Stihl ErgoStart Retro-Fitting Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbird1983

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy to all, So I'm rebuilding an original Stihl 036 I picked up in at a junkyard for next to nothing, and I've noticed how difficult it is to pull the starter on this saw. I tested the compression and I'm around 140-150 psi...I was planning on giving this saw to my old man for Christmas, but after pulling on it myself, I realize there is no way my old man could pull this saw without seriously hurting himself...I'm wondering if anyone out there has taken the guts out of one of the ErgoStarts and installed them in a starter housing that was not meant for an ErgoStart? If anyone has accomplished this, I would appreciate some advice/info on how I would attempt this venture. Will anything need to be added to the flywheel so that the rope motor can properly bite? I'm believe my next move will be to actually go to Stihl Dealer and see how these ErgoStart mechanisms work...But any and and all info will be greatly appreciated! THNX

i,ve retrofitted the non ergostart to 3 stihl blowers recently (bg86/bg56) because the cushdrive springs on those jam up and bend,
it was just a rope rotor straight swap

Try a Stihl "Elastostart" pull rope assembly.
Otherwise, you're S.O.L.
If your 036 doesn't have a decompression release, like an 036 Pro, you may be able to tap and install one.
I did it on a power products two stroke Model 820 with success. It was a (10hp) monster rail cutoff saw. That thing would sting your hand with what felt like it was firing backwards.
If your dad can't pull start it, it may be a sign that it might not be considered a good idea as a gift. Unless one were trying to expedite one's rightfull inheritance.
:)

Two words:

Dolmar 420

sorry, couldn't resist. It's ridiculous how easily my 420 starts. Apparently the 6100 is the same? I have a 5105; it's a little finicky on cold start.

yup, you need a compression release or a different saw, unfortunately.

some of the little Echos are pretty cheap, brand new. Or a cs590...which is a remarkable saw for the money. OK, it's an Echo. Once you get over that you learn to appreciate the "tractor saw"...it just keeps pulling and pulling..and it had a compression release button.

anyway, good luck!!

Latest posts

Back