Favorite Saw You Own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
Easy topic here. Of all the saws you currently own, which is your favorite and why? And post a picture.

I know some will have multiple saws they claim are there favorite, but I'm sure a majority of you have a saw you just really love.

For me, it is currently my MS461 with a 25" bar and chain. I love my Husky 450 for sentimental reasons, and it's a great runner, but my 461 puts a smile on my face everytime I use it.

Here is my girl when I first got her running. I bought her after being straight-gassed.
picture.php

Ok, let's hear it!

No favorite overall here, when the wood is small I'm excited to run the 2147 or 2139t. A little bigger wood is for the weed whip 346 or 562. When it's real cold my favorite will probably be the 357xpg I just got. For bigger stuff yet the sausaged 365 or 2171 get some work. They are ALL fun to run for their appropriate use. I'm hopefully getting a 394 next week for milling.

I like my ms290. I feel that I have more then gotten my moneys worth from it, and it is still going strong. It is like it is making money, and if something happens to it (a tree falls on it, or it gets stolen, etc), I could live with it. It is also my experimental saw. If I am going to attempt something on a saw that I have doubts about -- do it on ms290 first, the now expendable saw.

My new favorite is my Makita DCS 6401. It’s a fairly new acquisition for me but I really enjoy running it.
f0986d53187f0f9f625038e72287c176.jpg

My all time favorite is my Stihl 028 wb. But that’s for sentimental reasons. It was my fathers saw. He purchased it as an upgrade to his trusty Pioneer P26. A co-worker of his had a saw sharpening service that he ran as a side line. He became a Stihl dealer and my dad bought it from him. It’s now mine as I acquired it after my father passed. It’s in pieces on the shelf awaiting rebuild/ restoration.

I usually grab my 562xp first. It's the closest thing I have to a "hot rod" saw and is big enough for 60-70% of the wood I have to cut. It's not too heavy, handles great, wicked throttle response, starts hot or cold every time no problemo, and sips fuel. Took awhile to break in, I'd say ~10 tanks (I see you're rebuilding a couple 562's so hang in there at first), but nowadays it never disappoints I can lean on it in any of the hardwoods around my way, it rips with a 20".

08zuP6W.jpg

Second would be me 346xp, just got it a couple months ago from @chipper1. Evil little saw that is great for limbing, topping, and smaller wood. First time I ran it I understood why so many folks love 'em. It's an ass-kickin saw that will indeed put a grin on your face and cut a lot of wood fast.

asz82af.jpg

My 550xp was really the first good saw I bought. Before that I had a MS 211 which was great I just wanted more. After the 550xp I kept looking for bigger and better and I just really haven’t found anything that runs or starts better. It’s stock besides a gutted muffler and it’s a 2013 and Ive had no hot starting issues. If you don’t own one yet try to find one they are pretty killer

Definitely my 462. Light and nimble especially for a 70cc saw that can pull 32" of bar when necessary. Good felling saw. Good bucking saw.

I do grab my 261 for the smaller stuff and even felling if it's small trees. However, if I had to only keep one saw for the foreseeable future, I would sell everything else and keep the 462.

I usually grab my 562xp first. It's the closest thing I have to a "hot rod" saw and is big enough for 60-70% of the wood I have to cut. It's not too heavy, handles great, wicked throttle response, starts hot or cold every time no problemo, and sips fuel. Took awhile to break in, I'd say ~10 tanks (I see you're rebuilding a couple 562's so hang in there at first), but nowadays it never disappoints I can lean on it in any of the hardwoods around my way, it rips with a 20".

08zuP6W.jpg

Second would be me 346xp, just got it a couple months ago from @chipper1. Evil little saw that is great for limbing, topping, and smaller wood. First time I ran it I understood why so many folks love 'em. It's an ass-kickin saw that will indeed put a grin on your face and cut a lot of wood fast.

asz82af.jpg
Heck yeah :rock:.
That is a good running little saw.
Hope all is well out your way bud.

Back