Why I love a 50cc saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 350 all day and twice on Sunday! They’re cheap and plentiful, parts are everywhere, easy to work on, lend themselves to modifying into a beast, and all this praise is from a Stihl guy.:)
I could build a half dozen or more of those for the price of a new MKII. Or for extra spice, brandy new OEM 346 top ends popped up on the Bay for $80 to my door last week!

I'd like a 550xp MkII, they look really solid. However, I won't be buying one as I have a 562xp and it's more jam for only about a pound heavier. 562 is my landing saw.

I love a 50cc saw for nice power at low weight so I can wield it around easily when walking into steep ravines, over branches, wind-falls and debris on slippery mountain slopes, sometimes without my caulk boots.

For me, the 261 c-m is the current 50cc winner on this power to weight criteria.

I became a 50cc lover more out of necessity. None of us are getting any younger. I wanted a new saw, small and light. I bought the 550XP Mkll and have never looked back. I've got bigger saws if I need 'em, but I haven't needed 'em yet.

Give me that 550, an 18" bar, a loop of .325 LPX, some hot gasoline, and I'm in heaven!

They did, they made it auto tune and it balances out perfect!
I became a 50cc lover more out of necessity. None of us are getting any younger. I wanted a new saw, small and light. I bought the 550XP Mkll and have never looked back. I've got bigger saws if I need 'em, but I haven't needed 'em yet.

Give me that 550, an 18" bar, a loop of .325 LPX, some hot gasoline, and I'm in heaven!
Ya what they said .........

The light 50cc saw on the market is an Echo CS-501P. It’s lighter than the Stihl 261. That’s my vote for now when considering price and performance.
I ran one of those for the first time at a GTG last weekend. I came away impressed. The echo dealers around here push the 490 and I feel that is a big mistake.

People act like Husky did something with the MKII. There's been a 12lb 4hp 50cc saw on the market for 15 years...
They did, something that old beast isn't capable of :popcorn2:.
They did, they made it auto tune and it balances out perfect!
While I enjoy the autotune/mtronic it's only good until it isn't, then what, that isn't a problem with the standard carb saws(I typically suggest them for firewooders). I have an almost full quiver of MT/AT saws for jobs though, hard to beat the overall efficiency with the other options like the flippy caps(huskys are the best), captured bar nuts, and the return to run master switch :rock:.
Yes, I think both the mk1 and 2 are superb when it comes to handing and balance with an 18.

I used to say that the 60cc was the best all around for me. But the newer 50 cc are so much stronger than the old ones. I handled a 261c and loved it. It felt better than the 026. I guess I could buy one and paint it all orange so the wife couldn't tell the difference.......
I like yer style, or just put it under the tree for her?:rolleyes:

Back