Recommendations on best 16 or 18in bar and chain combo.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short10320

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Plan from the start was to buy my ms 261 c-m with the 20in bar and purchase a shorter bar later on. Well the time has come. What are your personal preference to a 16in or 18in bar and chain combo.

I just wanted the 20in bar to cut down the oaks I had to their gone now I need my shorter chain for firewood

Keep whatever the 261 comes with I don’t know if it’s .325 or 3/8 and I would keep the 20 on there for reach

I just wanted the 20in bar to cut down the oaks I had to their gone now I need my shorter chain for firewood

20" oak on a 50cc? From both sides with a 13" bar like a logger would do it that's just fine. You want to cut all the way through get a 70cc.

20" oak on a 50cc? From both sides with a 13" bar like a logger would do it that's just fine.
I’m sure if it comes with a 20 it will be just fine if he feels like it can’t then he should get a bigger saw and why would someone want to cut from 2 sides bucking..... waste of time

I would probably live with the 20, but, if I wanted a second, I'd get the 16. There's not enough difference in the 18 to make any difference. It's kind of like me asking if I should get a 24" to run on my 100CC Super 1050, when I have a 28? Not enough difference to make a difference. But, then I've got this thing with saws. I've actually got 3, 1050's with 24,36, and 45" bars so I don't have to waist time swapping them around.

I was asking just because I found a Oregon pro lite bar and chain combo that says it'll fit my stihl perfectly and it's not bad priced

You will get a wide variety of answers because preference varies so much. There is an advantage of only having to keep one file/guide/whatever if you keep the same size chain.

Part of the kick is trying different things, but you won't be the first person to try something and decide that it was a waste of money. Or is ideal.

Latest posts

Back