McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM60 first run. It runs well. The idle was a little low after running it a bit so it's turned up now.

It sounded like it bogged a bit but I think my fat gloves weren't keeping the throttle all the way open.

Nice unit. The wood I cut has been sitting quite a while and is getting dusty.

That thing is running nicely Tim thanks for braving the cold for us:)

What sort of wood is it? Its ripping through that.

I think you might be able to use a Mac bar on your Poulan if you put an S clip behind the bar.
Ed

It's more the bar rails are too close together the bar pad is a bigger area and clamps the chain before clamping the bar if that makes any sense lol

It's beautiful outside today. Temp in just at freezing and one of those sunny days in December which aren't too common.

The wood is maple. I thought of getting a sledge hammer out to free a pine log. That makes any saw look good. Since most people won't burn pine here, it usually ends up in the chippers. I rarely collect ti as it burns fast and I need about twice the space to store it as I would for hardwood.

I love it as it burns fast and hot so sometimes I get a bit for the fireplace.

I went outside and fired up the 60 with no bar and chain to see if it would pump cold oil. Very slow. I'll put some winter bar oil in and that should do it.
That muffler cover I made makes it a definite ear bleeder. I didn't put any ear plugs in for the oiler test.

Two good things about living in a cold winter.

1) We can get winter bar oil.
2) Giving my wife a big hug, lifting up her shirt and putting my freezing cold hands on her back. This also requires ear plugs.

It's beautiful outside today. Temp in just at freezing and one of those sunny days in December which aren't too common.

The wood is maple. I thought of getting a sledge hammer out to free a pine log. That makes any saw look good. Since most people won't burn pine here, it usually ends up in the chippers. I rarely collect ti as it burns fast and I need about twice the space to store it as I would for hardwood.

I love it as it burns fast and hot so sometimes I get a bit for the fireplace.

I went outside and fired up the 60 with no bar and chain to see if it would pump cold oil. Very slow. I'll put some winter bar oil in and that should do it.
That muffler cover I made makes it a definite ear bleeder. I didn't put any ear plugs in for the oiler test.

Two good things about living in a cold winter.

1) We can get winter bar oil.
2) Giving my wife a big hug, lifting up her shirt and putting my freezing cold hands on her back. This also requires ear plugs.

Hahaha I bet she squawks real good when doing that ya meanie:)

It cuts really well is that grinder or filed chain?

I use a bit of diesel in my bar oil the forecourt attendant got real grumpy... "hey hey ya can't do that HEY that's not an approved container stop that please.. yeah mate no worries I'll stop now I've put a litre in. Are ya going to tip it out are ya? As I wander off to pay.

Generally they never give a darn but sometimes the teacher's pet type square person freaks out. Any way bla bla winter oil

What sort of pine is it? We burn alot of radiata pine here but I'm not sure it's very common up there down here its every 3rd tree nearly and because its not as bitterly cold we get away with burning all kinds of wood and mix it with blue gum or other hard stuff. People burn willow I grab a bit of black poplar for a mix the cypress is better than radiata but not massively umm elder hell what ever really. Its strange seeing you northerners so picky but then just on freezing is a warm day so I see why. 15F is very cold for us coast dwellers that's -10C and would get that very very rarely but do get cold miserable southerly winds from the pole most of the year and April till November the fire will be going

Jethro, theres a guy that sells bar spacers for macs on ebay. They are $10.50 here. They might be something to help you. They are for just your problem with bars too narrow. Made for mounting the smaller heel bars on large frame saws so the bar plates wont get damaged. Just something to consider. His name is "customchainsawparts". I have a set and they work as advertised. You may be able to use the idea and make some. I know you enjoy fabrication of parts.

Jethro, theres a guy that sells bar spacers for macs on ebay. They are $10.50 here. They might be something to help you. They are for just your problem with bars too narrow. Made for mounting the smaller heel bars on large frame saws so the bar plates wont get damaged. Just something to consider. His name is "customchainsawparts". I have a set and they work as advertised. You may be able to use the idea and make some. I know you enjoy fabrication of parts.

Hey vinny cheers mate it was only to run a mac bar on a poulan I've since got some bars for it now so no problem anymore but thank you though I could probably do that idea if need be

PM60 first run. It runs well. The idle was a little low after running it a bit so it's turned up now.

It sounded like it bogged a bit but I think my fat gloves weren't keeping the throttle all the way open.

Fantastic Tim! She sounds great on video, must be super loud! Maple is a good test for any saw . When I want to make it look fast I'll cut sweet gum or Virginia pine.
Good to see a win on a McCulloch saw purchase.

20191220_160611.jpg 20191220_160654.jpg 20191220_160710.jpg 20191220_160615.jpg 20191220_160645.jpg
Probably one of the least abused McCulloch saws I received in a multiple saw deal.
I got it running last week but wanted it sit for a couple days with fresh fuel and oil for a minute. The previous owner drove a square head pipe plug through the gas tank port then drilled a smaller hole in that to fit a 3/16 fuel line, ahhh it leaked. So I fixed that fix and put a new gas tank gasket in it.
About the only non original items I can find on the saw is the pull handle and the chain. It runs and cuts pretty well but I suspect that I'll be rebuilding the carburetor soon to get it to its full potential.

View attachment 781928 View attachment 781929 View attachment 781930 View attachment 781932 View attachment 781934
Probably one of the least abused McCulloch saws I received in a multiple saw deal.
I got it running last week but wanted it sit for a couple days with fresh fuel and oil for a minute. The previous owner drove a square head pipe plug through the gas tank port then drilled a smaller hole in that to fit a 3/16 fuel line, ahhh it leaked. So I fixed that fix and put a new gas tank gasket in it.
About the only non original items I can find on the saw is the pull handle and the chain. It runs and cuts pretty well but I suspect that I'll be rebuilding the carburetor soon to get it to its full potential.

That's nice man. I didn't realise the "S" came with black choke and oiler knobs. Was the 55 directly replaced by the 10-10S ?

Hahaha I bet she squawks real good when doing that ya meanie:)

It cuts really well is that grinder or filed chain?

What sort of pine is it? We burn alot of radiata pine here but I'm not sure it's very common up there down here its every 3rd tree nearly and because its not as bitterly cold we get away with burning all kinds of wood and mix it with blue gum or other hard stuff. People burn willow I grab a bit of black poplar for a mix the cypress is better than radiata but not massively umm elder hell what ever really. Its strange seeing you northerners so picky but then just on freezing is a warm day so I see why. 15F is very cold for us coast dwellers that's -10C and would get that very very rarely but do get cold miserable southerly winds from the pole most of the year and April till November the fire will be going

Filed using Granberg File N Joint. If I want to get fussy I use that. Very consistent and once you get onto it, it's very fast. If I was out in the bush I would be hand filing.

I do have a grinder but don't use it much. It works well but I don't have a spot to permanently mount it so it's faster just hand file or just the Grandberg

I think the pine I have is scotch pine. Not native to Ontario but common in urban areas. Native pines near me are eastern white pine, red pine and jack pine,

Not sure about the jack pine status as the seeds only germinate with a fire which we keep putting out! We had some nasty fires last summer though.

I find I do much better adjusting to the cold these days than the heat.

Looking forward to doing more ice fishing this coming winter.

That's nice man. I didn't realise the "S" came with black choke and oiler knobs. Was the 55 directly replaced by the 10-10S ?
I broke the green one ! I think I posted about how I keep braking the green ones. The choke is oem though.
Im not sure the 2 saws may have run concurrently.

Filed using Granberg File N Joint. If I want to get fussy I use that. Very consistent and once you get onto it, it's very fast. If I was out in the bush I would be hand filing.

I do have a grinder but don't use it much. It works well but I don't have a spot to permanently mount it so it's faster just hand file or just the Grandberg

I think the pine I have is scotch pine. Not native to Ontario but common in urban areas. Native pines near me are eastern white pine, red pine and jack pine,

Not sure about the jack pine status as the seeds only germinate with a fire which we keep putting out! We had some nasty fires last summer though.

I find I do much better adjusting to the cold these days than the heat.

Looking forward to doing more ice fishing this coming winter.

Ahh right they look good those file n joints nearly bought an old old yellow 1 a while back but forgot about the auction lol.

Yeah "pine" is a very generic name for a gazillion different trees so thought I'd ask. Ours if over 40 years is very sappy wood and its flammable like gas nearly. Try to save it for after dark as it chuffs the black smoke haha and they get grumpy about it now :(

What fish do ya drag up? Is it fresh water?

I broke the green one ! I think I posted about how I keep braking the green ones. The choke is oem though.
Im not sure the 2 saws may have run concurrently.

Ah right are they not as good plastic? Or luck haha.

Yeah just wondering about the 55 if there was any differences in the cylinder more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm still really impressed with that S engine I have it just seems a world away from the 54cc and i got to use my mates pm10-10 a few days ago (2 pulls and running after 4 months) but yeah that S just leaves it for dead and seems to want to be higher up the rev range and has the torque to pull it up to those numbers and keep it there too. The 54 just kinda plods along and if tuned a bit mean it sounds not happy like too lean not happy but the S still crackles away with a four stroke way higher up.

With it underneath the light frame and no brake it's a joy to run. Still thinking of hiding it under the 2-10 but can't be assed pulling that perfectly running block down to fit the righty pull crank.

Question lads. . . Do you think a righty start clutch will stay tight on a lefty crank with no key? Has anyone tried?

That little saw is getting right to it!!!

Ahh right they look good those file n joints nearly bought an old old yellow 1 a while back but forgot about the auction lol.

Yeah "pine" is a very generic name for a gazillion different trees so thought I'd ask. Ours if over 40 years is very sappy wood and its flammable like gas nearly. Try to save it for after dark as it chuffs the black smoke haha and they get grumpy about it now :(

Yeah just wondering about the 55 if there was any differences in the cylinder more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm still really impressed with that S engine I have it just seems a world away from the 54cc and i got to use my mates pm10-10 a few days ago (2 pulls and running after 4 months) but yeah that S just leaves it for dead and seems to want to be higher up the rev range and has the torque to pull it up to those numbers and keep it there too. The 54 just kinda plods along and if tuned a bit mean it sounds not happy like too lean not happy but the S still crackles away with a four stroke way higher up.

With it underneath the light frame and no brake it's a joy to run. Still thinking of hiding it under the 2-10 but can't be assed pulling that perfectly running block down to fit the righty pull crank.

Question lads. . . Do you think a righty start clutch will stay tight on a lefty crank with no key? Has anyone tried?

I think the plastic it weaker than the black, only because I'm pretty careful with the old saws, except for the 700 I use at work , I've had it flung from my hands a couple of times and it just keeps on chugging along , branches and a trunk snatched it from me.
Honestly I can't tell a difference between the 55 and the S , if there's any I'd notice it could be carburetion or chain because I don't have any 2 chainsaws set up the same way.
Buy the way I just found a loop of 24" .404 in .050 gauge on an old roller nose I had, its old #5 stihl semi chisel so when I convert a d176 bar with a nose I'll post a video of it with a pm700 pulling it.

Your right about that S compared to the 10-10a , its definitely a notch above. I do have a 10-10a with a fairly new cylinder on it though and it's a champ and the 600014 10-10 with the fixed jet big carb is a ripper also, I might have to make some filmed cuts!

Back