McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a camera system. I will hunt you down, and you do not want that. Like I told my daughter's first date. I don't care to go back to prison...LOL That usually gets there attention. A few shots over there head usually gets the neighborhoods attention. Word gets around.

Brian

So ive got good news update for my sp125. The boot is in great condition. The top of the engine is now very clean because a clean saw is a happy saw. I may have some ocd. So where was the air from? Well i had a massive brain fart.....im embarrased actually however its a good embarrassment. I took it all apart to check the boot. It all looked great so i put it all back together and then added the fuel i siphoned out of it and noticed something and smacked my head against the wall. I could see my fuel filter. Sooo, i was actually running out of gas. It was sucking air but it was from the fuel tank. Idiot i said. I forget how thirsty 123cc of chainsaw can be. So i filled it up and its just as fine as frogs hair. Feel free to laugh at me like my wife did. And myself. I. Just glad that it was good and now its cleaner.

I would never laugh at you Vinny but sadly, I told my wife and she did.

I know a guy that has a 372 that ran fine until one morning when he fired it up and outta nowhere it starts running poorly before it died and wouldn't start again or even pop, so he brought it over to @sawracr and asked him to see what was wrong with it. Sawracr picked the saw up, choked it and after a pull or two it fired right up. When that saw fired up almost immediately the owner's jaw just about hit the ground while racr and I had a few chuckles over his being struck speechless. As I figured out later the saw has an intermittent air leak/carb issue so at times it'll run fine and at times it'll run poorly, but it doesn't make the story any less funny.

Operation overhead complete:).

So had an annoying lesson today not as bad as vinny's check the gas lesson but still a pain in the bum:(

I have probably 6 or 8 20inch bars mostly hard nose and the 800s original 20 inch mac/windsor bar anyway always new them all to be 70 drive links now recently got a new 20 inch bar that is a 10mm slot and also a very old replaceable 3 rivet tip Oregon D176 it's (nice after some love)

Thought I'd get some chain for them so off to the stihl dealer I've decided I like that chain the most and is worth the extra cost now I ask him for two at 70 drivers.. he looks at me puzzled 70? Are you sure? Yes I said as they always ask ok he says and makes my chains.... so went to chuck them on today and .. what the #@#* there short grrr so I thought ahh you dumb a$$ you can't count... nope 70 drivers soo rather grumpy I was I put the bars up against a McCulloch bar and bugger me they are 71 or 72 driver bars dam it so now because I don't have any bits n bob's of stihl chain im going to have to drag my sorry but back in there and grovel away and get a couple links added in hahaha aww dam it he said are you sure haha oh well.

What's odd is I have a Oregon hard nose bar that is 70 links so yeah that's my story for the day

I heard this story on another forum.A potential buyer went to look at a really nice saw that everyone seemed to want to have.The seller told the buyer that he couldn't get it to fire up for nothing.The buyer asked how much for the saw & the seller replied "$50 & you can have it".The buyer handed over the money,flipped the switch on & it fired up on the 2nd pull.The seller said quite sheepishly "I guess I shoulda tried the switch".
Ed

I would never laugh at you Vinny but sadly, I told my wife and she did.
Vinny and Tim:
I used to, and still do some motorcycles. I also bought motorcycles and repaired them and put them up for sale. A guy came in with a 1981 Honda 650-4, that had been in a guys garage all of it's life and had like 3,000 miles on it. Now I love the old 650-4 and 750-4 Hondas, also 76-82 Goldwings. Also this guy was asking a very reasonable price for it. I cleanrd it up nicely, new points and plugs along with plugwires. New tires front and rear, grips. Cleaned the carbs and kitted them and synced them nicely. The tank had some rust in it so I lined the tank. Really nice bike when I got done with it. One Sunday I thought I would take it out for a good ride and see how it done and it performed like a new one. I parked it in the front of the shop where the bikes for sale was. Monday morning I put it, along with others out on the front to bring in customers. Now my shop is on the side of a hill and at that time you could not get a bike through from the front of the shop to the back. A customer came in and wanted to here this beautiful 650-4 run. I pulled the choke and expected it to run like it had done many times the week before, but this time it hit, ran for just a few seconds and quit and would only hit just on choke. So I coasted this bike down the hill a little, across beside the shop, UP THE HILL, into the shop and UP onto the lift. I opened the fuel drains on the bottom of the carbs and no fuel came out. I thought some of the Kreem may not have hardened well and got into the petcock, or the vacuum petcock was not working for some reason. I removed the seat and took the bolt holding the gas tank out and started to remove the tank then I found my problem. I must have ran that bike in on fumes that Sunday night and by just the luck of the draw when I turned up hill to go to the shop it pushed the remaining drops of fuel to the back of the tank where the petcock could suck it up. That tank was dry. I am a small person, and pushing that bike up the hill and then up onto the lift, only to find it was out of fuel.

Brian

Operation overhead complete:).

So had an annoying lesson today not as bad as vinny's check the gas lesson but still a pain in the bum:(

I have probably 6 or 8 20inch bars mostly hard nose and the 800s original 20 inch mac/windsor bar anyway always new them all to be 70 drive links now recently got a new 20 inch bar that is a 10mm slot and also a very old replaceable 3 rivet tip Oregon D176 it's (nice after some love)

Thought I'd get some chain for them so off to the stihl dealer I've decided I like that chain the most and is worth the extra cost now I ask him for two at 70 drivers.. he looks at me puzzled 70? Are you sure? Yes I said as they always ask ok he says and makes my chains.... so went to chuck them on today and .. what the #@#* there short grrr so I thought ahh you dumb a$$ you can't count... nope 70 drivers soo rather grumpy I was I put the bars up against a McCulloch bar and bugger me they are 71 or 72 driver bars dam it so now because I don't have any bits n bob's of stihl chain im going to have to drag my sorry but back in there and grovel away and get a couple links added in hahaha aww dam it he said are you sure haha oh well.

What's odd is I have a Oregon hard nose bar that is 70 links so yeah that's my story for the day
Jethro:
I have a MAC 10-10S that has a 20" Black/yellow MAC Bar. I also have a off brand (Husky 262XP) that has a 20" bar same brand as saw. I also have a PM10-10 regular that has a Oregon 20" bar. The off brand and the pm10-10 with the Oregon bar both have 71 or 72 DL link chains, cannot remember right now, But the PM10-10S with the black/yellow MAC bar has a 70DL chain.

Brian

Ah right so Mac bars are 70 links but most others might not be I assumed the d176 bar was for a mac but suppose no not really. Aww well lesson learned will take a 70 link bar in with me to show him

All my 20" bars that fit the Mac's,Homie's & Poulan's take the same .050 gauge 70 DL 3/8 chains.The Poulan & Homie ones are interchangeable,chain adjuster pin/oiler holes match up.Just the Mac's need a slight modification with the chain adjuster pin hole,no big deal.

Ah right so Mac bars are 70 links but most others might not be I assumed the d176 bar was for a mac but suppose no not really. Aww well lesson learned will take a 70 link bar in with me to show him

The 276 was a MAC bar mount and Oregon added oiler holes to it to make the 176 so it would also fit Poulans (like your 4000) and Echo's.

Have a ProMac 10-10S. Here are pictures of the saw and Model, Serial #. I have ordered a rebuild kit for the Walbro carb. Problem I am having saw starts and runs fine until it gets hot, then dies and won't restart. Not sure if coil or fuel related. Is this a points model, or electronic ignition. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Loosening gas cap does not solve the issue.
931e2a0d1479954b78a2b1219e16124a.jpg
104d6ad896bce784229b968414a62877.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Model is 60111B
Serial is 11-015621

Hard to read on reduced pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It should have an ellectronic module

I would be looking at the fuel line and filter to eliminate that. The line could be kinked or the filter could be plugged. If you haven't cleaned the carb yet, the screen in the carb may be filled with crap as well.
There should be a spring in the fuel line in the airbox side of the line to prevent kinking.

If you can run a line with a filter to the carb and feed it fuel from a bottle that may tell you if it's the fuel line or filter as well.

10-10S is electronic ignition.My first PM610 bought new years ago had a similar issue,you wouldn't dare run it until it was empty while on a hot summer day.Real PITA to get started after refueling.If I waited 30-45 min after that normally started within 2-3 pulls.But that gets old fast,especially when you have a limited time available for wood cutting or cleaning up storm damage.

Sometimes loosening gas cap (vapor lock) helped without the rest period but not very often.Carb kit/new fuel lines should fix your problem

The 10-10S is an electronic ignition saw.It sounds like the typical symptom of an electronic ignition module beginning to break down.I would not rule out a fuel system problem however.It's difficult to comprehend at times,but an electronic issue can mimick a fuel system problem & vice versa.Check your fuel line to make sure it's still good & also it probably wouldn't hurt if you haven't changed out the fuel filter lately (or at all) to do so & go from there.If you have another module to put on from any 10 series electronic ignition saw then you'll find out quickly that it's the module.A new module will typically run from $45 - $60.Please don't buy off Ebay as their prices are typically inflated.
Ed

The 276 was a MAC bar mount and Oregon added oiler holes to it to make the 176 so it would also fit Poulans (like your 4000) and Echo's.

Yes it will fit the 4000 it has a fatter tail compared to the mac bars I can't run a mac bar on the 4000 they are too narrow and will chew the plates up real fast.

Back