Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a joke in response to another member who we gave a hard time about cutting in his, mine look almost like his :lol:.

Well im new here.... so......

22772204047aa980e2b372f80b5a3e15.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The only thing is I'd rather have one with more parts made in the USA on it, so I'd probably still buy a used one.
What one part isnt enough? Geesh the made in/assembled in/other bs sticker isnt even made in USA, but sure makes ya feel good. My 1962 MTD splitter has parts with foreign markings on in it, and metric seals..........geesh go wonder.

Quote for boiler replacement is 5500 canuckbucks. But I'll have heat and hot water by Christmas. Till then it's wood only which keeps the main floor toasty but the basement is starting to cool down.
Put this one piece of wood in the stove. I dont know what the heck it was but it burned like it was soaked in gasoline! Choked the damper way down and this one piece threw heat for a couple hours. I don't know what it was but I'll take 19 cord of it please!
e6c8322e5ecc91da848d6fd3469db370.jpg
f97b994063dd65e38e45c70d5d336501.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

63F120E2-74C7-4D80-B27D-0E566D1F4196.jpeg 159CBA45-DA68-4FEF-A2CD-CFA83D88186F.jpeg 1A36E601-136E-45A1-AA61-0E43B11327DF.jpeg
Welcome.
It sounds like one of the shorted splitters with a pusher on the ram and a knife on the beam, if so they work well for what they are and can do more splitting in a day than I can :).

I have one of those, used to sit about 6inches off the ground with no vertical option. I bought it 4th hand for $200. I say used to sit 6inches because the third owner raised it to Waiste height. Split a ton of wood with it the two years I used it. Wife runs the lever and I try not to loose any fingers. Daughters stack....

The Briggs that was on it always had carb issues. I’m to cheap to buy a carb kit, brother in-law was throwing out 16hp Honda snowblower when bought a Quad with plow. Guess what motors gonna make its way to that poor splitter...... yup, that’s the smarts I got, carb kit is probably less than $20, but I’ll spend $100 to make the engine swap work.

some old pics of my “skidder” and the wood processor

Picture of my little buddy riding in the plow truck this evening. My older dog hates this puppy. I’ve been making an extra effort to give him attention as to not make him jealous, but dang does he have it out for the puppy. The pup does ask for it sometimes, he constantly pushes the old dog’s buttons, and Jacque obligatorily whoops the puppy’s butt. DB85DA67-1297-43F8-A03A-A1639EBF9049.jpeg

Quote for boiler replacement is 5500 canuckbucks. But I'll have heat and hot water by Christmas. Till then it's wood only which keeps the main floor toasty but the basement is starting to cool down.
Put this one piece of wood in the stove. I dont know what the heck it was but it burned like it was soaked in gasoline! Choked the damper way down and this one piece threw heat for a couple hours. I don't know what it was but I'll take 19 cord of it please!

Piece of spruce that was stuck under @dancan 's minivan. Gets a little extra btu from rubbing all the seep oil off the pan.

View attachment 780910 View attachment 780911 View attachment 780912

I have one of those, used to sit about 6inches off the ground with no vertical option. I bought it 4th hand for $200. I say used to sit 6inches because the third owner raised it to Waiste height. Split a ton of wood with it the two years I used it. Wife runs the lever and I try not to loose any fingers. Daughters stack....

The Briggs that was on it always had carb issues. I’m to cheap to buy a carb kit, brother in-law was throwing out 16hp Honda snowblower when bought a Quad with plow. Guess what motors gonna make its way to that poor splitter...... yup, that’s the smarts I got, carb kit is probably less than $20, but I’ll spend $100 to make the engine swap work.

some old pics of my “skidder” and the wood processor
Yep, something like that is what I was picturing. Not the quickest, but they can do more than I can in a day :yes:.
I like the "lift kit" :rock2:.
I get changing the whole motor, I like many of the honda products.
My buddy who wrenches always gives me a hard time for not changing the timing belts in my Hondas, I tell him by the time I get done doing one I have about half the cost of having a low mileage motor delivered to the house, I'll take that chance :).

What one part isnt enough? Geesh the made in/assembled in/other bs sticker isnt even made in USA, but sure makes ya feel good. My 1962 MTD splitter has parts with foreign markings on in it, and metric seals..........geesh go wonder.
Nope lol.
You're right about those stickers too, not really worth much. I do what I can not to support china, I've done it for a long time. Back when we first started seeing Chinese auto parts here in the early 90's(that's when I remember them), I used to buy a lot of parts out of Canada, now I don't see anything that says made in Canada on it :rare2:. I'm not opposed to foreign manufacturing, I buy a lot of Japanese, Swedish, and German products, just do what I can to avoid the Chinese stuff.

Nope lol.
You're right about those stickers too, not really worth much. I do what I can not to support china, I've done it for a long time. Back when we first started seeing Chinese auto parts here in the early 90's(that's when I remember them), I used to buy a lot of parts out of Canada, now I don't see anything that says made in Canada on it :rare2:. I'm not opposed to foreign manufacturing, I buy a lot of Japanese, Swedish, and German products, just do what I can to avoid the Chinese stuff.
Onya.

-15 currently here. Be interesting to see where it bottoms out at.
We are expecting 42deg c (108f) tomorrow, but spare a thought for the people of poor old Birdsville in central Australia.
116deg f during the day minimum overnight lows in the high 80s.

So hopefully anyone who’s currently feeling a bit cold will feel nice and warm just by thinking about these temps

upload_2019-12-18_17-18-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-18_17-17-51.png
    upload_2019-12-18_17-17-51.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 3
I just read, 40.9C high.... Averaged across the country! Hot hot hot.

Admittedly, 95% of the country is desert so if you're not knocking up 40°+, it's just not good enough. One of the hottest places in Oz is a dot on the map called Marble Bar. There was a poem about it that I'll have to look up.

...and here it is...

Satan sat by the fires of Hell
As from endless time he’s sat,
And he sniffed great draughts of the brimstone’s smell
That came as the tongue-flames spat;

Then all at once the devil looked stern
For there in the depths of Hell
Was a fellow whom never a flame could burn
Or goad to an anguished yell;

So Satan stalked to the lonely scene
And growled with a stormy brow,
‘Now, stranger, tell me what does this mean?
You should be well scorched by now.’

But the chappie replied with a laugh quite new;
‘This place is too cold by far
Just chuck on an extra log or two
I’ve come from Marble Bar

@panolo beat me to it. I just figured it could only be that awesome Canadian wonder wood.
giphy.gif

Back