealer does buy 2 get 1 free so 3 chains are around $50.
20191217_150757.jpg

I'm running .325/.050 16" on my 346xp. Oregon "Speedcut" bar and 95TXL chain. Pretty sure it is a narrow kerf chain. Really smooth cutting and stays sharp longer than LGX I run on all my other saws. Cuts darn near as fast too.

I'm running .325/.050 16" on my 346xp. Oregon "Speedcut" bar and 95TXL chain. Pretty sure it is a narrow kerf chain. Really smooth cutting and stays sharp longer than LGX I run on all my other saws. Cuts darn near as fast too.
yeah I’ve also found the 95 txl to stay sharp a long time. I found tough to sharpen initially,but then subsequent sharpens have been easier

My only 50cc is the Jonsereds 49SP. Came with 325 on it, I swapped to 3/8 many years ago. Don't remember why, but for a slower "grunt" saw the 3/8 with a 16" bar has worked well for me. Guess I've never warmed up to 325, thinking hard about swapping my MS250 over to 3/8 LP.
For some reason I can't seem to sharpen 325 as well as 3/8 or 3/8 LP.

I'm considering buying a second bar for my muf modded ms261cm. It's currently got an 18" .325. I'm considering going to a 16" 3/8 b&c since a 16" would handle most of my needs. Thoughts?
I’m no expert on 325 but I must say that the 325 20” I used on the 261 today was smooth compared to 3/8, especially on limbs and cut as fast as 3/8 16”, if not faster. I cut at least 150 5” trees today and limbed at least another 100 with no chain toss.
Time will tell how durable 325 is compared to 3/8.

What would a 261cm be like with an 8 pin and 16" chain? After I muf modded it, it's got gobs of power but who don't like speed demons!?

I absolutely love this saw with an 18" bar but just wondering jf I'd love it even more with a 16".

What would a 261cm be like with an 8 pin and 16" chain? After I muf modded it, it's got gobs of power but who don't like speed demons!?

I absolutely love this saw with an 18" bar but just wondering jf I'd love it even more with a 16".
I’m sure that would be a winning combo, but you may experience more chain derailments with the larger sprocket, but this can be circumvented by grinding the tail of the bar to conform to the profile of the larger sprocket.

There seems to be several different opinions as to which type of chain is best for a 50 cc sized saw. .325? 3/8? 3/8 low profile? .325 narrow kerf? 3/8 narrow kerf?
What would you use for a saw that might be bucking hardwood up to the full width of a 16 inch bar? Speed is the deciding factor.

We run 81 drive link/20” .325”, 0.063” B&C on our MS261CMs.

Mine is Ported & Cousin’s is bone stock: they balance well & gives a bit extra reach when limbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're talking about .325, give it a shot. If you mean 3/8, save your money.

. I’ve actually got an 8 pin on the way to try out on my 545 with 16” .325 NK B&C I already have on it. With the outboard clutch not something one I would be switching often but for $8 I figured why not give it a try.

Sunfish is correct. I recently tried 20bpx semi chisel on a 545 mark II and compared it to my 346xp 50 cc running 20lpx. They were so close in cutting speed but the bpx semi-chisel didn't need sharpening as much. I mean I took like 2 strokes per tooth after 3 tanks. On chisel I would normally have to touch up every tank. I will probably get flamed for this, but I don't see what the big deal with 3/8 is. I've used both .325 and 3/8 full chisel on 2 359's 60ccc the last 5 years and don't see an advantage of 3/8 being faster or more durable in the dead oak I cut. They both need sharpening often for firewood cutting. The main difference I noticed is 3/8's has a much larger difference in cutting speed going from round chisel to semi chisel (LG vs DP). Yes there are more cutters to sharpen and depth gauges to file with .325.

Often its claimed a 50cc saw may not handle full size cutters well but when you compare the .325 & 3/8 in your hand and on a bar the .325 has quite a few more cutters per foot & cutter size is very similar. For me going from .325 full comp to 3/8 f/c I notice the 3/8 chain keeps the saw higher in rpm kinda like skip chain does.

Latest posts

Back