Can you diagnose my Stihl by listening to it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboekman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 026. It starts and idles well. But when I hold down the trigger wide open it just intermittently revs but wont sustain a high RPM. I replaced the fuel filter and line, air filter, spark plug, and carburetor and it still behaves the same. I adjusted the tuning screws appropriately...still the same. What's next?

I would start in fixing the little obvious things, and in doing so you might happen on "the" problem. That dangling and swinging felling dog needs tightening.

Me: I start taking it apart and cleaning everything. In doing so, you touch and see everything and find the problem that way, usually. YMMV.

that to me sounds like intermittent fire on the coil a way to check is to pull it pull out the spark plug and see if the spark is jumping around instead of arcing smoothly across

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I'll tighten everything up and try your suggestions. I do know the impulse hose is inserted properly as I just replaced the carb.

Try taking off air filter and see if the problem is still there. That will eliminate or tell that it's the choke flap. Warm it up first or it will be a PITA to start cold W/O choke.

From there check wires to kill switch/coil, and spark plug wire. Look for missing insulation. As PA mentioned debris around coil, besides at pickup around the grounding terminal.

Some spark plugs have a screw on terminal for coil wire, make sure that is tight.

Was problem there before replacing parts mentioned?

Try taking off air filter and see if the problem is still there. That will eliminate or tell that it's the choke flap. Warm it up first or it will be a PITA to start cold W/O choke.

From there check wires to kill switch/coil, and spark plug wire. Look for missing insulation. As PA mentioned debris around coil, besides at pickup around the grounding terminal.

Some spark plugs have a screw on terminal for coil wire, make sure that is tight.

Was problem there before replacing parts mentioned?
Thanks. I'll try this stuff tomorrow. Yeah, the problem prompted me to replace everything. The only benefit I saw from all the replacements is that it starts and idles a lot nicer.

Back