So, my friend wants to buy some wood from me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smacktooth

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'll spare you all the riveting back story of my wood journey (or save it for another post), but with a recent big score, right now I actually have more seasoned wood than I need for this year. I have a friend who lives in an apt in town with a fireplace. She wants maybe 2 bundles worth per week (though I don't know if she'd want that all winter long), and is looking for something cheaper than the bundles cost at store fronts: around here $5-6. I don't think she's got room for getting a 1/2 cord load delivered or anything. So she asked if she could buy some from me. I feel like I'd be happy to help her out, just not sure what to charge. Just looked on local FB marketplace, folks are selling wood in all sorts of different quantities and prices, some say seasoned others don't: for ex. "$40 - stack that fills 6ft pickup", "$65 facecord, seasoned", "$125 truck load delivered", "$20 per wheelbarrow load". I am not trying to make this into a business or anything, but if I can help a friend out and re-coup a bit of my efforts I wouldn't mind. I'm thinking maybe going with the $20 -wheel barrow idea. But curious what y'all think?

I've done this before. 10-20 bucks makes it worth your time and energy. Any less and you may as well just GIVE it to her. Any more and you may not sleep as well. Never worried about how much actual wood I was moving, since the amount was maybe a cord over the whole season.

I'll spare you all the riveting back story of my wood journey (or save it for another post), but with a recent big score, right now I actually have more seasoned wood than I need for this year. I have a friend who lives in an apt in town with a fireplace. She wants maybe 2 bundles worth per week (though I don't know if she'd want that all winter long), and is looking for something cheaper than the bundles cost at store fronts: around here $5-6. I don't think she's got room for getting a 1/2 cord load delivered or anything. So she asked if she could buy some from me. I feel like I'd be happy to help her out, just not sure what to charge. Just looked on local FB marketplace, folks are selling wood in all sorts of different quantities and prices, some say seasoned others don't: for ex. "$40 - stack that fills 6ft pickup", "$65 facecord, seasoned", "$125 truck load delivered", "$20 per wheelbarrow load". I am not trying to make this into a business or anything, but if I can help a friend out and re-coup a bit of my efforts I wouldn't mind. I'm thinking maybe going with the $20 -wheel barrow idea. But curious what y'all think?

It is hard to give a good answer without seeing a photo of your 'friend'.

Would this sale involve 'delivery'?

If she's a friend, just give it to her. She's probably not going to use enough to make a noticeable dent in your stack anyway.

If she's an acquaintance, figure out how much room she actually has, sell her as much at a time as you can. Figure out how much the bundles are and come in 20-30% lower than that per cubic foot of wood.

I have friends that I'd give something to if I had extra. Those friends would cook me dinner or pick me up some good craft beer. I have others that I'd ask for some beer. Either way it means more time doing stuff I like to do and helping a friend.

This is the way it works with me as well.

Bundles are usually .75 to 1 cubic foot. (mine are 1 ft.) If she is wanting to pay less that $5-$6, then charge her $3-$4. She'll be happy, you'll be happy. God bless capitalism!

I never have a problem selling to friends. They are all willing to pay whatever I ask, but they also know I'm the kind of guy to sell at a very reasonable price.

I also have a pile of 'splitter litter' that I give away. It's all small chunks and bits that are well worth burning but not 'pretty' enough to sell.
Maybe I ought to try and put those in my bags to sell - maybe they would go well. Perhaps an experimental run is needed.

Is she single? :surprised3:
Just kidding.

Sounds like she should buy a face cord and when she needs some she can just stop in and get a little at a time.

"Seasoned firewood" sells for about $55/face cord in my area. For a friend that wanted some I would ask for $40... depends which friend honestly. Some it makes sense to give it to them but others I would still charge. Also, if they wanted me to bring it to them then I might be less lenient because time/gas. It would still be cheaper for them to buy a face cord at $55 than buy bundles at the convenient store.

But, if shes cute and single then she might want some wood delivered once or twice a week. :surprised3:

I've sold a few pickup truck loads this year as I had some spare, $80 for a slightly heaped 6.5ft fullsize pickup bed. I've also sold to guys just wanting some for camping, $20 for one stacked row across the back of the pickup, that's MUCH better than $6 for one of those bundles. For a friend, i'd tell them to bring me a six pack for a row if they pick it up, if I have to deliver then I'd have no problem charging $20.

Yeah give it to her. As said above, friends pay each other back in other ways. Me n my buddies have a running tally in our head. When one needs help we throw old favors back and forth and decide who owes who....it is all on good fun. I try to get a bit ahead in the helping department, always have a favor to call in! Although it goes the other way also!!!

I'd just give it to her if a friend and not going to impact your stores. My wife and I recently gave away a half cord of 2+ years seasoned oak to a couple who are friends and just starting out with wood heat. Didn't really impact us much, and my only loss was the time I spent processing and stacking it. I've gained a lot in life due to other people's generosity, so I have no problem helping others out. You get what you give.

Back