McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For quite some time, I tried to no avail to get the specs on MAC's screw described in the IPL as "special screw" which was missing from some of my project saws so I began substituting an Allen socket head screw. I also struggled reassembling the saws with the rear A/V mounted to the cylinder since it is hard to access the special screw if you mount the A/V to the tank first and is impossible with an Allen socket head screw. So I drilled a hole smack in the middle of the ID plate. This also allows you to mount the A/V to the tank first. After inserting and tightening the socket head screw I plugged the hole with a plastic plug. As life would have it I was later able to source some of the "special screws".

View attachment 780162

View attachment 780161

Ron

Ah right I should have spotted what you were doing in that picture. Makes sense.

What ever happened to Kyle. wife kids? You did him a very good deed with that 850 and was good to see him get it going.

I was interested about the anti vibe bits as mine are getting pretty tired and cracked up and as usual I'm wondering if I could build something:)

Kyle was around 18 at the time and was bullied a lot on other AS threads and on another site by men behaving as kids. He responded in kind and was banned from time to time. Probably got discouraged and gave up. Pretty sad all the drama.

Ron

New or refreshed A/V mounts are still on my list. Several years ago, I made a prototype one piece spring mount from solder wire. Took it to a machine together with a broken mount. They decided it would be better to rehab the old ones so I took them my collection of old ones. Bread and butter projects obviously come first and nothing was ever done. They are now closing their shop and are looking for my cores.

Similar mounts are still made for industrial applications but I have yet to find the right size. I quit buying old stock as many are hard as bricks. With some success I have been running a machine screw through the gooey ethanol eaten ones.

Ron

Sad about Kyle very sad hope he still has and runs his 850.

Ahh right so those mounts I see on Ebay are hard and nasty?

The screw sounds like not a bad idea mine luckily haven't been eaten by fuel (don't really have much of that yucky fuel here) but they are starting to peel of the metal a bit and perhaps a screw though them might get a few more years.

What worries me is 1 breaking off and then tearing the intake boot.

Hopfully that shop finds your bits before they close up

Getting ready to put a 125 back together. It has been a couple years since I took it apart and located the parts to get her going. My question is which way does the piston go as if I remember correctly it only goes one way??? I will have more questions on this one as it seems the crank seals were a bit odd?? Picture added. Thanks!!

Attachments

• DSCN2068_13159DSCN2068-2.jpg
    DSCN2068_13159DSCN2068-2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 10
Just picked this guy up today. Clean gas with fresh filter in and fired right up.

Need parts though[emoji31]

Handle (it’s broken in 3 pieces)
Air filter (interchange models?)
A bar (looks to be .404?)
Gas tank gasket

Any pointers for these greatly appreciated

a512b00ee59eeb160d0c7ad9cf298dac.jpg
bc140723c6e043dfc29930b80dfed064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not encountered a PM105 myself, but others have stated the fuel tank would be the same as a 797 and related models. If that is the case, the air filter would be the same as all the other large frame saws from the D-30/44 etc. all the way up through the 700/800 series saws. That would be the large, flat almost square shaped air filter, but a view with the AF cover off would quickly confirm it.

Same goes for the bar, any large frame bar will work.

The clutch cover is set up for a chain brake but I'm not sure the PM105 would have been equipped with a brake. The same clutch cover would also have been used on the SP105 and 125.

The elusive 895CL would have been the gear drive version of the same saw.

Mark

The PM60 I picked up is ready for a run. It took some cleaning and some time on cosmetic work to fill the pitting in the bottom of the starter.

It looks really good inside and both oilers are working. It will need a new oil tank gasket which I'll make once I have the auto oiler adjusted.

All it needed to start and run well on the bench was a fuel line and filter and a carb kit.

I had to make a new muffler cover as the old one was getting pretty thin in one corner.

The old work bench it's sitting on was my grandfathers and I believe he built that in the late 1920's Still as solid as a rock.

DSCF4246.JPG DSCF4242.JPG DSCF4243.JPG DSCF4244.JPG

Had a setback today with the sp125...ive got an air leak. I just could not get it adjusted properly. It was searching. So i kept trying in a log and finally it hit me what was wrong. No matter how much fuel i adjusted for it was running like crazy. Ill tear it down another day. I bet the boot has a hole in it. I hope its not too big. Ill post a video once i get it fixed and cutting properly.

The PM60 I picked up is ready for a run. It took some cleaning and some time on cosmetic work to fill the pitting in the bottom of the starter.

It looks really good inside and both oilers are working. It will need a new oil tank gasket which I'll make once I have the auto oiler adjusted.

All it needed to start and run well on the bench was a fuel line and filter and a carb kit.

I had to make a new muffler cover as the old one was getting pretty thin in one corner.

The old work bench it's sitting on was my grandfathers and I believe he built that in the late 1920's Still as solid as a rock.

View attachment 781388 View attachment 781389 View attachment 781390 View attachment 781391

That is a lovely saw another 1 saved. Bet it will be a gem to run too

What a cool bench 100 years later still going strong that's a real treasure Tim your a lucky man

Had a setback today with the sp125...ive got an air leak. I just could not get it adjusted properly. It was searching. So i kept trying in a log and finally it hit me what was wrong. No matter how much fuel i adjusted for it was running like crazy. Ill tear it down another day. I bet the boot has a hole in it. I hope its not too big. Ill post a video once i get it fixed and cutting properly.

Hard to "like" this but then you saved it in time so yeah I'll hit the button

Back