The Echo cs-390esx

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
RIMG0029.JPG
I just wanted to tell you my impressions of this sweet little chainsaw, and why I decided to return it and get my money back.

I have not started or run it, I don't have to because I know it does those things pretty good.

The power head is flawlessly perfect, it gives the impression of a solid compact and high quality unit.
However, the rear handle immediately gives the impression of toy plastic, it looks that way and it feels that way.
The fuel tank opening don't have proper threads, just a thin plastic rim that goes one whole turn inside the opening to act as threads for the cap. It might hold up just fine but on my other saw (different brand) that had this exact feature it didn't.

At this cost segment I would expect to get 100% satisfied, I wish the designer had looked at the Husqvarna 4xx series of homeowner saws to get an idea of how a solid looking and feeling rear handle should be, and that they didn't choose to go with the cheap and quick solution on the fuel tank opening thread(s) instead of making proper solid threads.

Someone else might not react negative to the things I reacted negative to and I'm pretty sure that's all in my head, and that if you don't get hung up on those details like I did then the saw will serve you well.
The rest of the power head including the front bar handle is such a gem I would happily trade in all my other saws to keep only this one, that's how impressed I am with it.

I think for a one and only saw at up to perhaps 14-16" of wood size it would be perfect - that is perfect for someone like me at least.
But as a second limbing and small tree saw to go along with my 50cc it is just too heavy to justify it as a second saw. 4 kg / 8.8 lbs or less would be more suitable in this particular combination as I see and feel it, if your other saw is a 60cc it might be a better match.

Have a peaceful and sober Christmas.

I've had a different experience with mine. I find it well made, light, and durable. It isn't a zippy fast limbing saw, tho. It's really more of a little firewood saw. Loads of torque, especially after an exhaust mod. We use it for small jobs on an estate.
It is under 10lbs once you remove the cat. It is one size smaller than the 490/500p chassis.
And it still has an aluminum handle.

168437896.XjS2shSm.DSC_1984.JPG

Second exhaust port:

168812832.PK8ZeORf.DSC_2168.JPG

Here it is sitting in front of the MS241, and it still looks much smaller:

168953132.VTn1poVD.DSC00757.jpg

Latest posts

Back